Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor

This is a discussion on Newbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; ...

Newbie in the ocean

Newbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor

Hello, first post from a newbie. I have just gotten a new humidor, ordered on the net. Itīs a Coiba Presidente Inclinado. Upon inspection I find 4 holes in the back of the humidor which I canīt really understand the reason for. Wonīt this just make it more difficult to keep an even temperature and humidity inside the humidor? Probably a very stupid question, but why are these holes there and should they be?

Re: Newbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor

Holes are not a good thing. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

why not ask the people you bought it from?
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Holes and humidor are generally not used in the same sentence, or thought process for that matter.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by felker14 View Post
    +1 to the pictures

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by felker14 View Post
    Newbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor-pic-1.jpgNewbie question, sorry - holes in the back of my humidor-pic-2.jpg

Ok, here we have some pictures. The first one shows the humidor itself, as Iīve understood it a fairly well regarded type. The second picture shows itīs backside, with what is obviously manufactured holes. I mailed the guy I bought it from to ask the same thing, but he didnīt know, and just suggested I get an electronic humidifier and forget about them.
    The manufacturer obviously wants these holes to be there, but I would think that they are mostly problematic. I was hoping that somebody on the forum had the same humidor and knew something about this issue.

Full grown Puffer Fish liquidicem's Avatar

Personally, I would mix up some cedar sawdust and wood glue or silicone and plug them up.

Disinterested

I cannot fathom why they are there, but I am 100% certain they shouldn't be. Either plug them, or dump it. I get the impression you're not the first owner, but if you have any recourse, I'd return it and take a different road.

Puffer Fish with some spikes paulb1970's Avatar

Nice humi you have there. I would consider a plug job if you don't feel like sending it back also. Those are NOT supposed to be there.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Is there a strip of thicker wood on the inside that corresponds to the holes? To me it looks like holes to mount it to the wall, but I could be wrong ( and it makes no sense anyway since its a glass top ).

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by liquidicem View Post
    Personally, I would mix up some cedar sawdust and wood glue or silicone and plug them up.
    Any concerns of fumes from glue or silione affecting the cigars? I havenīt put anything in the humidor yet, but Iīm waiting to. Any special glue you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    I cannot fathom why they are there, but I am 100% certain they shouldn't be. Either plug them, or dump it. I get the impression you're not the first owner, but if you have any recourse, I'd return it and take a different road.
    Actually I am the first owner, and it comes like this from the shop. Obviously the manufacturer wants these holes there and I canīt understand why either. I donīt want to dump it because I like it, apart from the holes that is.

Quote Originally Posted by paulb1970 View Post
    Nice humi you have there. I would consider a plug job if you don't feel like sending it back also. Those are NOT supposed to be there.
    Everybody seems to agree with you about the holes not supposed to be there. Itīs going to have to be plugs then, since I donīt want to send it back.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post
    Is there a strip of thicker wood on the inside that corresponds to the holes? To me it looks like holes to mount it to the wall, but I could be wrong ( and it makes no sense anyway since its a glass top ).
    That was exactly my first thought, holes for wall mounting, but I have no intention whatsoever to mount this one to any wall. Thereīs no corresponding extra wood inside, just a smooth inner wall. Initially I thought that the top shelf might cover the holes when pushed in place, but that doesnīt work either, and would make even less sense. I think Iīm going to try to contact the manufacturer and hear what they say.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

If it was intentional from the manufacturer this is the first time I have seen anyone put vent holes in a humidor that is pretty much rated on how good of a seal you have down to paper thin gaps where the lid closes.
    Im not so sure i would be pleased with the response you received from the seller. If he wont take it back or if you just want to keep it the first order is to plug those holes. Personally I would gt a dowel rod that is just a tad bit bigger then shave it down for a nice no glue fit and drive them in. Once you season it after the rods are in there they will swell making it nice and tight.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    If it was intentional from the manufacturer this is the first time I have seen anyone put vent holes in a humidor that is pretty much rated on how good of a seal you have down to paper thin gaps where the lid closes.
    Im not so sure i would be pleased with the response you received from the seller. If he wont take it back or if you just want to keep it the first order is to plug those holes. Personally I would gt a dowel rod that is just a tad bit bigger then shave it down for a nice no glue fit and drive them in. Once you season it after the rods are in there they will swell making it nice and tight.
    +1 on dowel rods

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Use hot glue... No fumes and no scent...
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Got to agree with Tim. looks like supports for some kind of mounting bracket. Do these holes go through 100% to the interior? If they don't it may hold RH with no issues. If it bothers you plug them with a dowel rod, stain the plug tips and be done(assuming this is all on the exterior).

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsdigital View Post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast