Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Starter Humidor Questions

This is a discussion on Starter Humidor Questions within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I've seen it said to get a bigger humidor than you think you need/want. At most I am 1-2 cigars ...

Young Fish

Starter Humidor Questions

I've seen it said to get a bigger humidor than you think you need/want. At most I am 1-2 cigars a week. Would I be ok with 20 count or should I get the 50? Say I bought the 50 and it took me a few months to fill - would it be OK to have a near empty humidor?

Appreciate any feedback/experiences.

Re: Starter Humidor Questions

No issue with a "near-empty" humidor. Buy a couple boveda packs and let it sit full or empty.

If you enjoy cigars, you may want to buy a 50 or 100 count as it will fill up relatively quickly.

ESPECIALLY if you spend time on this forum with all the great pics and "what are you smoking now" threads.

Yum. Makes me wanna smoke.

Puffer Fish with some spikes alexcue's Avatar

Bigger is better, what you may find, especially if you order cigars online is that you need to let your cigars rest. Some, the longer the better. Having a too small humidor, can limit this.

Don't worry, you'll be filling it up really soon. As long as you season properly and patiently, it will be fine.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LueyC's Avatar

My opinion, get the 50. That is what I started out with (2 months ago), and I now have 2 50's and a 20. And thanks to the devil site they are packed full, and I am looking upon the best way to get a coolidor going. I started out having one or 2 a week but lately I have been doubling that because the weather / opportunities have presented themselves. If you are worried about keeping RH in a nearly empty humidor, get a couple of Boveda packs at your preferred rh. Having the space will let you also let you age some sticks if you like.

Why do I gotta be Mr Pink dgold21's Avatar

Added bonus: The more cigars you have in your humidor, the faster the RH% recovers after opening the lid and gazing at them.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

Here's my take:

1. You live in Texas so the weather is pretty warm year round. If you smoke 1-2 cigars a week that adds up to about 100 cigars a year. Now, you should add in an additional 20-30 cigars per year for guests or cigars you may want to rest or age a long time.

2. If you're new to cigar smoking that 1-2 cigars a week may change to 3-4 or 4-6 a week. Things can change quickly So, you want to take that into consideration and plan for that possibility.

I suggest buying a 100 count humidor. This is more than enough for a person who smokes 1-2 cigars a week and will easily hold more if you begin to smoke more often. A 100 count will also give you the space to allow for more cigar options. If you end up liking say 3-4 lines of cigars you can have several of those on hand all the time.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

Close your eyes and delete this forum from your browser history and favorites! This places is nothing but full of enablers! II thought a wineador or would b big enough...came here to figure put how to build one...and now it's pretty much busting at the seems. I would say get at least a 50. It's nice to have the Extra space and something to take into consideration is that even though its rated for 50 most likely u will be able to get 35-40 in there depending on what vitolas u buy. I've never been able to actually fit the number of sticks a humidor is rated for in the humidor.

Young Fish

Thanks everyone. I'm confident it will always be 1-2 per week. My other hobby is running 50-100 mile races. Just not enough time in the day to do everything I enjoy so I relax on days I don't run. I think a 50 count will be perfect. Besides I'm moving back east in a few months. Texas is not a permanent stay.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

I would go for the 100 count which in reality is really 50 unless you smoke nothing but petite coronas.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Puffer Fish with many spikes tnlawyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CigarRunn3r View Post
    My other hobby is running 50-100 mile races.
    Good lord! Guess a marathon is just a warm up for you
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

Puffer Fish with many spikes A.McSmoke's Avatar

I think you'll be cool with a 50 count. I also smoke 2 a week, sometimes 3. When I go to a B&M, I'll bring home a few, and only order 5-10 bi-monthly. I have a few regular guest that enjoy cigars, so my humidor always has between 30-45 cigars with no rH issues.

If you know that you're going to be within the 1-3 weekly range, go ahead and get a nice 50 count that'll last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    I would go for the 100 count which in reality is really 50 unless you smoke nothing but petite coronas.
    Humidors builds tetris skills lol. I don't know how many times I've sat there re-arranging trying to squeeze more in

Young Fish

I'm good at tetris, no worries there. Marathons are fun, but the longer races are usually held out on trails. I'd rather run in the mountains or nice singletrack over the road any day.

Now as for 50 vs 100. I need to stop by my B&M on the way home and will check them out. Thanks again for talking me away from the 25. That would have been a mistake.

Keep us updated on what you end up with! Pics too! Everybody loves pics!

Puffer Fish with some spikes paulb1970's Avatar

+1 for at least a 50. I said the EXACT same thing you said, purchased a 20 which really doesn't hold 20 and added a 50 count because it seemed like I sneezed and it bam the 20 was full.
    3 humidors ago.....................I blame PUFF!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast