Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Seasoning my humidor...

This is a discussion on Seasoning my humidor... within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hey guys. Newbie Dacoda here again. Now, I'm getting a humidor. I've heard it's not recommended to season it. I ...

Newbie in the ocean

Seasoning my humidor...

Hey guys. Newbie Dacoda here again. Now, I'm getting a humidor. I've heard it's not recommended to season it. I found this absurd. Now, should I go about seasoning it or not?

Re: Seasoning my humidor...

definately season it. Here is a helpful link on seasoning your humidor. http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...w-humidor.html

Definitely season it

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Before you jump in too deep first step is to calibrate your hygrometer and then check to see where you are at. Sometimes the environment it was stored and shipped in leaves you already close to your target RH, especially during the summer months.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Disinterested

I can now retire

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    I can now retire
    Taught us well have you Yoda
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Puffer Fish with some spikes welborn's Avatar

people told me not to do the wipe down method because of risking warping the wood so i ordered the Boveda Seasoning kit and some 69 packs. Who has used this method and how does it work out? Does the seasoning work well? From what I understand its 14 days before I'm ready to put in my humidity packs. Also it will arrive before my new humidor does is there an ideal place/temperature to store the packs until I get everything up and running.

The packs come sealed, no worry about storing.
    Slow is good even though we at times get a little antsy.
    Following boveda instructions its 14 days of the seasoning kit then put it your media and wait for it to settle before adding sticks. Personally first thing on the agenda for me is to see where I am at with a calibrated hygrometer before doing anything.

Puffer Fish with some spikes SigMike's Avatar

I just recently went through setting up my first humi about a month ago. This is how I did it ( which doesn't make it right ).
    1. Like @JustinThyme stated...calibrate your hygro, it will tell you everything you need to know.
    2 I used 4 84% boveda packs to season my 100 ct humi. I left them in for 2 weeks until the Rh slowly got to 78-80%.
    3. I pulled the packs and let it rest for 2 days and checked my hygro. It read 70% for a couple days, so I knew the humi would hold Rh without anything in it.
    4. I added my 65% beads in the lid, and 65% sheet in the bottom of my humi. And then added my sticks and let them rest a couple weeks. Do not put too much distilled water on your beads. They will soak up the extra humidity the seasoning and your sticks.

I have had a functional humi for about a month now and it holds 65% like a rock. Be patient and it will be a rewarding process. I hope this helps.