Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Wineador Humidity question

This is a discussion on Wineador Humidity question within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Okay - So I got my wineador set up a few months ago - Kitty Litter @ about 3.5 lbs ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes GeauxTigers's Avatar

Wineador Humidity question

Okay - So I got my wineador set up a few months ago - Kitty Litter @ about 3.5 lbs in a 24 Bottle New Air.

After seasoning the cedar shelves, it dialed in to 62% rh. It was rock solid at between 62-63 with cigars for about a month. Then - I started noticing the middle would get to 66% while the top and bottom were staying at 62%. I have no fan, but with so much KL dispersed, I did not think it would matter.

Now for no good reason the whole thing is up to 66%. I did not add water or cigars to the wineador during this time... though I have been smoking quite a few. I'd guess I went from 150 sticks to around 100 over the last two months.

I live in a very dry region. 35% rh outside is high around here. 25% is common. So I am not sure where the extra humidity is coming from. Any ideas?

Re: Wineador Humidity question

Did you add water to the KL initially? If not, it would seem the only source of moisture would be from the cigars themselves.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

My guess is its nice and leveled out now. Ive seen others post of getting a spike after everything is thought to be leveled out. If you had a recent drop in ambient temp the cooler is running less so isnt pulling it down as much. The more sticks you have in it the more level it will remain. 66% sounds good to me unless you are targeting for less. Im happy to stay between 64%-66%
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

What are you doing with your drain. Could be what little condensation there is, and there is may be puddleing
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by copper0426 View Post
    What are you doing with your drain. Could be what little condensation there is, and there is may be puddleing
    Beat me to it

Another possible cause could indeed be temperature. Are you opening to read? Remember, warm air holds more moisture than cooler air, so a slight rise in ambient temp can affect the internal temp just enough to render a fluctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by copper0426 View Post

Thanks for the thoughts guys -- To this question, I used some electrical tape to plug it. I checked on that and did not see/feel any moister.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Beat me to it

Another possible cause could indeed be temperature. Are you opening to read? Remember, warm air holds more moisture than cooler air, so a slight rise in ambient temp can affect the internal temp just enough to render a fluctuation.
    On this front - It is staying pretty close to 64 in there. It has dropped to 61 a few times. I do not open to read rh levels... except I have been lately trying to bring the rh down by opening for a few minutes at a time. Nothing is budging right now though. It is ROCKED at 66%.

I really would like to get it down to 62%.

Disinterested

The only option I know for 62% is Boveda. Otherwise, I suppose you could try and train cat litter to that. Not an option I'd explore though.