Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wineador - all the cool kids are doing it!

This is a discussion on Wineador - all the cool kids are doing it! within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Okay, who doesn't love a wineador thread? I went with the NewAir 280 because I liked the black look better ...

Righteously Bitchin' voiceoverguy's Avatar

Wineador - all the cool kids are doing it!

Okay, who doesn't love a wineador thread? I went with the NewAir 280 because I liked the black look better than the stainless 281. I got mine online from Sears (cashed in a bunch of rewards points, plus a coupon, plus free shipping).

I let it sit for a couple weeks with the door open hoping the plastic smell would just magically dissipate - well, that didn't work. So I went with a distilled vinegar wipe-down. Mixed the vinegar with distilled water (4 parts DW to 1 part vinegar). Then I stuffed it full of newspaper and a couple empty boxes and let it run for a few days.

I debated with myself whether to use Boveda or HF beads. I ended up going with the HF beads. 2.5lbs showed up on my doorstep yesterday. I went with the beads because of their track record in everyone else's wineadors - Boveda still seems somewhat 'untested' in a wineador setting (only read a couple of successful cases).

I ordered my drawers from Forrest, though I initially thought of doing them myself with a woodworker friend of mine. Ultimately, it was just easier to order them and know that I wouldn't have to worry about anything based on all of the great work Forrest has done for everyone else. My drawers should arrive later this week.

I love how everyone has 'logo-ed' the glass with graphics on their builds, and figured I would jump on the bandwagon. I'd be interested to hear how everyone went about getting the graphics made up?

Sorry for the long post - I'll end with a few pictures and a promise to post many more as the build progresses. I'm open to any input anyone may have regarding their builds or lessons learned!

Re: Wineador - all the cool kids are doing it!

:
    Let me know if the vinegar-then-paper technique works, Chris.
    I'm at that stage over here too.
    Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
    :
    Let me know if the vinegar-then-paper technique works, Chris.
    I'm at that stage over here too.
    Will do. I'm fighting very hard the urge to open the door and take a test smell, but I know the longer I let it sit unopened, the better off I'll be! I'll let you know in a couple of days-

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

I did a wipe down with 50/50 Vinegar/DW followed by baking soda/water then stuffed it with paper for 48 hours then wiped it down with DW until all the baking soda residue was gone and the smell was gone too. Two days worked. I left a box of baking soda in it until my drawers arrived for a preemptive measure should any plastic odors decide to emerge but not sure it really did anything other than make me feel better.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Disinterested

Really, there's not a lot to it. When we first started seeing a lot of wineadors, they were actually "builds", with guys over-thinking circulation and temperature and rigging every imaginable configuration of fans and out board temp controllers. Now, cooler (and lazier) heads have prevailed and realized there's no need for all the widgetry. Once you've got the odor sorted - and you're very much on the right track - get your drawers, put them in and take a good reading, like over night. If you find you need to season, simply wipe them down a time, or two and throw sticks in it. Since you went with beads, you won't need to replace the battery in your hygro next time it dies

I'd put a couple of Boveda packs on the floor and then a small amount of beads in each drawer. I had to convert much of my beads to Boveda, since I'm just flat desperate for space.

Stagger the placement of your beads like this, but front to back:

___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___

Beads > ___

Thanks for the info. I've heard it said in a few threads not to complicate things, so I'm trying not to overthink it. I have no plans to add any additional fans - and I think I'll leave my drain unplugged for the time being till I can get a feel for things.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post

___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___

Beads > ___
    Forgive me if I'm a bit dense, but I'm not sure I catch the jist of your 'well illustrated' diagram... maybe I'm just missing something...

Disinterested

Stagger them opposingly; front, back, front, back...

Definitely plug the drain. Once things stabilize, you won't get any condensation. I stuck a sponge in the little recess area for about a month, to collect what little bit there was. Just make sure it's in there guten tight, so it doesn't lean out and stain your shelf.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Really, there's not a lot to it. When we first started seeing a lot of wineadors, they were actually "builds", with guys over-thinking circulation and temperature and rigging every imaginable configuration of fans and out board temp controllers. Now, cooler (and lazier) heads have prevailed and realized there's no need for all the widgetry. Once you've got the odor sorted - and you're very much on the right track - get your drawers, put them in and take a good reading, like over night. If you find you need to season, simply wipe them down a time, or two and throw sticks in it. Since you went with beads, you won't need to replace the battery in your hygro next time it dies

I'd put a couple of Boveda packs on the floor and then a small amount of beads in each drawer. I had to convert much of my beads to Boveda, since I'm just flat desperate for space.

___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___
    ___
    ******___

Beads > ___
    Awesome... Thanks for the layout...
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Okay - update - Drawers arrive tomorrow. My vinegar/DW wipe-down (which I did twice) and then let it sit with crumpled up newspaper did not work as well as I planned to remove the smell. So I took Rob's advice and did a baking soda/DW wipe-down and my wineador is currently reading the Wall Street Journal until tomorrow night.

I'll post pics of shelves tomorrow - I went with the zebrawood upgrade (always loved the look of zebrawood...) so I'm excited to see how they've turned out!

I think I win the lazy award.

Received wineador, ran with tons of cedar in it for ab 5 hrs. opened for 2 hrs while playing in it. put cigars in. smell gone. lol.

I also have a lot of KL and bovedas floating around.

Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Another great wineador build. Can't wait to see the shelves and the completed project. I just sent Forrest the information on the two units I'm looking at getting, so hopefully I'll have both ordered in the next few weeks.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

near identical to my setup. herf is right dont over complicate it. it is ridiculously easy.

WOOT! Drawers arrived today! Oh man are they gorgeous!

So I cleaned out the baking soda and newspaper. Blew out the drawers with canned air, then wiped them down with DW and a new sponge (this was more for the leftover sawdust than any sort of seasoning attempt). I've got the drawers in there and I'll take a reading over the next 24 hours or so. Pics below - Drawers, door closed, door open, and close up of the zebra wood.

I was thinking about putting my hygros on the front of the drawers, but they're so good looking, I'd hate to stick something to them...

Next step - decal for the door (and fill with sticks obviously!)

you went with the same setup I did, 4 and 2, but now mine is divided up between 2 wineadors. haha. I need another drawer or two. That zebrawood is shmexy. Hurry up with the sticks already!

Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

That turned out fantastic. I really like the zebra wood. Thanks for sharing.
    Keep calm and burn one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast