Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Electric or Kerosene - Garage Exiles Weigh In

This is a discussion on Electric or Kerosene - Garage Exiles Weigh In within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; My dad's got a Modine Hot Dawg heater. It's mounted up in a corner, I believe it's hooked up the ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

Re: Electric or Kerosene - Garage Exiles Weigh In

My dad's got a Modine Hot Dawg heater. It's mounted up in a corner, I believe it's hooked up the house's gas line, and has an exhaust fan out the side of his workshop which is a room underneath the garage that the furnace doesn't heat. Not sure if you can just order one online though, my dad had a modine employee hook him up with one. You'd have to find a dealer/contractor in your area. It's really nice.

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    I have a single one like that and love it. It does have a lot of heat, but the single only covers about a 5' range. I think the double or triple would be perfect for your space.
    It's hard to say I only use that when I'm competing in a BBQ comp or camping / fishing so I'm always using it outdoors in a tent or in some type of EZ-UP setup. I think it would be a lot more efficient if you cranked it up to heat up the room and then turned it down to maintain the heat.

Maturing Puffer Fish

All of the propane models I've seen are marked for outdoor use only. Do you worry about carbon monoxide?

No longer a community member.

I have to go electric for space heaters. I'm not entirely sure why, but the kerosene and propane ones tend to give me a headache. (and no, it was not the beginnings of CM poisoning ) I have one of those fake electric woodstove/fireplace contraptions from Lowes, and it works pretty well in our den downstairs. Plus- it adds ambiance

Puffer Fish with some spikes JRM03's Avatar

Don, is propane an option for you? I only ask because I was in your shoes at the beginning of winter and needed something for the garage. I used a kerosene torpedo for awhile and it did work well, but the fumes even after lit and the room being vented was quite pungent. You get used to it until a buddy stops by and he gives you the face of; You are actually sitting in here?. Electric is terribly inefficient and depending on where you are can be quite expensive. Since its a garage I'm guessing you have concrete and there you are again with it sucking the heat up constantly. I went with one of the wall mount Vent Free Mr. Heaters for NG (like Josh Huskers posted but no plates just flame) and I can't be any happier. it puts off a ton of heat with a small fan and also is thermostatically controlled to allow it to regulate the flame or completely shut off until heat is needed. This model is also available in propane so a matter of some copper tubing outside to a large propane cylinder and you'd be set. It can be mounted on the floor with feet as the picture shows as well. Its a great experience to be able to sit in the once cold garage in comfort and enjoy a cigar anytime you want when the weather doesn't allow. I was fortunate enough to have a buddy who is an HVAC guy so it only cost me about $300 and some homemade wine for everything. Good luck
    Last edited by JRM03; 01-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Ya'll have put up some great suggestions and recommendations

If you have ever wished you had a.c in the summer, read on

I built myself a detached office 18' X 18' and didn't plumb it for nat. gas because I didn't want to give up the wall space.
    So I wired up some 220 for an A.C./heater wall unit. It is of course much cheaper to run than a 110v unit. 2900 btu heats up the room quickly. 11500 btu cooling. Here is a link;

LG LW1210HR: 10,000 BTU Window Air Conditioner with remote | LG USA

I have had it for several years and it has been discontinued. Yet apparently is still available for purchase. Perhaps a new model will be more efficient.

Something like this to heat the room quickly combined with using your wood stove for longer periods might be useful.
    It has a limited function 12 hour timer that you can use to toggle the number of hours you want it to run and then shut off automatically. Or, the number of hours you want it to wait before it turns itself on. (At that point it will run until you turn it off) But sadly, they didn't make it possible to easily interface with a truly programmable thermostat. Hopefully a new model will.

It is undeniable that any combustion unit does produce byproducts. Usually that includes carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide... But depending on how much and how drafty the space is, it can be quite safe.

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Maturing Puffer Fish crash-wizard's Avatar

I had a Mr. Heater two burner tank top heater that heats up a two car garage very well during Wisconsin winters. By putting a small fan behind it the garage was heated more evenly. The reflector was very shiny when new but after about ten years it was very rusty. I replaced it with a torpedo style propane heater that also heats well but the internal fan is very noisy, almost like a small jet engine. I will probably be going back to some brand of double burner unit. You may want to stick with something you can feed off of a 25 lb. propane cylinder as opposed to something that uses the small bottles of propane, more cost efficient.
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Young Fish

i live in the south where night temps usually only drop to about 30. i had a regular oil filled electric radiator for the garage. worked very well for many years at keeping the temps above 60+. it just went out and i bought a $50 quartz heater with blower from the big orange box. so far so good! both are 1500 watts/12.5 amps.

ZS Reserve Officer

I have a radiant propane tank top heater for the garage in the winter.

As an aside on those Mr. Heater rigs, the camping ones that are run from the 1lb canisters (or 20lb with hose) are ceramic elements with a grill to protect them. Their tank top heaters, however, are a meshed metal and aren't nearly as efficient.

Young Puffer Fish

Electric heat is not hot enough and kerosene smells....propane is the only way to go....I have a double tank top heater and it keeps my 2 car garage warm enough even with the door cracked

Maturing Puffer Fish

I had two 6 foot, electric baseboard heaters installed in my workshop (860 sq ft) and they heat the room with ease.

It's a permanent solution and a very safe solution to meet your needs and it won't cost too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2