Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kitty litter

This is a discussion on Kitty litter within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; From what I've found around on videos and such, 1 cup of kitty litter and about 1/3 DW. Hopefully that ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: Kitty litter

From what I've found around on videos and such, 1 cup of kitty litter and about 1/3 DW. Hopefully that helps.

1 lb for every 100 sticks is a good place to start. I use bread loaf pans in my setup as there is plenty of room for them. Some guys use media bags from aquarium stores. I just use simple pans with the top open.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I'm also using the MiMi brand KL and for my 20qt setup, i'm using about a half a cup of the MiMi KL. Also, I chose to keep the KL DRY at first to see the ambient rH in the tupperdor with my hygrometer and Spanish cedar boxes/sheets/dividers. Left it for 24hrs and checked the hygrometer. I had to spray some DW on the KL to raise the rH considering its not very humid at all in my home. I would start off dry first and see where u stand to use as a baseline. then go from there to adjust your humidity before throwing the sticks in there. GL man.

^ Very good advice. With my setup it takes 2-3 days to normalize after making changes. i.e. adding moisture or drying the KL to reduce RH level.

Also, when adding sticks many times it takes a couple of days to settle down. Most times I add a box at a time and sometimes they are at the same moisture level as the rest of the stogies, sometimes not. Addition of sticks can drive RH levels up or down for a 2-3 day adjustment period while they normalize to my storage conditions.

To dry the KL out, I put it in the oven at the lowest heat setting of 170 F for an hour or so. To add moisture use a small spray bottle filled with distilled water and spray. I put the KL from both bread pans into a large stainless steel salad bowl and toss it while spritzing it with the spray bottle.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by defetis View Post
    The majority of people use kitty litter to add humidity
    not true. you can lower humidity just as easily as you can raise it with KL

Aw, You just made me ink defetis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    not true. you can lower humidity just as easily as you can raise it with KL

Didnt say you couldn't keyword majority

Silca kitty litter is a two-way humidifier releases and absorbs as needed to maintain 65RH

My water to KL ratio is not very specific. I stole one of my wife's hose, please don't tell her, filled it with KL, placed it in a tupperware and maybe sprayed it 4-5 times with DW. I threw it in one of those dorm room fridges and within a a few hours my fridge-a-dor was at 70 and has settled and held at 69.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Everyone's humidity preference is different. I find that my local B&M is a lil wet for me at 71rH. I'm more of a 65rh from what I've been smoking out of my tupperdor 20qt. Figure out where u want to hold it and add DW as needed to maintain what you are looking for.

Also, I've read that if u add new sticks in, the rH will raise considering most suppliers keep their rH high to compensate during shipping.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

kitty litter rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    kitty litter rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm with Tony!! I'm right around a year on kitty liter exclusively in my coolidor and 50 ct humidor and still have plenty of my original 4 pound bag left.

Puffer Fish with some spikes cutpaperglue's Avatar

^^^ +1

Pretty much jumped directly from a boveda in a small Tupperware to KL all around in a cooler and wineador and it works wonderfully. I too have a lot left in the bag. Unbeatable value, if you ask me.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Sorry to derail but this seems a good a spot as any ask.

I have 1 1/2 lbs of hf beads in my wineador which works ok, but think another 1/2 lb would've been better. If I was to throw a 1/2-1 lb of kl in there maybe would they "train" themselves up to the 65% of the beads and all things even out? Is it that simple?

My question to you guys would be how often do you guys spray the crystals? I noticed that i have to spray usually 1 a week. Is that normal? I try keep my collider at 65%

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    My question to you guys would be how often do you guys spray the crystals? I noticed that i have to spray usually 1 a week. Is that normal? I try keep my collider at 65%
    What's a collider? A desktop/tabletop humidor? Seems like in the winter months, when gas heat was on, humidity levels low it was a weekly thing with the desktops.

Puffer Fish with some spikes cutpaperglue's Avatar

I think that was supposed to be coolidor, i.e. a cooler chest humi.

In my setups, I try to avoid spraying the crystals directly after everything is seasoned. If the humidity drops, I have a new sponge in a cut-down pint takeout tub which I spray a couple of times with distilled water and place in the humidor to bring things back to the right level. This way I avoid accidentally giving my cigars a shower trying to get water on the KL, and there's no chance of hurting the crystals or their special coating by getting too much liquid on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast