Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Kitty litter

This is a discussion on Kitty litter within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; My use of kitty litter is as follows: More is better. You simply can't have enough. Obviously this is a ...

Re: Kitty litter

My use of kitty litter is as follows:

More is better. You simply can't have enough. Obviously this is a trade off on space to store cigars So you just have to find an amount you're okay with, and that maintains humidity.

Can you have too little? Yeah. Your humidity will gradually and continually drop. That means you don't have enough.

My coolidor setup (for anyone interested or finds this in the future):
    I have little plastic tubs from baby food from our daughter (they come in plastic rectangular tubs or the old little glass jars. Either will work). I filled up enough to make a layer on the bottom of my coolidor with about 1" of space between them (room for air to circulate). You can easily find these from folks with babies. Or just buy the food when on sale for like 50 cents each and dump the food, keep the containers.

I cannibalized some cigar boxes built from solid spanish cedar. Look at the edge of the wood - if it looks like a sandwich of wood, it's not solid. Try to find some at a local shop. Usually pricier cigars have boxes made of solid spanish cedar. You can also buy some on eBay if you want.

I then placed that layer of spanish cedar slats on top of my containers full of kitty litter.

I picked one baby food container and put some distilled water in it, maybe a tablespoon or so. Then I dropped my hygrometer in there, and I shut my coolidor lid. Each day I'd peek in, and add a bit more water into that one container until it got to the humidity range I wanted (65% in this case). This not only seasons the spanish cedar slats, but also the kitty litter.

Then I added cigars....and two Boveda 65% packs on top.

The Boveda packs on top absorb and release humidity, just like the kitty litter on the bottom. In my head this keeps the humidity sort of circulating around on its own.

My coolidor tends to be pretty stable. I've only had to recharge a Boveda pack once in about a year. The bonus of the bottom section is also that random cigars sometime fall down there and you discover a well rested stogie from boxes past that you thought were long gone
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    And as far as the noob trades are concerned. Since i do not have any trade experience on this site. I need to stat off with being an "NP" before i can start becoming one of the senior type members to give noobs something to start off with. It is my plan to start helping as soon as I can.
    Just wanted to quickly interject something regarding this - I run the Noobie Sampler Trade and all noobs are welcome. I don't care if 1,000 noobs are signed up waiting for Friendly Trading Puffers. The great thing about Puff is that eventually those noobs will get samplers from FTP's. Sometimes the noob list grows, sometimes the FTP list grows, but eventually it all works out.

No noobie to Puff should ever feel they're a burden for signing up for the Noobie Sampler Trade. As Jonathan said, it's the way to build reputation in trading around here so you can become part of the trading community. And it gets you a tasty sampler of cigars too
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter2 View Post
    Just wanted to quickly interject something regarding this - I run the Noobie Sampler Trade and all noobs are welcome. I don't care if 1,000 noobs are signed up waiting for Friendly Trading Puffers. The great thing about Puff is that eventually those noobs will get samplers from FTP's. Sometimes the noob list grows, sometimes the FTP list grows, but eventually it all works out.

No noobie to Puff should ever feel they're a burden for signing up for the Noobie Sampler Trade. As Jonathan said, it's the way to build reputation in trading around here so you can become part of the trading community. And it gets you a tasty sampler of cigars too
    Thank you Mike. I am so excited to be part of the Noobie Sampler Trade and I cant wait to get some more time on Puff so I can return the favor. I think you have something great going on with that. As soon as i meet the time requirement you can count on seeing me back as an FTP. and maybe by then I will have some really nice sticks to help out a fellow noob.

sorry, i did mean coolidor. I noticed that i have to spray the crystals about 1 a week. Is this normal? or am i doing something wrong?

when you guys talk about kitty litter, having two cats (don't even like cats--they wandered in 9 years ago and evidently live here--my wife adopts 'em and I feed 'em) I have seen a variety of this stuff from dusty to blue crystals. Question is, has anyone tried the blue crystals which have little odor and are nice and clean. thanks

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    My question to you guys would be how often do you guys spray the crystals? I noticed that i have to spray usually 1 a week. Is that normal? I try keep my collider at 65%
    I don't touch it unless the humidity drops. I went 9 months without touching the KL in the coolidor. Humidity stayed rock solid around 65-67 the entire 9 months. After 9 months it finally started dropping and then I sprayed it. I'm more than sold on KL and don't see any reason for me to use anything else.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Erectus View Post
    when you guys talk about kitty litter, having two cats (don't even like cats--they wandered in 9 years ago and evidently live here--my wife adopts 'em and I feed 'em) I have seen a variety of this stuff from dusty to blue crystals. Question is, has anyone tried the blue crystals which have little odor and are nice and clean. thanks
    Basically you want something that's made up of unscented silica. Most people swear by the Exquisicat brand. I personally use Mimi brand KL. It's what was available to me. As long as it's unscented and made of silica, you should be good.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by teckneekz View Post
    Basically you want something that's made up of unscented silica. Most people swear by the Exquisicat brand. I personally use Mimi brand KL. It's what was available to me. As long as it's unscented and made of silica, you should be good.
    I'm a mimi brand user too and based on my below results I see no reason to use a higher priced option. I paid under $5 for a 4lb bag over a year ago and I still have a half a bag remaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky70 View Post
    ...I went 9 months without touching the KL in the coolidor. Humidity stayed rock solid around 65-67 the entire 9 months. After 9 months it finally started dropping and then I sprayed it. I'm more than sold on KL and don't see any reason for me to use anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky70 View Post
    I'm a mimi brand user too and based on my below results I see no reason to use a higher priced option. I paid under $5 for a 4lb bag over a year ago and I still have a half a bag remaining.
    thanks very much, Erectus

Quote Originally Posted by teckneekz View Post
    thanks very much, Erectus

Just like others I have had great luck using KL and for the money I think for me it is the best thing to use. Rock solid at 67rh for the last 4 months in my big tupperdor with around 300 sticks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3