Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Kitty litter

This is a discussion on Kitty litter within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Okay so i rushed out to buy everything to build a quick tupperdor to house my new acquisitions while my ...

Kitty litter

Okay so i rushed out to buy everything to build a quick tupperdor to house my new acquisitions while my humidors season. now i just need some help with what to do with the kitty litter. I bought a 17qt container for like $4 and have it sitting in the sun right now but i was wondering if there is formula for how much MiMi kitty litter to use? and how much i should wet it? i am using the plans from @chris1360 post on the ultra cheap tupperdor. and hopefully will have the environment right in the next 2 days.

Aw, You just made me ink defetis's Avatar

Re: Kitty litter

The search function on this site is your best friend. There is minimum 20 threads about kitty litter setups. Less posting more reading

Quote Originally Posted by defetis View Post
    The search function on this site is your best friend. There is minimum 20 threads about kitty litter setups. Less posting more reading
    Yeah i found a bunch but they ended up just being a lot of people going back and forth about beads vs. kitty litter. with no real answers.

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Yeah i found a bunch but they ended up just being a lot of people going back and forth about beads vs. kitty litter. with no real answers.
    I dont think you searched very hard. I searched coolidor kitty litter set up. second thread

Kitty litter set- up.

you have to understand, when people make a thousand posts about the same topic that many members have already answered questions on it makes the site really old. For example, all the NOOB trades you've signed up for. They have been taking forever to get done due to lack of senior members have the urge to participate. Read @huskers thread about change in people on the site. Many members posted their annoyed answering same old questions every day. Also, posting about how you want to get you posts up so you can have access to other parts of the site doesn't look to good. Just remember, read more post less. Searching is everything

I haven't been on here that long either. But I've done a hell of a lot of reading

I dont think you searched very hard. I searched coolidor kitty litter set up. second thread

Kitty litter set- up.

you have to understand, when people make a thousand posts about the same topic that many members have already answered questions on it makes the site really old. For example, all the NOOB trades you've signed up for. They have been taking forever to get done due to lack of senior members have the urge to participate. Read @huskers thread about change in people on the site. Many members posted their annoyed answering same old questions every day. Also, posting about how you want to get you posts up so you can have access to other parts of the site doesn't look to good. Just remember, read more post less. Searching is everything

I haven't been on here that long either. But I've done a hell of a lot of reading
    I agree with searching before posting but as you can see in that post it got way off topic and I probably should have specified that i live in a dry climate and need to add humidity rather than take it way like most of he kitty litter posts are about on the east coast. and trust me i have done a lot of reading on puff before i even joined.

And as far as the noob trades are concerned. Since i do not have any trade experience on this site. I need to stat off with being an "NP" before i can start becoming one of the senior type members to give noobs something to start off with. It is my plan to start helping as soon as I can.

The majority of people use kitty litter to add humidity

No longer a community member.

Kitty litter set- up.

I'm a firm believer in the search button.

You may not find your answer in the first thread you click on but rest assured, you will find your answer in one of those threads.

I see some of the same old threads pop up and I have to admit, I do get tired of answering the same old question time after time.

On the other hand, we are all here to help each other out and if we didn't have any new threads, there would be very little posting.

You are both good dudes, I hope you stay active here.

Kitty litter set- up.

Unfortunately this is the inevitability of any blog. People go there to learn and feel a sense of community. Eventually you've learned what you can, you've told all your life stories and experiences and heard everyone else's stories. The young puffer fish start answering all the questions that we used to ask the mods and the old timers about. And soon, the new young puffers will be answering all those questions instead of us. The one difference with this forum is that the mods have been diligent about not forcing people to search and want them to feel comfortable asking questions, even if its one that has been answered a gazillion times. While I always search for an answer first, if I can't find it I never feel like I have to search it first and you guys should feel the same level of comfort. PEACE!

Here is my take on kitty litter.It must be unscented silica litter. I use exquisicat sold in plastic jugs and maybe bags but not sure. You should put some in an airtight container and check what the RH is. The stuff I bought was at 59% out the jug.

I read, here at Puff, you should figure out how many cubic inches of storage you have and then go to the HF site and see what the recommended amount of beads should be, by weight. Double this for kitty litter. Or, as I did, just put a bunch in the tupperdor. If the RH is lower than you prefer, very lightly spritz the litter. get a spray bottle from wally world or most any hardware store. Use only distilled water. Check again where you are compared to where you want to be. On the chance you spritzed to much, just add more dry litter. The indicator the litter is being used properly depends on having confidence in your hygrometer.

I use it dry because the area I live in is a swamp and very humid. I sometimes notice the RH rising so I swap out the litter for dry stuff and dry the removed litter using the microwave.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Maturing Puffer Fish

Yup, just toss some in your preferred holding vessel and spritz a little distilled water in there. I have a pair of bundles, maybe 1/2 lb and used the steam from the water I was heating to add some humidity to them (because I had no DW). That's been enough for my cooler. If my hygrometer starts to read a little low, I'll just add a bits of DW.

Just do it, what's the worst you can do?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish McFortner's Avatar

"HF site"? OK, that acronym has me thrown for a loop.
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    (An Eastern Orthodox prayer. I need all the help I can get right now....)

Quote Originally Posted by McFortner View Post
    "HF site"? OK, that acronym has me thrown for a loop.
    He is referring to Heartfelt, Heartfelt industries sells humidity beads.

I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish McFortner's Avatar

Ah, thanks. I never would have figured that out on my own since I kept trying to make the 'H' stand for humidor.
    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    (An Eastern Orthodox prayer. I need all the help I can get right now....)

I use the cheap Kroger silica kitty litter. A spritz of distilled water, if needed. Never thought to collect steam, though. Guess I won't be buying any more distilled water. This appeals to my inner "Cheap bastard." Er, frugal self.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast