Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What type of cut do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What type of cut do you prefer? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Xikar Xi1. Can't beat the warranty....

Full grown Puffer Fish PlatinumRespect's Avatar

Re: What type of cut do you prefer?

Xikar Xi1. Can't beat the warranty.

I will use a double guillotine on small ring gage and punch everything else.

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Recently started using a v cutter and I like it very much. Now I routinely use v cutter for parejos and a Xikar guillotine for figurados.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSkyy View Post
    I completely forgot about the knives and scissors. Anyone ever tried one of those shuriken cutters? Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced enough to buy one and try it.
    I've tried everything including the Shuriken cutter and I always fall back to just using a cheap Colibri double guillotine. The shuriken worked fine, but I found that you need to put about 1/2" to 3/4" of the nub into your mouth for it to work fine. At the end of the day simple is always better when it comes to cigar IMHO, and straight cut and a match are almost always my go to accessories.

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Regular cut with a Cuban Perfect Cutter is my preferred, and when I'm on the go or for the smaller gauge smokes, a punch. I haven't tried the V-cut yet.

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brimy623 View Post
    I like a punch.
    I guess it's because my "cheap" guillotine tends to mess up my shoulders. Been hearing a lot about the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter & may try one.
    IMO, it's one of the best cutters around. I have two, and just gave one away as a gift.

Aw, You just made me ink defetis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I punch everything that allows for it. Typically I just use old 22 shells with the tips chopped off and the edge sharpened.
    you sir are a bad ass

Young Puffer Fish

V-cut, use to use a punch before that.

Puffer Fish with some spikes djcsewell's Avatar

cuban crafters perfect cutters. IMPOSSIBLE to fu#k up your cut! You'd have to go out of your way to try to mess it the cut up.
    Life is too short to smoke dog rockets

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

I completely forgot about the knives and scissors. Anyone ever tried one of those shuriken cutters? Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced enough to buy one and try it.
    I'd avoid them like the plague, unless you love frustration when you smoke. I was super-interested in these as well, until every review I've heard on them (including on this forum if you search) said that they aren't worth it, even though most people get them cheap or free.

That being said, if someone had one, I'd try it once, because I'm foolish and why not? (I'd pick a cheap cigar)

I have almost exclusively used a Xikar Xi3 since starting to smoke cigars, although I received a Palio last week and used that once. I preferred the Xikar really. But my Cuban Crafters punch arrived last night, and I tried it out this morning. I'm sold on the punch for now. I can better direct and focus smoke during my draw, and noticed a vastly different tasting experience this time around. I will continue with punch and see if the trend stays, although I have a Xikar v Cutter coming this week as well, so I'll want to play with that too.
    I <3 Cigars

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    I'd avoid them like the plague, unless you love frustration when you smoke. I was super-interested in these as well, until every review I've heard on them (including on this forum if you search) said that they aren't worth it, even though most people get them cheap or free.
    That is what I figured. Just didn't look like it would work that well. I was also curious about tar buildup considering you would only be smoking through slits with the cap still in place.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by apollo View Post
    Not saying cigar smoke does not have bad things in it, but the residue from the primer and powder contains some bad things (mercury, lead, etc). I would not put those things into something I was going to smoke/put into my mouth.
    If I were to do it, I think a through cleaning would be in order. On the other hand, I see that you can already buy punches that look like a cartridge.

If I were to do it, I think a through cleaning would be in order. On the other hand, I see that you can already buy punches that look like a cartridge.
    Good on ya' for thinking about that. I spend a decent amount of my year shooting and competing. I shake my head at some of the things my fellow shooters do after exposure. Thought I'd throw my post out there, as to make someone would twice about doing so with a dirty spent casing.

Just my little PSA.
    Bad decisions make good stories.

I punch, unless the cigar is pointed, in which case I use my Cuban Crafter cutter.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Normally a double guillotine cut, but since I managed to throw away my cutter in a (not quite) empty box, a well sharpened Sabatier chef's knife and clean board do the trick well enough.

At least, until my new cutter arrives.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast