Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What type of cut do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What type of cut do you prefer? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I use my Cuban Crafter cutter. it very good to cut down the cigar....

No longer a community member.

Re: What type of cut do you prefer?

I use my Cuban Crafter cutter. it very good to cut down the cigar.

Over the years, I have acquired punches, v-cutters single and double blade cutters, a table top cutter that cut v's and sliced the cap and even a Shurican cutter. Most get lost in my travels.

95% of the time, a CC Perfect cutter is used,3% of the time, a v-cutter and the rest of the time anything handy such as a pocket knife or my teeth is used.

As noted in my signature, these statistic may be off a little bit!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

I prefer to use a punch on a standard capped cigar. Not as much risk for me screwing it up and wrecking the stick.

Torpedos I use a double blade cutter. I don't recall the brand of mine, came in a gift set with some Diesel cigars. Colibri I think?

Honestly don't have much experience with anything else. Started just using a razorblade or pocket knife, tried a cheapo plastic single blade cutter, went back to pocket knife. Started punching by accident, didn't know it was a "thing" when I took a piece of rifle brass and punched a hole in the end of a stick just to try it. Then I started reading about cigars online and learned about different ways to cut cigars, I still use a brass ammo case for a punch.

Leading Puffer Fish demuths1770's Avatar

I love the punch. I use it on almost all cigars. I do want a v cutter to try it out

Puffer Fish with many spikes A.McSmoke's Avatar

I use a Xikar X-V Cutter majority of the time. Like the CC Perfect Cut, it's almost impossible to ruin the cap. Have one of these too but rarely use it. The V cut gives me a good amount of smoke without over heating the cigar and minimizing flavor

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

My favorite cut is probably the punch cut, but I'm a bit lazy so I usually just use a guillotine cutter and nip of the cap. I tend to apply a little too much pressure when I'm using the punch cut and end up cracking the wrapper if it's of a thinner variety.

I prefer the "V" cut, but enjoy the punch as well. Problem with a punch is you have to have a good cutter to cut deep or you won't get a good draw.

Full grown Puffer Fish LewZephyr's Avatar

Xikar XV - Vcut is my goto.
    Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter is my next in line for the smaller sticks that a V-cut would destroy.

Full grown Puffer Fish PlatinumRespect's Avatar

I've always told myself I'm going to get a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter, but am always held back by the thought that if the cut need to be fixed if the draw gets too snug, I'm pretty much out of luck. Or is that impossible because the cutter is "perfect"? LOL

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

My teeth or the belt sander...

Full grown Puffer Fish LewZephyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumRespect View Post
    I've always told myself I'm going to get a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter, but am always held back by the thought that if the cut need to be fixed if the draw gets too snug, I'm pretty much out of luck. Or is that impossible because the cutter is "perfect"? LOL
    They are pretty cheap for how well they work. I think I got mine for 15 on Amazon. Ok maybe it was 20.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Only V-cuts and guillotine cuts. Have never used or tried a punch-cut
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Just1ce View Post
    My favorite cut is probably the punch cut, but I'm a bit lazy so I usually just use a guillotine cutter and nip of the cap. I tend to apply a little too much pressure when I'm using the punch cut and end up cracking the wrapper if it's of a thinner variety.
    It's probably not the pressure you're using. It's probably the punch. Look closely at your punch. If the "knife taper" is on the outside of the cylinder, it acts like a wedge and causes the cap to split as it is pushed (and twisted) into the cap. If the "knife taper" is on the inside of the cylinder, it will compress the 'plug' and will not cause the cap to split. XiKar punch cutters are a well made tool with the "knife taper" on the inside of the cutting cylinder.

I've carried a brass shell casing for many years. It was cleaned and sharpened by a retired gunsmith. Keep it in my pocket every day with a rubber cap to protect the edge. Great little punch. Also carry a XiKar (teardrop) purchased back in 1998. I use different tools for different cigars depending on what seems best at the moment.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    It's probably not the pressure you're using. It's probably the punch. Look closely at your punch. If the "knife taper" is on the outside of the cylinder, it acts like a wedge and causes the cap to split as it is pushed (and twisted) into the cap. If the "knife taper" is on the inside of the cylinder, it will compress the 'plug' and will not cause the cap to split. XiKar punch cutters are a well made tool with the "knife taper" on the inside of the cutting cylinder.

I've carried a brass shell casing for many years. It was cleaned and sharpened by a retired gunsmith. Keep it in my pocket every day with a rubber cap to protect the edge. Great little punch. Also carry a XiKar (teardrop) purchased back in 1998. I use different tools for different cigars depending on what seems best at the moment.
    I never though of that. You're absolutely right. I looked at the punch cutter and the taper is on the outside. It's a little cheapie I picked up on cbid.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I've had a punch which I flirted around with but never really enjoyed, a V-cut that I liked but I think my favorite is still just the double guillotine. Unfortunately my double guillotine crapped out on me this past weekend. Fortunately I picked up a Cuban crafters Perfect Cutter the next day after all the rave reviews I've been seeing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast