Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What type of cut do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What type of cut do you prefer? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by Just1ce I never though of that. You're absolutely right. I looked at the punch cutter and the ...

Full grown Puffer Fish LewZephyr's Avatar

Re: What type of cut do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1ce View Post
    I never though of that. You're absolutely right. I looked at the punch cutter and the taper is on the outside. It's a little cheapie I picked up on cbid.
    Sign up for the Montecristo Social Club and they will send you a free punch. Its pretty good for around the house, but a little hefty to haul around in your pocket.

Name:  2psq7pi_zps8e731264.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  78.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LewZephyr View Post
    Sign up for the Montecristo Social Club and they will send you a free punch. Its pretty good for around the house, but a little hefty to haul around in your pocket.

Name:  2psq7pi_zps8e731264.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  78.9 KB
    yeah ! ! !
    I got-in on that too! ! ! Their web site (as a forum) sucks but the cigars & cutter were nice! I also keep this punch in the office (where I smoke) . . . this thing weighs a couple pounds! JK, but VERY hefty. This big-boy would look good and work well in the Stinky Cigar Cutting Station [1:38 minute video].

Zoom in. Look closely at the cutting cylinder in the photo! The knife taper is on the outside of the cylinder. I took mine into the metal shop and modified the blade (cylinder). Works just fine.

PS
    it's never a good idea to put your knife edge on a stone surface! Now, go re-sharpen that thing! .. .. .. and brush your teeth before you go to bed!

Puffer Fish with many spikes WNYTony's Avatar

Always used the plastic cheap 2 blade cutter the shop would throw in until I bought a Colibri lighter with both a guillotine cutter and a punch onboard - great accessory for the car and golf bag ! Ever since I've been a big fan of the punch for everything but Torpedos. I might try the suggestion to then cut the end if the stick seems bitter and see if there is a noticeable difference. I did just order a cheap stainless 2 blade scissor cutter from Amazon to make free shipping and will be trying that as well. Tried a v-cut once and not for me, but a golf buddy of mine likes that one alot.
    Great thread !

My go to lately has been my xikar mtx tool( scissors) so long as the ring gauge is under 54. Anything bigger I use a xikar x8 cutter. Been very happy with both.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Since I picked it up, my "go to" is the Xikar V Cutter. It has the "cat's eye" shape and works perfectly for me. Great draw, but more focused than just cutting the cap off, so I feel like I get more flavor out of my smokes. Sometimes I'll deviate and use a CC Punch, and if things feel clogged or anything seems botched, I can just use a Palio or Xikar Xi3 to chop the top and open things up.

All of these cuts work for me, and all of the tools I use for them I'd highly recommend. It just seems that the "V" does it for me atm, who knows a month from now
    I <3 Cigars

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have CC perfect cuttter, Xikar 11mm punch, Xikar V cutter. I like the V cutter the best!

Maturing Puffer Fish

straight cut. usually twice per.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I usually use a punch but had a V cut the other day and I liked it. I find myself doing all of the above though too.

Young Puffer Fish

95% of the time I use a guillotine cutter. I do have a punch cutter on my key ring as well as a Bugatti lighter that has a punch cutter built in. I use the punch cutter rarely, typically only when I'm out and only have the punch available. I don't dislike punch cuts, just rarely do it. Never tried a V cutter, and while I'm curious, don't see myself ever buying one.

TJB

guillotine cutter all the way. I alternate between my x8, cc perfect cutter, palio. Don't use the punch anymore. I think the tar builds up faster with punch cuts.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Straight outta Sunnyvale thechasm442's Avatar

I prefer guillotine cuts. I have a Xikar Xi2, and a cheapo Colibri that actually works decent ever since I cleaned it real good.

I have a few torch lighters that have punch's on them, but I rarely use them, and the quality is pretty mediocre at best anyway.

I've tried the punch and it's ok - but really like the CC Perfect cutter and a nice, clean, straight cut.

Lately, I have been using punch while out and about since its on my key ring, at home use CC perfect cutter.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Frodo's Avatar

80% of the time its a double guillotine cut for me.

I used to use a punch cut 20% of the time, but found way too many instances of tar build -up so I discontinued this. When I switched to a V-cut for 48-52 RG cigars, I found I got the same concentration of smoke from the punch cuts without the tar build-up problem from the punch cuts.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

+1 Double guillotine cut... I have 3 Xikar Xi3's and 2 Davidoff Zino's, but I prefer using the Xikar's over the Zino's.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast