Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What type of cut do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What type of cut do you prefer? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have a couple of cutters, but my go to cutter is a punch cutter I received as a gift ...

Maturing Puffer Fish crash-wizard's Avatar

Re: What type of cut do you prefer?

I have a couple of cutters, but my go to cutter is a punch cutter I received as a gift about 15 years ago. I have no idea what brand it is.
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

1. Straight Cut (larger rings)
    2. V cut (smaller rings)
    "If you don't know, now you know,......." -Biggie Smalls

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    Since I picked it up, my "go to" is the Xikar V Cutter. It has the "cat's eye" shape and works perfectly for me. Great draw, but more focused than just cutting the cap off, so I feel like I get more flavor out of my smokes. Sometimes I'll deviate and use a CC Punch, and if things feel clogged or anything seems botched, I can just use a Palio or Xikar Xi3 to chop the top and open things up.

All of these cuts work for me, and all of the tools I use for them I'd highly recommend. It just seems that the "V" does it for me atm, who knows a month from now
    XiKar makes the BEST V-cutter! The blade is reversed from the typical (cheapie) V-cutters. As the XiKar V-blades slice into the head, they are pushing into the cap as apposed to the cheapie V-cutters that are pointed and the cutting blade(s) push out of the cap. That's one feature that makes the XiKar work so well. Another design feature of the XiKar V-cutter blade is the longer V shape. Have a look side by side and you'll see!

Puffer Fish with some spikes magoo6541's Avatar

Everything for me gets a straight cut. I tried a punch when I first started and didn't mind it too much but ever since getting a good double guillotine, I haven't gone back. I've never tried a v-cut.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magoo6541 View Post
    Everything for me gets a straight cut. I tried a punch when I first started and didn't mind it too much but ever since getting a good double guillotine, I haven't gone back. I've never tried a v-cut.
    Try it! I did and never want to go back
    I <3 Cigars

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

For me its totally stick dependent, I punch, guillotine, and V. The only cutter I've seen that doesn't even look like it makes sense is the Shuriken.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    XiKar makes the BEST V-cutter! The blade is reversed from the typical (cheapie) V-cutters. As the XiKar V-blades slice into the head, they are pushing into the cap as apposed to the cheapie V-cutters that are pointed and the cutting blade(s) push out of the cap. That's one feature that makes the XiKar work so well. Another design feature of the XiKar V-cutter blade is the longer V shape. Have a look side by side and you'll see!

So in your opinion would this XiKar V-cutter be a better choice than that new Colibri V-cutter for $39+ there or abouts?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    So in your opinion would this XiKar V-cutter be a better choice than that new Colibri V-cutter for $39+ there or abouts?
    You may not have been asking me specifically, but I'd say yes. The Xikar can be had for less, is amazing (my favorite) lifetime warranty, and if you flip it over- cigar rest.
    I <3 Cigars

Maturing Puffer Fish

Love me my punch cutter - unless it's a toro or other long ended cigar, in which case I just use a basic cheapo cutter. Need to get a good Xikar, but I decided for the time being to spend my extra money on cigars, not cutters

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSkyy View Post
    I completely forgot about the knives and scissors. Anyone ever tried one of those shuriken cutters? Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced enough to buy one and try it.
    Yeah, I got one of those a few weeks ago...my neighbor and I tried it, for a few cigars, put it away...not worth the money. It takes a coupla three cuts to open it up enough to draw...I use a straight or vee cut normally, punch from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    Haven't seen the Colibri V-cutter anywhere (yet). So, I looked at some of the web sites and saw only one video (at Cheap Humidors) that showed the blade. While you can see the blade is built right* . . . I'd like to examine one 'up-close' to determine if it measures up to the impressive quality found in the XiKar V-Cutter.

* V-Cut Blade Options:
    "Reverse V" (such as XiKar & Colibri) cutting starts at the wide area of the V blades and slices "in-to" the head of a cigar during the cutting movement
    "A-shaped blade" (such as cheap $3.00 +/- cutters) poke one side of the cap/head and the dual blades push "out" causing tobacco to split/tear.
    Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars

Young Puffer Fish

I love the lodge Cut with V-Cutters. V-cutter give the cigar smoker a bigger draw by cutting deeper into the head of the cigar.

Full grown Puffer Fish NorCalJaybird's Avatar

double guillotine for the most part. I will punch mine from time to time and like it, but I think the double guillotine is a perfect cut for me.

Cheers
    Jay

Strait cut sometimes punch.

still wet behind the ears daleo8803's Avatar

I used a cheap cutter but I picked up a cheap punch from my B&M. I love it! I only use a normal cutter on torpedo s now.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast