Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What type of cut do you prefer?

This is a discussion on What type of cut do you prefer? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; What kind of cut and brands do you all prefer and why? I have just gotten into punch cutters and ...

Young Puffer Fish

What type of cut do you prefer?

What kind of cut and brands do you all prefer and why? I have just gotten into punch cutters and picked up an Xikar 11mm punch and have not used my Palio since. Never have tried a v-cut yet, but it is on my list.

Young Puffer Fish hunter19delta's Avatar

Re: What type of cut do you prefer?

I just switched to the Xikar 11mm punch for my cigars that are 54 ring and over. Otherwise I use a Xikar X8 cutter.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I can't say I prefer one over the other for any real reason. I switch from double guillotine to punch to knife to V and ...
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

No longer a community member.

I punch everything that allows for it. Typically I just use old 22 shells with the tips chopped off and the edge sharpened.

Young Puffer Fish

I completely forgot about the knives and scissors. Anyone ever tried one of those shuriken cutters? Looks interesting, but I'm not convinced enough to buy one and try it.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I punch everything that allows for it. Typically I just use old 22 shells with the tips chopped off and the edge sharpened.
    Funny you say that, I got ammo cans full of brass and was just thinking the other day that a 9mm casing would make a great punch with a little edge work. Maybe even a .308 (About 7mm)

I used to be into the v cut, but now I punch a lot. I just got some scissors I may try tonight. It's like deciding what to smoke: completely spur of the moment and arbitrary.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Not saying cigar smoke does not have bad things in it, but the residue from the primer and powder contains some bad things (mercury, lead, etc). I would not put those things into something I was going to smoke/put into my mouth.

I'll buy a cutter/punch all day long before putting anything ammo related into my mouth.

ETA: To the question, this is the cutter I use: XIKAR | Xi1 Cutters
    Bad decisions make good stories.

Full grown Puffer Fish Joe Bonzo's Avatar

Prefer double guillotine, wedge is okay. Haven't tried punch before, never had a reason to try anything other than straight cut until bro-in-law bought me the wedge cutter.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Dagesh's Avatar

Read or saw a video about different cutters and one fellow recommended cutters over punch as the tar can build up a little easier w/ a punch causing the stick to go bitter. To test he recommended punching the cigar and after it tastes like it might be getting bitter, cut it and try it from there. Being a newb I've been cutting ever since but I might try my punch again just for kicks.

MDS

I have been pretty happy with my Xikar ultra slim ('gunmetal' one). I switched from cheapie cutters to it a year ago. Cuts any cigar great since I prefer open cuts.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

I like a punch.
    I guess it's because my "cheap" guillotine tends to mess up my shoulders. Been hearing a lot about the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter & may try one.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes iatrestman's Avatar

I've really been enjoying the punch cut since I got a decent punch. If you don't like the draw you can give it another few punches or use a guillatine to clip of the end per usual. I have been wanting to try a v-cut but have heard that if you want to use a v-cut you need to get a high-end cutter or else they crush your stick.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Xikar v cut is awesome. Some cigars work much better than others with the v cut though

Quote Originally Posted by Gerace716 View Post
    Xikar v cut is awesome. Some cigars work much better than others with the v cut though
    This. My go-to v cut.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast