Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor

This is a discussion on Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Is everyone able to see the pictures? It wouldn't let me attach them as IMG because I don't have enough ...

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Re: Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor

Is everyone able to see the pictures?

It wouldn't let me attach them as IMG because I don't have enough posts, so I attached image using the button and entered the URL of my photos and apparently you all can see them, but I can't.

When I viewed this thread from my phone, I could see little thumbnails of my pictures but that's it.

When I postwhore a bit more I'll stick some more pictures in here.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    I was given a couple UnderwaterKinetics boxes (similar to Pelican) that were going to be trashed after use holding/shipping some demo electronics.

They sat on a shelf in my garage for a bit over a year, couldn't think of anything to do with them being that they're heavy and bulky.

A few weeks ago I ordered more cigars than I could store in my tupperdor (usually keep 4-10 sticks). It was my first time ordering cigars online and I overdid it. So now I had about 50 sticks and no place to put them. I bought another big tupperware box while I thought about humidors. I didn't want to buy a cheap humidor, but not looking to spend hundreds of dollars or more when I'm still fairly new in the hobby. Plus, the owner of my local B&M talked me out of buying one of his cheapos and told me to use tupperdor or coolerdor if I needed more room.

It's been too cold here in Indiana to smoke outside, so I haven't been using any of mine. Plus I "discovered" cigarbid and thew out a couple low bids on some lots of cigars I was interested in trying. Won 6 of the 9 lots I bid on, so I've got another 50 cigars on the way. I assumed I'd be outbid on at least half. But, I got some great deals on what I'm hoping are great cigars.

But now I needed more room and a couple tupperware boxes were affording me. I went out to the garage to see if I still had my old cooler with a broken drain valve, thought that would be perfect. I still have it, but I remembered the UK boxes and dragged one of them downstairs. The boxes are fairly new, the seals are perfect.

Attachment 83907

There's 6 tension latches around the perimeter and a thick overlapping lip with a silicone ring seal around the seam.

I bought a bunch of Spanish cedar, 30 board feet total, with 10ft 3/4" thick and the rest 1/4".

Cut everything to length and press-fit in the box. Humidified the wood with a saucer of DW for a week and then added a heartfelt beads in two half pound mesh bags. After another week the beads were clearing, the saucer came out and hygrometer went in. 2 days later, holding 68%. Once the wood was humidified, the press-fit was solid. I intended to pull the wood once humidified and have a friend cut for biscuit joints or maybe pin nail em, but no need.

Tossed in a few sticks to see how it looked/estimate capacity:
    Attachment 83906

Pretty happy with the way it turned out and IMO, cooler than a cooler.
    Nice job looks great!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    Love the redneck ingenuity!
    Redneck bird feeder?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor-red0.jpg   Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor-9605459cbc2e405f2180f3384c2d646a.jpg  

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    Is everyone able to see the pictures?

It wouldn't let me attach them as IMG because I don't have enough posts, so I attached image using the button and entered the URL of my photos and apparently you all can see them, but I can't.

When I viewed this thread from my phone, I could see little thumbnails of my pictures but that's it.

When I postwhore a bit more I'll stick some more pictures in here.
    I can see them, everything looks great. You did a real nice job, looks very professional. Now I'm going to have to start looking at the crap lying around my own home differently.... no longer just "stuff" but "opportunities"
    I <3 Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    I can see them, everything looks great. You did a real nice job, looks very professional. Now I'm going to have to start looking at the crap lying around my own home differently.... no longer just "stuff" but "opportunities"
    Lol the stuff I have is just crap...

Full grown Puffer Fish

How many do u think it could hold?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    Redneck bird feeder?
    Nice, I would so be fined by my HOA for having a bird feeder let alone that bird feeder!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    Nice, I would so be fined by my HOA for having a bird feeder let alone that bird feeder!
    Those HOA are out of control. What ever happened to freedom?

Young Puffer Fish Sad Man's Tongue's Avatar

That's pretty awesome!

Tadpole

Now should we have any Earth-shattering, apocalyptic events in the near future, we know where to head for the last few cigars on Earth

Looks great!

Nice - DIY projects are great!

Finally postwhored enough to get pictures allowed but for some reason I can't edit my OP anymore?

Should've taken a few more pictures, but oh well.

Brown truck stopped by earlier today and gave me these:

Still need quite a bit more to get this box filled.

Last edited by danmdevries; 02-24-2014 at 05:25 PM.

New photos are fantastic. Looks even better close up, especially the wood. How is it working out as far as performance?

Quote Originally Posted by CigarInspector View Post
    New photos are fantastic. Looks even better close up, especially the wood. How is it working out as far as performance?
    So far so good, holds a solid 70 with the HF beads despite the temp in my basement being 59°F currently. I've never seen the basement temp above 65 or below 58, so I think that will hold steady.

Really I can't imagine having any problems with it, it's nothing more than a coolerdor with a very good seal that I've added a mass of Spanish Cedar.

I think it's very cool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast