Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor

This is a discussion on Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I was given a couple UnderwaterKinetics boxes (similar to Pelican) that were going to be trashed after use holding/shipping some ...

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor

I was given a couple UnderwaterKinetics boxes (similar to Pelican) that were going to be trashed after use holding/shipping some demo electronics.

They sat on a shelf in my garage for a bit over a year, couldn't think of anything to do with them being that they're heavy and bulky.

A few weeks ago I ordered more cigars than I could store in my tupperdor (usually keep 4-10 sticks). It was my first time ordering cigars online and I overdid it. So now I had about 50 sticks and no place to put them. I bought another big tupperware box while I thought about humidors. I didn't want to buy a cheap humidor, but not looking to spend hundreds of dollars or more when I'm still fairly new in the hobby. Plus, the owner of my local B&M talked me out of buying one of his cheapos and told me to use tupperdor or coolerdor if I needed more room.

It's been too cold here in Indiana to smoke outside, so I haven't been using any of mine. Plus I "discovered" cigarbid and thew out a couple low bids on some lots of cigars I was interested in trying. Won 6 of the 9 lots I bid on, so I've got another 50 cigars on the way. I assumed I'd be outbid on at least half. But, I got some great deals on what I'm hoping are great cigars.

But now I needed more room and a couple tupperware boxes were affording me. I went out to the garage to see if I still had my old cooler with a broken drain valve, thought that would be perfect. I still have it, but I remembered the UK boxes and dragged one of them downstairs. The boxes are fairly new, the seals are perfect.

Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor-20140218_214215_zps8cd38bd8.jpg

There's 6 tension latches around the perimeter and a thick overlapping lip with a silicone ring seal around the seam.

I bought a bunch of Spanish cedar, 30 board feet total, with 10ft 3/4" thick and the rest 1/4".

Cut everything to length and press-fit in the box. Humidified the wood with a saucer of DW for a week and then added a heartfelt beads in two half pound mesh bags. After another week the beads were clearing, the saucer came out and hygrometer went in. 2 days later, holding 68%. Once the wood was humidified, the press-fit was solid. I intended to pull the wood once humidified and have a friend cut for biscuit joints or maybe pin nail em, but no need.

Tossed in a few sticks to see how it looked/estimate capacity:
    Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor-20140211_175303_zps37f882bf.jpg

Pretty happy with the way it turned out and IMO, cooler than a cooler.

No longer a community member.

Re: Built Myself an Indestructible Humidor

Not to shabby....a few more dividers and it would look pretty sweet.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Pretty cool... Good work
    "If you don't know, now you know,......." -Biggie Smalls

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

That's a sweet lookin' humidor.
    What is that black box by the way?

Pipe'in Aint Easy

I've seen quite a few of these set ups for traveling.

Gotta say, they are pretty awesome! Well done.

Puffer Fish with some spikes J0N47H4N's Avatar

Nice humidor setup

Full grown Puffer Fish

How's the seals holding up for u. Looks like a badass upgraded tupperdor. Looks great.

I like!

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Not to shabby....a few more dividers and it would look pretty sweet.
    Yup. Ran out of Spanish cedar, need to order a bit more to make some trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    That's a sweet lookin' humidor.
    What is that black box by the way?
    Its an Underwater Kinetics case. Basically the same as Pelican cases.

Quote Originally Posted by teckneekz View Post
    How's the seals holding up for u. Looks like a badass upgraded tupperdor. Looks great.
    Seals perfectly well. I need to add trays and or more dividers to keep organized. Its not big enough to put in full boxes, but will gladly hold the sticks if loose.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Cool!

Full grown Puffer Fish Chrishorsley13's Avatar

That's nice, you said its heavy. How heavy is it?

Love the redneck ingenuity!

Young Fish

That looks great. I like the mix of the more modern case with the more traditional cedar interior. Have not see that combination.

Young Fish

Good job!! It looks great. I have something very similar that I keep some fishing reels in. It's too bulky for that purpose. I'll have to keep this in mind for overflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrishorsley13 View Post
    That's nice, you said its heavy. How heavy is it?
    I'd guess somewhere around 25-30 lbs. It does have a set of wheels and a handle like a luggage bag, as well as handles on 3 sides for lifting so it's not terribly difficult to maneuver.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    Love the redneck ingenuity!
    I've never been one to throw anything away that might have a use in the future. I knew I'd use the cases for something eventually, I have a ton of hobbies: brewing beer, racing cars, restoring old motorized vehicles - bikes, tractors, cars, anything really, used to do competitive shooting, still load my own ammo but just shoot for fun, I have acreage, grow fruit trees/shrubs and hops for brewing, and I enjoy cigars and whiskeys... So something was going to fit in this case eventually. Best part is, total cost to me for the project was about $60ish in lumber.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorSmalls View Post
    That looks great. I like the mix of the more modern case with the more traditional cedar interior. Have not see that combination.
    Thanks. I am really happy with the way it turned out. I still haven't loaded it with smokes, hopefully it works as well as I hope it will. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't perform well, it seals as tight as any tupperdor, if not better.
    Last edited by danmdevries; 02-19-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast