Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

This is a discussion on Homemade Heartfelt Tube? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by thebayratt I don't use any tubes. I use the .22LR ammo plastic containers. Take the slide lid ...

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

Quote Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
    I don't use any tubes. I use the .22LR ammo plastic containers. Take the slide lid off and the "holder" is a great lid that allows air and humidity to flow in and out.
    I've heard of this a few times now, but still don't really get it. I've seen a few pictures as well, but none with the beads inside. Alas, I also don't shoot regularly, so I have not any empty ammo containers as well... but it does seem resourceful!
    I <3 Cigars

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    I've heard of this a few times now, but still don't really get it. I've seen a few pictures as well, but none with the beads inside. Alas, I also don't shoot regularly, so I have not any empty ammo containers as well... but it does seem resourceful!
    When I was using KL I just went to the dollar store and got these:

Bulk Small Rectangular Plastic Storage Boxes with Clip-Lock Lids, 3-ct. Packs at DollarTree.com

I took my drill press and drilled a bunch of holes in the lid, with one larger one in the middle. Then I would use a syringe that I had laying around (we like to make jello shots for some of our parties) and refill it by sucking up DW and squirting it into the bigger hole in the middle.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rook83's Avatar

So an update: I got the tubes and drilled 3/32" holes into the plastic tubes. I was able to utilize 8 tubes, each holding a little less than 1 ounce of beads. I am also using the rectangular humidifier that came with my humidor and filled that with beads. I believe I have about 11 ounces total...I am hoping to put 3 tubes and the rectangular humidifier in the bottom drawer, 3 tubes in the middle drawer, and 2 tubes in top drawer. Hopefully this will give me a stable and consistent 65RH without having to recharge the beads every 3 days!
    PS...for some reason the photos won't upload...I hate computers!
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-img_1550.jpg
    Keep on puffin' in the real world!

Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-img_1550.jpg

Sarasota, Fl

This is a great Idea. I have heart felt bead tubes, which I like but I feel like this will be the way I go when I upgrade my humidore!

Quote Originally Posted by amcwilli1 View Post
    This is a great Idea. I have heart felt bead tubes, which I like but I feel like this will be the way I go when I upgrade my humidore!
    Yeah, I'm gonna update tomorrow...all the beads and humidifier are in...hopefully its stone cold stable by the morning time!

UPDATE: 48 hours of 65RH...couldn't be happier. You can see the top two tubes through the glass...I have a shade under 2 ounces on the top, a shade under 4 ounces in the middle drawer, and a shade under 5 ounces in the bottom drawer...I've been opening the humi also, to rearrange now that I have more space...recovery is very very fast. All together I spent $4 on tubes from amazon. I had the drill bits already, but you can buy single drill bits for $0.99 at home depot. The drill bit was black oxide made by Black & Decker. Before this I would have a nylon of beads on the bottom only (didn't think about physics and air flow) and couldn't get above 62RH, but mainly would stick around 60...I'm pretty happy with this...and you can absolutely see the saturation of beads through the plastic tubes easily...
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-photo-3.jpg

Awesome! Looks like I'll have to continue pressing forward on my project after seeing this remarkable success!
    I <3 Cigars

Awesome! Looks like I'll have to continue pressing forward on my project after seeing this remarkable success!
    haha you're gonna need way more tubes (saw your 1lb setup from earlier)!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
    I don't use any tubes. I use the .22LR ammo plastic containers. Take the slide lid off and the "holder" is a great lid that allows air and humidity to flow in and out.
    That's a great idea!

Maturing Puffer Fish

My friends and I have been working on something similar, but I would say that holes in just the cap will not suffice (or at least will not work nearly as well) as holes throughout the tube. This is because you need good surface/air ratio for the beads to work, and although they have the same ratio, if the holes are only in the cap, the air will not move very well, so the air inside the tube (stuck there for the most part, I'd imagine) would be perfect RH, and that near the holes in the cap would be acclimated as well, but you wouldn't have a lot of air exchange from right at beads to the rest of the humidor.

So we have a bunch of plastic test tubes (30 or something for $3 I think on amazon or something like that) and have been trying a variety of ideas. My buddy just picked up a drill press, so he's going that route. I'm pretty lazy so I haven't tried much with mine yet, but for now I use open topped containers (that my GF made from cutting glass) for my HF beads (see pic below) because my humis are located where they will not be bumped or moved at all fo sho.

Lots of surface area there. Maybe put some saran wrap with holes on it to keep from dumping.

Sarasota, Fl

I have heart felt tubes, but if this works I am gonna try this when I upgrade my humidor

Quote Originally Posted by amcwilli1 View Post
    I have heart felt tubes, but if this works I am gonna try this when I upgrade my humidor
    totally worth it...I just couldn't spend that much $$ on empty tubes...

Quote Originally Posted by Rook83 View Post
    totally worth it...I just couldn't spend that much $$ on empty tubes...
    Same here. Also, I believe these tubes take up less space than HF tubes (not positive though), so I can easily put these in with my cigars and really lose next to nothing (maybe the space a lancero would take up width-wise?)

I started drilling into the plastic tubes I have by hand. About 10 holes in I was like "nope". Drill press it is.
    I <3 Cigars

Same here. Also, I believe these tubes take up less space than HF tubes (not positive though), so I can easily put these in with my cigars and really lose next to nothing (maybe the space a lancero would take up width-wise?)

I started drilling into the plastic tubes I have by hand. About 10 holes in I was like "nope". Drill press it is.
    The drilling started cramping my hands hahaha...here's the link for the test tubes...it has the dimensions on it...

10 Pack - 6-inch, 16x150mm Clear Plastic Test Tubes with Caps: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast