Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

This is a discussion on Homemade Heartfelt Tube? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Well here's mine. Took some chewing tobacco cans and used them. I chew Timber Wolf Pouches and they come in ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes WNYTony's Avatar

Re: Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

Well here's mine. Took some chewing tobacco cans and used them. I chew Timber Wolf Pouches and they come in plastic can with a removable middle section on the lid.
    I removed all the stickers and wiped them clean and cut out the middle of the lid. Filled with beads and stretched a mesh piece across the top and snapped the lid back on. I used mesh from some cheap give away jewelry bags but even panty hose would work - stretch it across the top and snap the lid back on. Leaves almost a 2" opening on the top and can be laid in humi flat facing up, on side against a wall, or even hung from underside of lid or tray using magnets. Very versatile and small enough to have several around the box. Just my 2 cents.
    No cigar until you get a par - birdie if it's a scramble !

Young Fish

I'm the one SeanTheEvans is talking about who ordered the test tubes (i can't quote him because apparently even if i take out the links i still "can't post links"). Actually I ordered this:

.... so I can't post URLs yet, just amazon search for "60 Tube - 16x150mm Clear Plastic Test Tube Set with Caps and Rack"...

The reviews were pretty accurate, poorly packaged, but they do give extras. I ended up with about 75 tubes and 70 caps. Mine came still in pretty good condition, but I wasn't really worried about if they were scratched anyway. Lets see if i can add pictures....

Here are a couple of drilled tubes, with nothing in them:
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-cam00191.jpg

Here are 3 tubes in my box. Usually I have them on the bottom....
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-cam00193.jpg

It is very tedious, even with a drill press, but I think I drilled more holes than necessary. There is also no reason these can't be cut down to whatever size you may need. I don't actually have beads, just some cheap silicone gel stuff, but it works for now. When I upgrade I can just dump and refill with the good stuff.

Newbie in the ocean

Foe a little larger tubes..... you can purchase the long clear plastic tubes that fit over the long type flourecent light tubes to protect them from breakage. I suppose you could purchase a few of them from a hardware store, cut them to your desired length. these are cheap money, and they also have end caps that can be modified.

No longer a community member.

I've made some out of the clear plastic tubes that hold larger drill bits but in all honesty, a mesh bag or cheese cloth is way better because you get a lot more bead to air exposure.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rook83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maikhorma View Post
    I'm the one SeanTheEvans is talking about who ordered the test tubes (i can't quote him because apparently even if i take out the links i still "can't post links"). Actually I ordered this:

.... so I can't post URLs yet, just amazon search for "60 Tube - 16x150mm Clear Plastic Test Tube Set with Caps and Rack"...

The reviews were pretty accurate, poorly packaged, but they do give extras. I ended up with about 75 tubes and 70 caps. Mine came still in pretty good condition, but I wasn't really worried about if they were scratched anyway. Lets see if i can add pictures....

Here are a couple of drilled tubes, with nothing in them:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00191.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	84254

Name:	CAM00193.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	84253

It is very tedious, even with a drill press, but I think I drilled more holes than necessary. There is also no reason these can't be cut down to whatever size you may need. I don't actually have beads, just some cheap silicone gel stuff, but it works for now. When I upgrade I can just dump and refill with the good stuff.
    Pretty much looks exactly like what I got...you drilled a few more holes than I did...mine seems to be stable though...exactly 7 days and its still at 65%...went up and down 1% a few times due to temperature changes (its cold in chicago and we have radiators that we can't control)...and I've been in an out of the humidor at least twice a day to rearrange or smoke...so I'm pretty happy with the results so far!
    Keep on puffin' in the real world!

Name:	CAM00193.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	84253
    What is the cigar with a white band in the middle.....the wrapper looks pretty funny and rough.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    What is the cigar with a white band in the middle.....the wrapper looks pretty funny and rough.
    It's called a "toilet-bowl special" lots of extra earthy flavors infused... well, you get it.
    I <3 Cigars

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    It's a collab between Leaf & Bean and Oscar Valladares. This is the Maduro. Simply labled "LEAF by Oscar" and "Maduro". You peel the wrapper off, and it's a normal cigar underneath (I guess I'll have to take their word for it since I haven't had one yet). I had a dream the other night that I smoked it, but forgot to take the wrapper off. Crap was falling everywhere. Was very disappointed in myself when I woke up until I realized it was just a dream.

It's a collab between Leaf & Bean and Oscar Valladares. This is the Maduro. Simply labled "LEAF by Oscar" and "Maduro". You peel the wrapper off, and it's a normal cigar underneath (I guess I'll have to take their word for it since I haven't had one yet). I had a dream the other night that I smoked it, but forgot to take the wrapper off. Crap was falling everywhere. Was very disappointed in myself when I woke up until I realized it was just a dream.
    Thats sounds interesting..........will have to try one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rook83 View Post
    haha you're gonna need way more tubes (saw your 1lb setup from earlier)!
    Your foresight is appreciable...

Before & After:

It leaves quite a bit more room in the humi, and since the beads are much more spread out, I can only imagine they will work hellabetter. But at this point, there were no more tubes to use (for the moment), and I had only transferred the amounts out of the 3 containers from the bottom of the humi in the 1st pic.

Little bead fractures do sometimes fall out, but it's minimal, and this humi is where I store cello'd non-premiums, so no issue. I'll likely keep my little jars for my "Aficionado" humidor, as they work perfectly there, but this is a nice change of pace. Still have yet to see if it's a "game-changer" or not going from one method to the other.
    I <3 Cigars

Nice @SeanTheEvans ! How is that RP Decade? I've never had one....gonna pick some up sometime soon hopefully...here's my full setup...pay no attention to the 61RH on the hygro...I've been rearranging sticks all day...It's been teetering between 63-64 for more than a week...haven't recharged at all yet...
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-photo1.jpg
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-photo2.jpg
    Homemade Heartfelt Tube?-photo3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rook83 View Post
    Nice @SeanTheEvans ! How is that RP Decade? I've never had one....gonna pick some up sometime soon hopefully...here's my full setup...pay no attention to the 61RH on the hygro...I've been rearranging sticks all day...It's been teetering between 63-64 for more than a week...haven't recharged at all yet...

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	84384

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	84385

Name:	photo3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	84386
    Nice man, love the organization, and the presentation - wow!

(I waited to comment b/c the pics weren't showing at first, but there now)

As for the Decade, I haven't tried it yet, as is the situation with the majority of what is in my humidor. I only smoke a cigar or two a week, and my stash has grown to over 200, so I've actually traded/passed many cigars that I haven't even tried myself yet. I think I've given away at least one of each of my sticks that I bought multiples of, and have tasted maybe half of them.... so I will
    let you know how it is when I try it (I have an uncanny memory for coming back to threads/etc. to answer long-ago brought-up questions or to follow-up...),but I can't say much yet. I only bought the RP variety pack that I did, though, because so many of them were specifically recommended by members here on Puff. As much RP bashing as occurs here, I really came out on top with this pack, and the "filler" sticks are two kinds of Mulligans (golf gars), so I don't mind having those either (I golf!), or so I think.... as I haven't tried them yet either... 1stworldproblems

Anyway, hope this has been helpful for you, as I know this thread finally gave me the kick in the ass to call up Mark and ask him to bring the test tubes over that he spent all his time drilling. It was a lot of effort on my part. But seriously, the tubes seem to be destroying my jars in terms of effectiveness. I may consider converting more after this little experiment...
    I <3 Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    Nice man, love the organization, and the presentation - wow!

(I waited to comment b/c the pics weren't showing at first, but there now)

As for the Decade, I haven't tried it yet, as is the situation with the majority of what is in my humidor. I only smoke a cigar or two a week, and my stash has grown to over 200, so I've actually traded/passed many cigars that I haven't even tried myself yet. I think I've given away at least one of each of my sticks that I bought multiples of, and have tasted maybe half of them.... so I will
    let you know how it is when I try it (I have an uncanny memory for coming back to threads/etc. to answer long-ago brought-up questions or to follow-up...),but I can't say much yet. I only bought the RP variety pack that I did, though, because so many of them were specifically recommended by members here on Puff. As much RP bashing as occurs here, I really came out on top with this pack, and the "filler" sticks are two kinds of Mulligans (golf gars), so I don't mind having those either (I golf!), or so I think.... as I haven't tried them yet either... 1stworldproblems

Anyway, hope this has been helpful for you, as I know this thread finally gave me the kick in the ass to call up Mark and ask him to bring the test tubes over that he spent all his time drilling. It was a lot of effort on my part. But seriously, the tubes seem to be destroying my jars in terms of effectiveness. I may consider converting more after this little experiment...
    Thanks! As far as the organization and order...that all goes to my wife...I am a completely disorganized guy hahaha...I really like Rocky Patel...the Connecticut series is my second favorite cigar (next to CAO Black)...just a really nice mellow stick that I can enjoy with a cup of coffee at any time of day...excellent construction, plus the smell doesn't linger like crazy...I'll order some decades when I get a chance...very curious about that one...glad the tubes are working out for ya...I'm pretty happy with my setup...in this crazy winter (Chicago), the HF beads have held up like a champ...consistently 63-65...even with the crazy ambient humidity swings in my apartment due to a radiator...could not be happier with HF!

ZS Reserve Officer

So couple of things. I already noted that we have the same humidor. I grew out of mine pretty quickly as soon as the wineador was built. Also didn't help that after I sealed the glass and sealed the drawers that it still leaked humidity in the winter when the ambient dropped into the teens and twenties in my house. There's no getting around that, though, when the humidity is that low.

Also, you have a nice collection of same make cigars. Mine are so random. I have loads of RPs in a drawer, loads of RyJs in another drawer, and loads of Perdomos... the rest are randoms. Generally samplers I pick up from here, or single sticks from the local B&M.

Lastly, the Decade is amazing. It's one of the very few that I can smoke after resting with no aging/mellowing required. And that says a lot, because I tend to sit on cigars for a year or more before I bother lighting them up.
    View my Wineador build Here!

Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post
    So couple of things. I already noted that we have the same humidor. I grew out of mine pretty quickly as soon as the wineador was built. Also didn't help that after I sealed the glass and sealed the drawers that it still leaked humidity in the winter when the ambient dropped into the teens and twenties in my house. There's no getting around that, though, when the humidity is that low.

Also, you have a nice collection of same make cigars. Mine are so random. I have loads of RPs in a drawer, loads of RyJs in another drawer, and loads of Perdomos... the rest are randoms. Generally samplers I pick up from here, or single sticks from the local B&M.

Lastly, the Decade is amazing. It's one of the very few that I can smoke after resting with no aging/mellowing required. And that says a lot, because I tend to sit on cigars for a year or more before I bother lighting them up.
    Thanks for the input on the Decade...I will hopefully pick some up soon...can't pay the ridiculous prices at my local B&M...I'll have to check out CBid this weekend for some deals...I love this humidor so far...I haven't had any issues as far as leaks, although I'm sure there are leaks through the drawers...the big error I made was keeping all of my beads in the bottom drawers, which kept me recharging every three days or so...since I've used these tubes, I have yet to recharge them (I think its been 15 days or so)...The xikar hygro is absolutely accurate and surprisingly enough the analog is quite accurate (I still make sure they both read the same!). I do want to do a windeador build...just not sure when I will...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast