Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

This is a discussion on Homemade Heartfelt Tube? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I saw this thread earlier, http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...eads-tube.html and want to take on this project myself...I have tubes that have been sent ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Rook83's Avatar

Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

I saw this thread earlier,
    Homemade Heartfelt Beads Tube
    and want to take on this project myself...I have tubes that have been sent to me and am curious as to what size drill bit I should use? I have bits as small as 1/16". I just want to make sure that when I mist, I actually get the beads wet, and also, there is no residual bead dust that escapes. I just don't want to pay $30+ for empty tubes from HF. Also, if I just made a few holes in the cap and not the tube itself, would that be an avenue that would be a good idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Keep on puffin' in the real world!

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Homemade Heartfelt Tube?

I bought the tubes (i'm lazy) from heartfelt. The one issue I see, is it is hard for me to tell if the beads are clear or white. Your solution takes care of that problem.

I decided to not buy the tubes (i'm poor) hahaha! I thought the heartfelt tubes were clear...are they not?

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rook83 View Post
    I saw this thread earlier,
    Homemade Heartfelt Beads Tube
    and want to take on this project myself...I have tubes that have been sent to me and am curious as to what size drill bit I should use? I have bits as small as 1/16". I just want to make sure that when I mist, I actually get the beads wet, and also, there is no residual bead dust that escapes. I just don't want to pay $30+ for empty tubes from HF. Also, if I just made a few holes in the cap and not the tube itself, would that be an avenue that would be a good idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    My friends and I have been working on something similar, but I would say that holes in just the cap will not suffice (or at least will not work nearly as well) as holes throughout the tube. This is because you need good surface/air ratio for the beads to work, and although they have the same ratio, if the holes are only in the cap, the air will not move very well, so the air inside the tube (stuck there for the most part, I'd imagine) would be perfect RH, and that near the holes in the cap would be acclimated as well, but you wouldn't have a lot of air exchange from right at beads to the rest of the humidor.

So we have a bunch of plastic test tubes (30 or something for $3 I think on amazon or something like that) and have been trying a variety of ideas. My buddy just picked up a drill press, so he's going that route. I'm pretty lazy so I haven't tried much with mine yet, but for now I use open topped containers (that my GF made from cutting glass) for my HF beads (see pic below) because my humis are located where they will not be bumped or moved at all fo sho.
    I <3 Cigars

Young Puffer Fish

I decided to not buy the tubes (i'm poor) hahaha! I thought the heartfelt tubes were clear...are they not?
    I didn't think they were that expensive (I got 4 for around $20 with shipping). They are more opaque than clear, and I have to hold them up to the light to really see the color of the beads.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    My friends and I have been working on something similar, but I would say that holes in just the cap will not suffice (or at least will not work nearly as well) as holes throughout the tube. This is because you need good surface/air ratio for the beads to work, and although they have the same ratio, if the holes are only in the cap, the air will not move very well, so the air inside the tube (stuck there for the most part, I'd imagine) would be perfect RH, and that near the holes in the cap would be acclimated as well, but you wouldn't have a lot of air exchange from right at beads to the rest of the humidor.

So we have a bunch of plastic test tubes (30 or something for $3 I think on amazon or something like that) and have been trying a variety of ideas. My buddy just picked up a drill press, so he's going that route. I'm pretty lazy so I haven't tried much with mine yet, but for now I use open topped containers (that my GF made from cutting glass) for my HF beads (see pic below) because my humis are located where they will not be bumped or moved at all fo sho.
    Love that set up!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Thats a lot of beads! I'm using half a pound (150 capacity napoleon II humidor). The HF beads work great, but I need to spread them out...

Quote Originally Posted by rjseeney View Post
    I didn't think they were that expensive (I got 4 for around $20 with shipping). They are more opaque than clear, and I have to hold them up to the light to really see the color of the beads.
    I have three drawers, so I would need about 3-6 tubes...I have 8 ounces of beads, so if I had 6 1-ounce tubes, that would be about $30 for empty tubes. The other 2 ounces I would keep in my modified humidifier...I just can't see myself spending $30 on empty tubes...

Thats a lot of beads! I'm using half a pound (150 capacity napoleon II humidor). The HF beads work great, but I need to spread them out...
    Yeah, that's a full lb. I use 4 of the spice jars in my 100ct (along with 2 large rectangle humidifiers switched out w/ beads) 1 spice jar in each drawer (it's a 4 level drawer humi)
    Then I have a 75ct I put the 2 lager bottles in the bottom along with 2 spice jars, and then 2 spice jars on the tray in that same humi.

I have a terrible habit of opening my humis multiple times a day, and I keep them open way longer than I should, so I just way overdid it with the beads and things still remain rock solid, or recover within an hour. I feel better safe than sorry. Also, maintenance (rewetting) is at a minimum this way. I can really forget about the humis for weeks at a time and I'd be fine. I just don't/can't.

When she has some time I'll ask the GF to make some more holders for me to replace the larger ones, but for now they work great, because they hold up stacks of cigars for organization in the bottom of the humidor/I'll become unlazy and find a way to use the tubes/my buddy will have a breakthrough with his new drill press.
    I <3 Cigars

Young Puffer Fish

I have three drawers, so I would need about 3-6 tubes...I have 8 ounces of beads, so if I had 6 1-ounce tubes, that would be about $30 for empty tubes. The other 2 ounces I would keep in my modified humidifier...I just can't see myself spending $30 on empty tubes...
    I hear ya and understand. I only needed 4 medium tubes for my purposes. I looked at doing my own thing, but after figuring the time needed to purchase and modify, it was worth it to me to spend the $22 or so (shipping included) to just buy the empty ones. I have 10 oz of beads.....4 medium tubes, one large tube (i had bought that tube previously, already filled) and 4 oz in a mesh bag.

SEOH 13 X 100mm Plastic Test Tubes with Caps 25 Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

SEOH 16 X 125mm Plastic Test Tubes with Caps, 25 Pack: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

One of those are the tubes we ordered. Look similar to the tubes used in the linked thread OP mentioned.
    If you're already buying something off amazon, just add to your order, and yeah, save a bit rather than buying the premade ones. Plus, I think these are smaller than the HF tubes you can buy, and are actually smaller than many cigars, so if I'm correct, you could just put 1 or 2 of these within the cigar bunches in your drawers, and it should keep humidity excellent-ly.

The best part: there's so many of them- so he ordered some and about 5 of us guys have all the tubes we'd ever need (if we get them to work right with holes etc). Also plenty of room for mistakes.
    I <3 Cigars

Nylons or aquarium filter bags work well
    The more surface are the better

Also "7 day" pill box containers with the covers cut off work well
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Nylons or aquarium filter bags work well
    The more surface are the better

Also "7 day" pill box containers with the covers cut off work well
    I use nylons inside of my humidifiers to hold beads I'm switching in to them, but have always wondered if loose beads in nylons would be okay just sitting in a humidor, touching the Spanish cedar or the cigars? Any knowledge of this in particular? Otherwise having them in nylons spread like a sheet across the entire bottom of shelves would be awesome. But again, not sure I'd want my cigars resting on that...
    I <3 Cigars

ZS Reserve Officer

I use nylons inside of my humidifiers to hold beads I'm switching in to them, but have always wondered if loose beads in nylons would be okay just sitting in a humidor, touching the Spanish cedar or the cigars? Any knowledge of this in particular?
    I have loose beads, no nylons, in the bottom of my wineador. They're in a spanish cedar tray. It's not going to damage the cedar and in turn the cedar should inhibit growth of mold and mildew if they become too hydrated at any point in time.

I don't use any tubes. I use the .22LR ammo plastic containers. Take the slide lid off and the "holder" is a great lid that allows air and humidity to flow in and out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast