Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build

This is a discussion on rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by jjashikki Actually HCM beads are pretty much the same as the heartfelt beads. The guy that developed ...

ZS Reserve Officer

Re: rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build

Quote Originally Posted by jjashikki View Post
    Actually HCM beads are pretty much the same as the heartfelt beads. The guy that developed them is a member on Puff, not very active anymore, and he explained the differences between the HCM, heartfelts and basically any other silica desiccant. Basically HCM and heartfelt beads are the same thing but HCM beads have smaller pores and aren't treated with alcohol so they have a much higher capacity. The difference is that because of the alcohol treatments that heartfelts beads go through they're pretty much a constant 65% whereas HCM you can change the "set point" around. I won't go into it anymore since it's pretty much hearsay at this point but here's a link to the original thread.

Shilala Beads
    Funny that that thread states it's a silica product (HCS) but the HCM beads state they're not silica.

HCM Cigar Beads -- FAQ
    There is no PG (Propylene Glycol), salts, or silica in HCM beads. HCM Beads work using the simple principle of equilibrium. They have a much higher affinity for gathering and releasing water than silica beads; the construction of HCM beads allows for a far greater reservoir of water to be made available for use in a humidor.

So now I wonder if he no longer offers (HCS) and has since moved on to HCM.

HCM Beads vs. Heartfelt - Humidor Forum - CigarPass.com

http://www.shilalasbeads.com/2010-02...structions.pdf

These bags contain Humidity Controlling Molecular (
    HCM) beads. The beads are a 100% clay product
    with no chemical additives and are very safe and no
    n-toxic
    View my Wineador build Here!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by elricfate View Post

So now I wonder if he no longer offers (HCS) and has since moved on to HCM.
    I'm pretty sure that @shilala is no longer involved in it and it's a new guy that uses them. From my interactions with him he doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable about the product but the product is still good. I've been using the 8oz tube in a 50 qt cooler for a couple months now and i'm really happy with the results. HCM vs Heartfelt vs HCS (i'm not even sure what these are, they were just mentioned a couple times in that old thread) vs kittylitter is such a dead horse and with so much speculation. If we ever get a material scientist as a member in here I for one would gladly bomb the bejezus out of him if he could shed some light on this. haha either way use what you have if it works.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

haha either way use what you have if it works.
    The best way to end any bead/boveda/KL convo!
    I <3 Cigars

ZS Reserve Officer

I'm pretty sure that @shilala is no longer involved in it and it's a new guy that uses them. From my interactions with him he doesn't seem to be as knowledgeable about the product but the product is still good. I've been using the 8oz tube in a 50 qt cooler for a couple months now and i'm really happy with the results. HCM vs Heartfelt vs HCS (i'm not even sure what these are, they were just mentioned a couple times in that old thread) vs kittylitter is such a dead horse and with so much speculation. If we ever get a material scientist as a member in here I for one would gladly bomb the bejezus out of him if he could shed some light on this. haha either way use what you have if it works.
    To your point, I believe HCM beads are just a bentonite clay. Same stuff used in the old "odor absorbing" kitty litter mixes (non-silica) -- if you've ever had a cat you would recognize the little tiny clay balls in it. Heartfelt are Type A silica and kitty litter is type B silica.

You can go on from there, or we can start a separate thread where the dead horse keeps getting beaten (though I think dropping some scientific knowledge might not hurt).

But really, use whatever works for you. I used to just use distilled water and plant (water) beads. They worked for what I needed them for at the time. I've since moved on to using several methods for reaching a standard equilibrium, and they work really well together. Any one of them would work on its own, but they're all working together is a thing of beauty. It's why I'm equal opportunity when people talk about their humidification preferences.

I have an extra 1/2 lb. of beads left that I might add to the top. Maybe a pound on the bottom and a pound up top with 1/2 pound spread between the drawers will help. If that doesn't work I'll add some KL to the bottom.

I think @ProjectSunfire is onto something with me being neurotic. It's more than likely that there is no problem at all with the rh and temp in my cooler, but I am just over thinking things.

That belongs in a museum! ProjectSunfire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rtrimbath View Post

I think @ProjectSunfire is onto something with me being neurotic. It's more than likely that there is no problem at all with the rh and temp in my cooler, but I am just over thinking things.
    I don't think I said that you were neurotic! But I definitely am and over think everything. I used to freak out every single time my rh changed a few points. now I don't even look anymore

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectSunfire View Post
    I don't think I said that you were neurotic! But I definitely am and over think everything. I used to freak out every single time my rh changed a few points. now I don't even look anymore
    hahaha.

You're right that you never said it. Maybe it just took you to say something about yourself to realize that I am in the same boat! I think in a year I'll look back and laugh at how worried I was about my rh and temp.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrimbath View Post
    You're right that you never said it. Maybe it just took you to say something about yourself to realize that I am in the same boat! I think in a year I'll look back and laugh at how worried I was about my rh and temp.
    nothing wrong with being cautious over our collections. but when we start to obsess over the minor things ...that's when it gets a little crazy haha

as I am waiting for the drawers to arrive I have been trying to get rid of the plastic smell. so right now I have baking soda and lots of cedar in there. seems to be working well. just for the hell of it I thought I would plug it in and set it at 64 degrees and then put in a few hygrometers to see what the readings were. After 2 days it is dead on 64 degrees top & bottom. but the crazy thing to me is that humidity is at 65% top & bottom. which is always my target in all my humidors but that's with several pounds of beads.

Just can't believe I'm getting 65% with zero humidity devices!

as I am waiting for the drawers to arrive I have been trying to get rid of the plastic smell. so right now I have baking soda and lots of cedar in there. seems to be working well. just for the hell of it I thought I would plug it in and set it at 64 degrees and then put in a few hygrometers to see what the readings were. After 2 days it is dead on 64 degrees top & bottom. but the crazy thing to me is that humidity is at 65% top & bottom. which is always my target in all my humidors but that's with several pounds of beads.

Just can't believe I'm getting 65% with zero humidity devices!
    It's funny, it looks like I traded humidity problems for no plastic smell, and you have the opposite haha. Not sure which is better!

So, here's my current setup: 1 lb. 65% Heartfelt Beads, 2 Oust fans (I planned on putting 1 on top and had to remove the cover to fit), 2x 1/2 lb. mesh bags filled with KL.

Here's the Kitty Litter I used in case anyone is wondering. I microwaved it to get it down to 65% rh.

I'm hoping this will help stabilize rh at the bottom.

(Copied and Pasted wrong pic at first. OOPS!)

Got my Ambient Weather remote hygrometer in the mail today and am in the process of calibrating it. All seems right with it at the moment. I'll let everyone know how well it works after a few days of use.

I found that the Ambient Weather hygrometer display fit perfectly into an empty Trinidad Reyes 12 count box, and I thought it looked pretty cool that way. I'm finding all kinds of ways to reuse empty cigar boxes.

I keep all my accessories on top of my wineador as well.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Great progress on the wineador! It looks awesome.
    I love how you recycled stogies boxes. It's a great idea and one that may steal in the distant future.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast