Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build

This is a discussion on rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; My wineador project has been in the works since November 27, 2013 when I ordered my drawers from Forrest at ...

rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build

My wineador project has been in the works since November 27, 2013 when I ordered my drawers from Forrest at wineador.com. I consider that my official start date. I decided at the time that the 18 bottle Newair was the size I wanted. If only I had a time machine to change that decision to a 28 bottle. That is my biggest regret. I figured on the wait being at least 2 months for a non-rush order, so all I could do is get all the materials together to prepare for the drawers. Ordering a Newair AW-181E was a very large hassle because from November till January there were none in stock anywhere (that I could find). I had some real worries that I would have drawers for a wine cooler I couldn't get. Finally in the first week of January I was able to get one from overstock.com. I paid way too much, but I wanted to have the cooler aired out, washed and ready for when the drawers arrived. Plus, there were no other options to purchase from. That made the decision a little easier. Here's some pics from the day it arrived...
    Attachment 84068 Attachment 84069

While I was waiting for the cooler to be shipped I purchased some supplies to get the dreaded plastic smell that I've heard so much about out. I bought some activated charcoal, empty cedar boxes, baking soda, and fragrance free Dawn to take care of it. When it arrived I opened the cooler door to be absolutely shocked. NO SMELL!!! I still washed it thoroughly with the dish soap and distilled water and let it air out for a couple days, but there was no need for anything else. I really lucked out on that one.

Now it was time to settle in and wait for the drawers. One day I saw a thread by @bleslie34 describing how he lined his cooler with cedar panels. I decided to copy the process. I ordered two 1/4"x5"x48" Spanish Cedar planks off of Amazon and cut them to fit. I attached the panels with Liquid Nails. The Liquid Nails caused the planks to warp instantly, so if anyone plans on replicating this I would find another solution to attaching the panels. Kind of a bummer, but no one will really see it anyways.
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0247.jpgrtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0277.jpg

Since I still had time to kill till my drawers arrived, I decided to make something for my Heartfelt beads to sit in besides a plastic container. I took an old Ashton 898 box and removed the lid, and then drilled holes in the sides. I took some screen patches and secured them with epoxy over the holes. None of this was really necessary, but I was really restless from the wait.
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0280.jpg

On February 10th, 2014 I finally got my shipment notification for my drawers. Another 8 days on February 18th, 2014 they finally arrived. I ordered 1 vented false-bottom drawer, 3 vented regular drawers, and 1 shelf; all with the Blood Wood upgrade.
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0282.jpgrtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0283.jpgrtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0286.jpg

There were a few problems I ran into with the drawers, but Forrest was helpful. The finish must have been a little tacky when packaged because the saran wrap left some marks on one of the drawers. There were also some gaps in the joints, and excess glue. I'm sure part of it had to do with the 2 1/2 month wait giving me unrealistic expectations, but in any case Forrest offered to replace the whole set! I didn't think that was necessary, but was grateful for the offer. He really is a great guy to deal with. Top-notch customer service. I used my own 3" pulls because I liked the look of a set I found at Lowes.
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0296.jpg

I am currently seasoning the drawers. I am using a modified Herf N' Turf method using two sponges wet with distilled water; one larger one on the bottom and a smaller one up top. I also threw in some 84% Boveda seasoning packs I had left over from a previous humidor seasoning. It took about a day and a half to get the rh up to 80% and I let it sit like that for three days. I have now removed and replaced all of the sponges and Boveda packs with my 65% Heartfelt Beads. I am using 1 lb. in the box I made on the bottom of the cooler and a 1/2 lb. in a small media bag on the top shelf. I also have some large Heartfelt tubes thrown in the drawers.

I'm heading out of town for a bit and won't be able to get you pics of the filled drawers for about a week. At least I have something to look forward to when I get home. I'll post more pictures then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0246.jpg   rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0281.jpg   rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-img_0285.jpg  

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build

That Wineador is very much awesome bro!

Love the idea of putting the HF beads in an old cigar box w/ the holes - very clever. Might steal that one from you in the future. I agree, your handles are very nice as well, good choices. Will be interested in seeing what you put in this beast, thanks for the post and pics!
    I <3 Cigars

Young Fish

Looks awesome!! Good job! Can't wait to see it stocked.

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

That's an awesome idea if you can afford the space, to put your beads in a box. I'm stealing that idea.

Thanks for the replies! I think it's shaping up pretty nicely. One thing I'm having trouble is deciding where to put a hygrometer/s. there's plenty of room on the front of the drawers, but I can't bring myself to attach adhesive to them. I might just put one on the top that I'll have to open the cooler to see once I get my rh stabilized. We'll see. Here's a pic I forgot to post. I'll try to keep them coming when I get back.
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build-image.jpg

I think I forgot to mention that I removed the Newair logo from the glass using dental floss like a saw through the glue. I then used Goo Gone to remove any residue. I can thank Puff for that little trick.

I'm waiting for it to have sticks. lol
    Rule #32. Enjoy the Little Things

Young Puffer Fish

My favorite part of that humidor is the UK sticker on top

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

What an awesome job you've done both with your build and detailing the build with info and photos...RG coming to you!

Quote Originally Posted by rtrimbath View Post
    Since I still had time to kill till my drawers arrived, I decided to make something for my Heartfelt beads to sit in besides a plastic container. I took an old Ashton 898 box and removed the lid, and then drilled holes in the sides. I took some screen patches and secured them with epoxy over the holes. None of this was really necessary, but I was really restless from the wait.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	84073
    Now, I am going to steal this idea for mine! I've had my beads sitting on the bottom in some plastic lid, for years...I've hated it but I absolutely love this idea! Now, it's off to my B&M tomorrow to grab a few free boxes.

Again, great job!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    What an awesome job you've done both with your build and detailing the build with info and photos...RG coming to you!

Now, I am going to steal this idea for mine! I've had my beads sitting on the bottom in some plastic lid, for years...I've hated it but I absolutely love this idea! Now, it's off to my B&M tomorrow to grab a few free boxes.

Again, great job!
    Thanks for RG. I'll take all I can get! And you're more than welcome to steal the box idea. I think it fits into the whole scheme better than something plastic.

Literally all the knowledge needed to build this wineador were from tips I learned on puff.com. I hope I can give a little back to the forum. If anyone has any questions or needs further clarification let me know.

Very nice box! Any worries about the odors from the adhesives you used to hang the wood an attach the screens?

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    Very nice box! Any worries about the odors from the adhesives you used to hang the wood an attach the screens?
    I did at first, but the odor of the epoxy I used for the box dissipated after about a week. I actually made the box before I even bought the cooler, so it had plenty of time to air out.

After attaching the cedar panels, It took about a week with the door open to get rid of the smell. I had plenty of time till my drawers arrived, so it all worked out perfectly.
    Last edited by rtrimbath; 02-26-2014 at 07:44 AM.

I'm having some trouble uploading the pictures of my filled drawers. It keeps saying I'm past my quota. Anyone know how to get around that?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren_G View Post
    My favorite part of that humidor is the UK sticker on top
    How did I miss this post!!! I went to UK for college 2002-2006. I've decided to name my cooler the Wildcat Wineador and plan to put the UK logo on the glass.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by rtrimbath View Post
    How did I miss this post!!! I went to UK for college 2002-2006. I've decided to name my cooler the Wildcat Wineador and plan to put the UK logo on the glass.
    We just became friends! I went from 05 to 10. Still live in LexVegas! The Wildcat Wineador is a sick name. Well played sir

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast