Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wineador out of the blue.

This is a discussion on Wineador out of the blue. within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Well I've been seeing more and more wineadors here, and thought I'd never need one. Low and behold, my 150ct ...

Young Puffer Fish CanAsianPiper's Avatar

Wineador out of the blue.

Well I've been seeing more and more wineadors here, and thought I'd never need one. Low and behold, my 150ct humidor is starting to get real tight. So since I work at Home Depot, is pick up a wine fridge.

We had 18 bottle wine fridges made by Vissani, that are pretty nice.

Regular $119
    Sale $59
    My price $20.

How ow could I say no? Impossible! I'd LOOSE money if I didn't buy it haha.

Now I need to "build" this thing right? I've searched a few places and says to line it with Spanish cedar, get a fan, and beads.

Any tips on how to go about it? I have a lot of loose cigars, usually 10-20 of each one, and a few singles.

Should i buy a drawer or shelving system? And where's the best bang for buck for that?

Thanks all, and I'll post pics once I unbox it when I get home.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: Wineador out of the blue.

Technically, you don't need to do much. Media and cigars will do it if that's as far as you'd like to go. Wineadors are really very custom, personal creations.

You can put in metal racks - economical
    You can order drawers from one of the reputable sources from this thread: Chasidor vs. Wineador wine cooler drawer review!!!!
    You can buy spanish cedar and make your own drawers, or shelves, or line the wineador - or you can skip that. Some people cut up boxes and line them with that. It's just to hold RH, so it's "extra", depending on what you want and what kind of look you're going for. I saw a really neatly lined one earlier today, and I've seen ones with a mosaic of boxes on the inside.
    Some people add fans and lights, depending on their setup. Whether or not you have drawers or boxes, and what kind of racks/drawers/shelves you have will determine your need for a fan, based on keeping RH equal throughout the wineador.

But really, you could just put kitty litter in the bottom and cigars in boxes on the existing racks, and you would still have a working wineador....

so it's very much up to you- let us know what your ideas/goals are, and I'm sure plenty of members will have more specific tips and tricks for you. Browsing some other threads about wineador builds is of the utmost help as well, for ideas and solutions to potential pitfalls, etc.

Regardless of your choices, best of luck to you - and remember - pics or it didn't happen!
    I <3 Cigars

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by CanAsianPiper View Post

Regular $119
    Sale $59
    My price $20.
    Holy smokes. I'd buy one at that price just to build another one and I don't even need it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    Technically, you don't need to do much. Media and cigars will do it if that's as far as you'd like to go. Wineadors are really very custom, personal creations.

You can put in metal racks - economical
    You can order drawers from one of the reputable sources from this thread: Chasidor vs. Wineador wine cooler drawer review!!!!
    You can buy spanish cedar and make your own drawers, or shelves, or line the wineador - or you can skip that. Some people cut up boxes and line them with that. It's just to hold RH, so it's "extra", depending on what you want and what kind of look you're going for. I saw a really neatly lined one earlier today, and I've seen ones with a mosaic of boxes on the inside.
    Some people add fans and lights, depending on their setup. Whether or not you have drawers or boxes, and what kind of racks/drawers/shelves you have will determine your need for a fan, based on keeping RH equal throughout the wineador.

But really, you could just put kitty litter in the bottom and cigars in boxes on the existing racks, and you would still have a working wineador....

so it's very much up to you- let us know what your ideas/goals are, and I'm sure plenty of members will have more specific tips and tricks for you. Browsing some other threads about wineador builds is of the utmost help as well, for ideas and solutions to potential pitfalls, etc.

Regardless of your choices, best of luck to you - and remember - pics or it didn't happen!
    Awesome thanks for the info!! I'd like to at least get some cedar to line it, or some drawer system. I PM'd that wineador guy to see what kind of measurements he needs.

Functionality comes first, keeping my sticks at temp and humidity. I would assume a fan would be nice to get some circulation, but would it make a big difference? I could just find one of those Oust fans, but don't see them at Home Depot.

I have some Boveda packs, but don't think 5-6 would be enough.

Where does everyone get their heartfelt beads from? Direct from company, or online vendor?

How do you line it with cedar? Do you glue it to the sides?

Horrible picture, the mirrored glass door has condensation from sitting in the cold car.

Just wiped it down, threw in some empty cigar boxes and a bowl of DW

I'm undecided which route I want to take. Either wire shelves with trays, or drawers from Forrest that will take a couple months to receive.

Opinions?

ZS Reserve Officer

I love my drawers, I do. But I have a lot of loose sticks and not boxes, so it made sense for me

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Awesome thanks for the info!! I'd like to at least get some cedar to line it, or some drawer system. I PM'd that wineador guy to see what kind of measurements he needs. No problem! That's why we're all here, to help out others who share in this hobby

Functionality comes first, keeping my sticks at temp and humidity. I would assume a fan would be nice to get some circulation, but would it make a big difference? I could just find one of those Oust fans, but don't see them at Home Depot. I think if you get drawers a fan is advised, but then again, that's if you're not having humidity control within each drawer. A fan can oft be negated by more media (and if you're doing cedar, that will help as well) You might want to see if you can hold the RH you desire before working on a fan solution, as the problem may never exist)

I have some Boveda packs, but don't think 5-6 would be enough. I am not sure about that either. It would be a decent start though, and if those go in drawers, you could use a large amount of something at the bottom to keep the majority steady with those as assisting, or you could get more Boveda, or you could choose another media (Beads or KL)

Where does everyone get their heartfelt beads from? Direct from company, or online vendor? http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/
    Humidification Beads: FAQs

How do you line it with cedar? Do you glue it to the sides?I have not done this myself, and the last example I saw said they used liquid nails, but it warped the cedar a bit, so advised against it.
    Here are a few more wineador threads that might be of assistance:
    rtrimbath's Newair 181 Wineador Build
    Vinotemp 101

Learning from the mistakes of others and asking questions are your best two tools!
    I <3 Cigars

Puffer Fish with some spikes madirishman's Avatar

Enjoy the build! They make for a great humidor. Trust me when I say that you will fill it up far quicker than expected.

Check out my thread for a reference. My Edgestar 28 Build

ZS Reserve Officer

Quote Originally Posted by madirishman View Post
    Enjoy the build! They make for a great humidor. Trust me when I say that you will fill it up far quicker than expected.

Check out my thread for a reference. My Edgestar 28 Build
    This is 100% true. My 28 bottle is filling up already.
    View my Wineador build Here!

Full grown Puffer Fish

$20?!?! That's a better steal than what I came across. Have fun with that project brother! Looks like it'll keep u busy for a while trying to figure out what to fill it with.

Newbie in the ocean

Well I've been seeing more and more wineadors here, and thought I'd never need one. Low and behold, my 150ct humidor is starting to get real tight. So since I work at Home Depot, is pick up a wine fridge.

Regular $119
    Sale $59
    My price $20.

How ow could I say no? Impossible! I'd LOOSE money if I didn't buy it haha.

Now I need to "build" this thing right? I've searched a few places and says to line it with Spanish cedar, get a fan, and beads.

Any tips on how to go about it? I have a lot of loose cigars, usually 10-20 of each one, and a few singles.

Should i buy a drawer or shelving system? And where's the best bang for buck for that?

Thanks all, and I'll post pics once I unbox it when I get home.
    This is the same Wineador that I have, except I had to pay full price from Home Depot. Lol. They seem pretty nice and are Thermoelectric. I only run mine in the summer, the winter it stays off.

I built 5 of my own drawers out of spanish cedar, just like the ones Forrest makes from Wineadors. The Spanish cedar was about $60, so $160 all in which is pretty damn good. The cost to ship to Canada from Windeadors is probably insane. Making your own, or getting someone locally to make them is probably the only option for us Canadians if you want drawers. I will watch these coolers and if they go on sale I might buy another and make another Wineador.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace McCool View Post
    This is the same Wineador that I have, except I had to pay full price from Home Depot. Lol. They seem pretty nice and are Thermoelectric. I only run mine in the summer, the winter it stays off.

I built 5 of my own drawers out of spanish cedar, just like the ones Forrest makes from Wineadors. The Spanish cedar was about $60, so $160 all in which is pretty damn good. The cost to ship to Canada from Windeadors is probably insane. Making your own, or getting someone locally to make them is probably the only option for us Canadians if you want drawers. I will watch these coolers and if they go on sale I might buy another and make another Wineador.

Cheers.
    Awesome! I ended up buying 3 10.5x8.5 trays for now. And I might pick another one up from Cigarplace on my next order. I'd like to make them into a pull out drawer.

But so far, with the rediculus prices from canada humidor, I'm about $80 all in.

Do you mind if I can see your drawers? How hard was it to make? I'm not too handy with wood work, as my tool arsenal is limited.

Newbie in the ocean

Sure. They aren't very hard to make. I elected to use only glue, so there was a lot of clamping involved but once you make one complete drawer and ensure it fits, then the other 4 are a breeze. Depending on what you can find locally for wood, you will need a planer/jointer, and then a table saw (preferred) or circular saw. I made a sold bottom on the drawers and then cut out slots for air flow with a jigsaw. I didn't do the false bottom like Forrest does, as while it looks better it's my opinion that it may restrict the humidity movement and air flow. There is about an inch between the glass door and the front of the drawers so a nice place for air to rise. The false bottom might just work to trap air in the bottom.

The kitty litter keeps the humidity rock solid in the lows 60's, and higher if I spray some water on it. It's amazing really, I filled up the pan which fills the entire bottom, so maybe 3-4 lbs of it and it has held at 63% ever since.

Wineador out of the blue.-photo_1.jpgWineador out of the blue.-photo_4.jpgWineador out of the blue.-photo_3.jpgWineador out of the blue.-photo_2.jpg
    Last edited by Ace McCool; 02-26-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Sarasota, Fl

I have been really thinking about making one because I can get them heavilly discounted. would you say they are difficult to make?

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by amcwilli1 View Post
    I have been really thinking about making one because I can get them heavilly discounted. would you say they are difficult to make?
    Well take a look at the first pic in my post, and if that's something you have the skill to make, then no. It's hard to say - building drawers like that will be easy for some and hard for others depending on your experience with woodworking. Since you are asking, I would assume you have little woodworking experience so I would say it will be challenging.

And to OP, was your HD Canada discount on these just employee discount or is there some sale or coupon code you can hook a fellow brother up with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast