Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

somewhat new guy looking for a new humidor

This is a discussion on somewhat new guy looking for a new humidor within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; hey everybody, somewhat new to all this i have a 50count that is full was looking to upgrade. maybe 125 ...

somewhat new guy looking for a new humidor

hey everybody, somewhat new to all this i have a 50count that is full was looking to upgrade. maybe 125 or 150. i want it to be right this time. i was told to season the one i have now with a sponge and since then i found that to be wrong. so need some schooling so i go into this new one right. i use 3 boveda 72 packs in what i have now by the way. thanks for all your help.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Re: somewhat new guy looking for a new humidor

If you think you will be getting into this hobby and you are serious about it, I would skip the middle size humis and go straight to a 300 or larger.

You'd be surprised how quickly that 150 humi fills up. There are a lot of great deals out there.

I used to have this one and I loved it Cheap Humidors The Ravello High Gloss Cigar Humidor

It became to small though, so I sold it and built a wineador, and soon after a coolidor

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    If you think you will be getting into this hobby and you are serious about it, I would skip the middle size humis and go straight to a 300 or larger.

You'd be surprised how quickly that 150 humi fills up. There are a lot of great deals out there.

I used to have this one and I loved it Cheap Humidors The Ravello High Gloss Cigar Humidor

It became to small though, so I sold it and built a wineador, and soon after a coolidor
    True that I'm already almost full. Buy double than what you think you're going to need. Soon I might have to buy a new humidor too.

But doesent it have to be a certian amount full. I dont have the cash to buy 100 more cigars.

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer44 View Post
    But doesent it have to be a certian amount full. I dont have the cash to buy 100 more cigars.
    You should shoot for at least 50% of the volume of the box to be cigars.

If you don't have enough sticks to fill it, why buy it now? Just wait till you can fill it.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Read this thread. I think it'll help you out.
    Filling space in a Humidor with empty boxes instead of cigars?

Young Puffer Fish

Bigger is definitely better because you will fill up a smaller one quicker. And then you'll be like me with 5 or more humidors. I finally got a bigger one and can now get rid of a couple. Also, a larger humidor while a little tougher to season, once you have it up and running correctly, is easier to maintain.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

hey everybody, somewhat new to all this i have a 50count that is full was looking to upgrade. maybe 125 or 150. i want it to be right this time. i was told to season the one i have now with a sponge and since then i found that to be wrong. so need some schooling so i go into this new one right. i use 3 boveda 72 packs in what i have now by the way. thanks for all your help.
    You can season with a sponge, just don't put that sponge directly on any wood. Multiple sponges work too.
    So far the information has been pretty correct though.
    - Buy larger than you think you'll need.
    - Humidors DON'T hold as many cigars as advertised (most of the time).
    - Larger humidors are easier to maintain, also: fewer humidors are easier to maintain.
    - "Fuller" humidors keep RH better, BUT you can artificially "fill" your humi

Think about your organization style (or lack thereof?) and how you will want things to be in the future for yourself. Do you plan on keeping the 50ct you have now as a "pull-from" with the larger one for aging? Do you have/will you ever want a humidor for infused? Take a lot of the tips and knowledge into consideration, and hopefully that will help you make the best decision for your situation- best of luck, be sure to enjoy the process, and I'll be looking forward to some pictures of an awesome new humidor!
    I <3 Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    You should shoot for at least 50% of the volume of the box to be cigars.

If you don't have enough sticks to fill it, why buy it now? Just wait till you can fill it.
    i have a 50 count thats full...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    You can season with a sponge, just don't put that sponge directly on any wood. Multiple sponges work too.
    So far the information has been pretty correct though.
    - Buy larger than you think you'll need.
    - Humidors DON'T hold as many cigars as advertised (most of the time).
    - Larger humidors are easier to maintain, also: fewer humidors are easier to maintain.
    - "Fuller" humidors keep RH better, BUT you can artificially "fill" your humi

Think about your organization style (or lack thereof?) and how you will want things to be in the future for yourself. Do you plan on keeping the 50ct you have now as a "pull-from" with the larger one for aging? Do you have/will you ever want a humidor for infused? Take a lot of the tips and knowledge into consideration, and hopefully that will help you make the best decision for your situation- best of luck, be sure to enjoy the process, and I'll be looking forward to some pictures of an awesome new humidor!
    im going to be honest i don't know what you mean by infused. also i plan on giving the 50 ct to my dad.

im going to be honest i don't know what you mean by infused. also i plan on giving the 50 ct to my dad.
    Infused, flavored...like the ACID like by Drew Estate, and some other coffee smell/tasting cigars. There are also a few other strong smelling cigars, such as the Spectre by AJ. Keeping them with regular cigars can cause the smell to blend in to your normals.

While waiting for my other humidors to season, I haven't had an issue with the Spectre or ACID's I've had causing any problems with my normal sticks..but I keep everything in the cellophane if it comes shipped in it, so that will help some if you do have the mixed I believe.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Drez is right on point with the answer to that.
    If you're getting rid of your older one, the sticks in there may very well fill up nearly half of your new humi with the size you mentioned. Think about it that way. If you're thinking that you want space for growth, I'd say go bigger. If 300 is too intimidating (it's honestly just too big for my tastes, as a desktop) then look for a 200-250ct you like, there are quite a few options.

If you're going to get bigger than that (at least in my mind), you should just move up to coolidor/wineador. I personally have a 100ct, a 25ct (to hold infused) and a 125ct. They are all full, and I'm done buying humidors, as there's really no need to have more than that stash readily accessible and on display in my house. Anything more I want can more or less be "stored", which is more easily done in another type of container. Just my
    I <3 Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    Drez is right on point with the answer to that.
    If you're getting rid of your older one, the sticks in there may very well fill up nearly half of your new humi with the size you mentioned. Think about it that way. If you're thinking that you want space for growth, I'd say go bigger. If 300 is too intimidating (it's honestly just too big for my tastes, as a desktop) then look for a 200-250ct you like, there are quite a few options.

If you're going to get bigger than that (at least in my mind), you should just move up to coolidor/wineador. I personally have a 100ct, a 25ct (to hold infused) and a 125ct. They are all full, and I'm done buying humidors, as there's really no need to have more than that stash readily accessible and on display in my house. Anything more I want can more or less be "stored", which is more easily done in another type of container. Just my
    ok thanks. is it worth getting somethinf name brand or is anything on cigars international or a website like that ok... and id like something with a glass top so i can look in and not open it lol.

Puffer Fish with many spikes ACasazza's Avatar

ok thanks. is it worth getting somethinf name brand or is anything on cigars international or a website like that ok... and id like something with a glass top so i can look in and not open it lol.
    Go to cheaphumidors.com. Best service around.
    **Just starting out in this new world of cigars, any and all advice is welcome!**

Full grown Puffer Fish

if you want to go with the desktop version you can by all means. if you aren't looking to spend that much for a desktop, maybe a tupperdor might be something more helpful for you. I made one out of a 20qt sterilite with a gasket seal that holds humidity like a champ. there's many many threads around that helped me build mine. just make sure before anything, u get a good hygrometer and calibrate it properly before doing anything else. if that's not working properly, nothing else will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast