Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Humidor question.

This is a discussion on Humidor question. within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hey guys. Got my humidor in and got it seasoned (4 or 5 wipe-downs with wet cloth as well as ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Cool Breeze's Avatar

Humidor question.

Hey guys. Got my humidor in and got it seasoned (4 or 5 wipe-downs with wet cloth as well as leaving the wet cloth in it on a baggie for a half hour).

- My humidor is holding steady at 65%-67% with the round humidifier that came with the unit. There are only 13 cigars in the humidor right now.
    Here is my issue. Monday my first C-Bid order will come in. I believe it is 25 sticks. When I add them to the humi and the count goes from 13 to 38, will it effect the humidity? Will it go up or down with more sticks in it?

- I also have some tubos coming in next weeks order. Should I just leave them in the glass/plastic tubes and just put them in the humi?

Thanks guys

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: Humidor question.

Depends.....the new sticks will most likely raise the RH depending on how they were stored. I find new sticks bump the RH a couple pts depending on how many you are adding.

You may start a war on the tubos. It is a preference....I take them out and put them in the humi. Damage generally comes from jostling the sticks IMO and excessive handling.

Thanks zoey. I was hoping it would bump the RH up a little bit. I'd like it at 68%-70%.

Also, I know that it doesn't matter whether or not you leave the cello on or not by the countless threads I found with the search function. Wanted to make sure the tubos were the same. I'll likely just leave them in there.

Yeah I don't think it is a big deal to leave them in there or not.....I am not even sure why I do it sometimes....just a habit I guess.

Also I wouldn't get too worried about 65% vs. 68%....I know this may also start a war but if you keep it in that range you should be in great shape....either at 65 or 68.

Welcome to the fold!

Stay away from the devil site.....also gird your loins when you get into the WTS when you hit 90 days & 100 posts....you will find this forum is filled with great people who are great guides on this fun hobby...also they will tempt you with fabulous sticks....you will be like a kid in candy land....

Disinterested

First off, since humidors are not cigars, I've moved this to accessory discussion. Please take a moment to ensure you're posting in the correct forum(s).

Indeed, the RH will, in all likelihood, spike temporarily. The reason for this is quite simply that you're decreasing the volume of air without altering the water content. This will quickly settle down and stabilize at your desired set-point, depending on the media you're using.

In the future, I would strongly advise against wiping down a humidor. Adding moisture directly to wood is a recipe for warpage, particularly where concerns the seal, since it's thinner and therefore more delicate and more easily affected by rapid introduction of moisture. Once warped, it's 'game over'. The preferred method is to "passively" season a humidor, by placing a damp sponge on a saucer, or a piece of plastic wrap for several days. It will take a few months (regardless of method) to get it completely seasoned and stable. It simply takes time for the moisture to migrate completely and evenly throughout the wood.

First off, sorry about getting the question into the wrong forum.
    Being a newbie I spend most of my time here in the general cigar discussion and didn't even think when I posted the thread. I'll be more conscious of that in the future.

Second thank you for the advice. I just pulled up youtube videos on seasoning a humidor and did what they said. I can totally see how wiping it down could negatively effect the wood, especially if you get too much water on the dried wood at one time.

Are the seasoning wipes okay to use, or are they still introducing too much water at once? I've been seeing them on C-Bid for just a couple of dollars and wondered about them.

I need to know this, because this 50 count humidor is filling up rather rapidly and it likely won't be long before a larger unit is on the way. lol

Puffer Fish with many spikes ACasazza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    First off, sorry about getting the question into the wrong forum.
    Being a newbie I spend most of my time here in the general cigar discussion and didn't even think when I posted the thread. I'll be more conscious of that in the future.

Second thank you for the advice. I just pulled up youtube videos on seasoning a humidor and did what they said. I can totally see how wiping it down could negatively effect the wood, especially if you get too much water on the dried wood at one time.

Are the seasoning wipes okay to use, or are they still introducing too much water at once? I've been seeing them on C-Bid for just a couple of dollars and wondered about them.

I need to know this, because this 50 count humidor is filling up rather rapidly and it likely won't be long before a larger unit is on the way. lol
    I use the seasoning wipes and have never had a problem. I then leave the wipes in the humidor for a day or two after on a bag so they are fully used.

Wipe down and let sit for a day, stick wipe in humidor. Repeat for 4 days using a new wipe each time.
    **Just starting out in this new world of cigars, any and all advice is welcome!**

to add patience is key. Just don't try to rush it. I got a little nuts and ended up with 3 humidors and 3 herf a dors....now have a coolerador getting up to snuff. Welcome to the fold!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I use to wipe down my box, then stopped after a crack in the seam. I bought a 2 new humidors after that and did not wipe them at all. They are holding perfect, lesson learned the hard way.

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ACasazza View Post
    I use the seasoning wipes and have never had a problem.....
    I have heard the Boveda seasoning packs (82%) work great also. I believe they recommend 36 hours or more with that in the humidor to get it seasoned properly. This sounds to me like a great, safe way to season.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

I'd avoid wiping with anything, at all....

Follow this and you can't go wrong:http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...humi-stop.html
    I <3 Cigars

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    Hey guys. Got my humidor in and got it seasoned (4 or 5 wipe-downs with wet cloth as well as leaving the wet cloth in it on a baggie for a half hour).

- My humidor is holding steady at 65%-67% with the round humidifier that came with the unit. There are only 13 cigars in the humidor right now.
    Here is my issue. Monday my first C-Bid order will come in. I believe it is 25 sticks. When I add them to the humi and the count goes from 13 to 38, will it effect the humidity? Will it go up or down with more sticks in it?

- I also have some tubos coming in next weeks order. Should I just leave them in the glass/plastic tubes and just put them in the humi?

Thanks guys
    is 65-67 the highest you've gotten the RH?

I took Herf N Turf's advice and wet down a sponge with distilled water and left it in the humidor for two days (on a small saucer of course).
    It seemed to do the trick. I've got 40 sticks in it and it has been holding steady at 68#-70# for a few days now.

Quote Originally Posted by SOHResident View Post
    I have heard the Boveda seasoning packs (82%) work great also. I believe they recommend 36 hours or more with that in the humidor to get it seasoned properly. This sounds to me like a great, safe way to season.
    Next time I buy a humidor, and I'm sure it will be sooner than later, that's what I'm going to do.
    Seems like a pretty fool proof method. Lord knows I need that.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by SOHResident View Post
    They are 84% and you're supposed to leave them in (without opening the humidor) for two weeks. In reality, I've used them twice, and you are good to go after about 8-10 days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast