Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

2 - Wineador and having problems with RH

This is a discussion on 2 - Wineador and having problems with RH within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; How are the beads placed in the wineador? All in one clump, spread out all over? Do you have a ...

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: 2 - Wineador and having problems with RH

How are the beads placed in the wineador? All in one clump, spread out all over? Do you have a fan involved? What is holding the beads, a bag, a jar, an old humidifier disk, a pair of pantyhose?
    -Pictures can help-

How often do you open the wineador? That could be a cause for not getting up there for RH. How full it is will also decide, as cigars/SC will hold humidity, while air will exit each time you open and close it, so if you have mostly air, you will be losing a lot more RH each time you open.

Remember, even with the details you're giving here, it's not that much to go off of. We can't see or interact with your setup

Example: I have a 150 Qt Cooler and 70% HF beads in there, but my RH is only at 60%

That leaves a LOT of questions to be answered before anyone can answer yours, and since this is very situation-specific, the more information you give, the more easily others will be able to assist.

The quickest solutions usually come from the answers to these questions:
    - is your X seasoned? How did you do it? Did you do it right?
    - is your hygro calibrated? How did you do it? Did you do it right?
    - how full is your X, do you have enough cigars/media/SC to maintain?
    - how is your media distributed? Lots of airflow?
    - what is your media? have you used it correctly?
    - how is your seal? Are you leaking RH?
    - how often do you open X? Can you check RH without opening?
    I <3 Cigars

Young Fish

This doesn't answer your question but wanted to share my experience on hygrometers with you. I'm in the process of putting together a wineador and have the newair 181. I ordered 2 of the xikar rectangular ones with the calibrate button. I stuck both in the boveda calibrating kit. Let them sit for 48 hours and both came out 5 off. I then ordered one of the hygroset rectangular and able to adjust the reading and threw it in the kit and it was off by 10 over. I had to adjust that one by 10 clicks which I think is the max. Threw it back in and still 2 over. My point is that neither brand was accurate like they say.

Hope you get it working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo View Post
    This doesn't answer your question but wanted to share my experience on hygrometers with you. I'm in the process of putting together a wineador and have the newair 181. I ordered 2 of the xikar rectangular ones with the calibrate button. I stuck both in the boveda calibrating kit. Let them sit for 48 hours and both came out 5 off. I then ordered one of the hygroset rectangular and able to adjust the reading and threw it in the kit and it was off by 10 over. I had to adjust that one by 10 clicks which I think is the max. Threw it back in and still 2 over. My point is that neither brand was accurate like they say.

Hope you get it working properly.
    Caliber IV man, no complaints, I was recommended them by others who had no issues, mine are great, I've recommended to even more who have come back and said that it was a great decision. So without bashing anyone's choices, I'd whole-heartedly recommend snagging a Caliber IV- they are simply on-point.
    I <3 Cigars

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    How are the beads placed in the wineador? All in one clump, spread out all over? Do you have a fan involved? What is holding the beads, a bag, a jar, an old humidifier disk, a pair of pantyhose?
    -Pictures can help-

How often do you open the wineador? That could be a cause for not getting up there for RH. How full it is will also decide, as cigars/SC will hold humidity, while air will exit each time you open and close it, so if you have mostly air, you will be losing a lot more RH each time you open.

Remember, even with the details you're giving here, it's not that much to go off of. We can't see or interact with your setup

Example: I have a 150 Qt Cooler and 70% HF beads in there, but my RH is only at 60%

That leaves a LOT of questions to be answered before anyone can answer yours, and since this is very situation-specific, the more information you give, the more easily others will be able to assist.

I think this is the best advice. Maybe answer some of this for us and take pics?
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Puffer Fish with some spikes AndyJCL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    -Pictures can help-

I've had the NewAir for over a year. I bought it new, cleaned up and let it air out for a few days and added 2 lbs of 70RH beads in mesh bags (1lb each) and let it sit for a couple of days before I moved my sticks in there. I received my drawers a couple of months later and did a wipe down and placed them in the wineador and moved the sticks to a tupperware and desktop humidor until everything got acclimated. I also had 2 Oust fans in there but noticed that they didn't do much and the RH on the bottom of the wineador stayed at ~69-70 and the top ~65-66 as per my off-hygrometer so I never bothered installing a computer fan. I open it maybe 1-2x a week.

The VinoTemp I picked up a couple of months ago. It was used so I cleaned it up and let it air dry for a couple of days and placed 2 lbs of 70RH beads divided into 2 large. Tupperware. I ditched the mesh bags because I thought the Tupperware would be easier to handle and I don't have to deal with all the powder. I let it sit for a couple of days before I moved some empty boxes in there. I left the empty boxes in there for about a week before I moved over my sticks from my desktop humi and Tupperware and other boxes from the NewAir. It's been long enough for everything to get acclimated and the RH still sits at 60%. No fans on the Vinotemp.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

TJB

Either the empty boxes are still sucking up humidity or you have a leak somewhere in the seal of the wineador I think.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Laynard View Post
    I keep hearing that the new Xikar hygros are crap. Just because they said it checked out, doesn't mean it's accurate. They ALL claim to be +/- 1% out of the box (probably according to their "humidity chamber", but it seems that most of them are way further off than that. Maybe the master hygro in their "humidity chamber" is not accurate. Check it with a Boveda Calibration Kit.
    I bought to at the same time, one is perfect and one is really low -crap is right! They got a bad batch and can't afford to replace all of them, that is my assumption based upon the complaints on these forums.
    Nothing with blue flecks is going near my cigars that cats are suppose to urinate on!
    Hope all this nonsense makes sense!

Are those HF beads, HCM beads, ebay beads? They look very white, although the ones in the tupperware might be in pantyhose which would alter the perception of the color?
    I have HF beads, and I don't let them go all white, as that means they don't really have any moisture in them.

+1 that your boxes (or drawers) are sucking up the RH still. That's a LOT of wood. Think about seasoning a humidor for possibly weeks, now think of how much more wood you actually have here,and how much airspace needs to be saturated before the wood can soak up the extra RH to season. It's ridiculous. But that's why it would hold so well once fully complete.

Remember too, that without a fan, RH will be building up more at the top of your wineador, so the humidity should be higher up there...
    I <3 Cigars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2