Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 - Wineador and having problems with RH

This is a discussion on 2 - Wineador and having problems with RH within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have 1 NewAir and 1 VinoTemp 28 bottle wineador with 2 lbs of 70 RH beads each. The readings ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes AndyJCL's Avatar

2 - Wineador and having problems with RH

I have 1 NewAir and 1 VinoTemp 28 bottle wineador with 2 lbs of 70 RH beads each. The readings on my old hygrometer has always been 65-68RH. I've just recently purchased the new Xikar pre-calibrated digital hygrometer and placed them next to the old ones and after 3 days the RH reading was at 60%. I sent back the new one thinking the readings were off but Xikar checked in their humidity chamber and the reading is within 1%.

From what I've read, 2 lbs per wineador should be plenty. Any other ideas or suggestions on why my RH is so low?
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: 2 - Wineador and having problems with RH

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJCL View Post
    I have 1 NewAir and 1 VinoTemp 28 bottle wineador with 2 lbs of 70 RH beads each. The readings on my old hygrometer has always been 65-68RH. I've just recently purchased the new Xikar pre-calibrated digital hygrometer and placed them next to the old ones and after 3 days the RH reading was at 60%. I sent back the new one thinking the readings were off but Xikar checked in their humidity chamber and the reading is within 1%.

From what I've read, 2 lbs per wineador should be plenty. Any other ideas or suggestions on why my RH is so low?
    Not sure your brand/type of Wine Cooler, but some have fans and compressors that will jack up your RH. If it's winter and you open it a decent amount, the low temps/low RH in your home due to heating it could also be culprit. Just some thoughts
    I <3 Cigars

Maturing Puffer Fish gunnermcgee's Avatar

Did you plug the drain hole?

I keep hearing that the new Xikar hygros are crap. Just because they said it checked out, doesn't mean it's accurate. They ALL claim to be +/- 1% out of the box (probably according to their "humidity chamber", but it seems that most of them are way further off than that. Maybe the master hygro in their "humidity chamber" is not accurate. Check it with a Boveda Calibration Kit.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Laynard View Post
    I keep hearing that the new Xikar hygros are crap. Just because they said it checked out, doesn't mean it's accurate. They ALL claim to be +/- 1% out of the box (probably according to their "humidity chamber", but it seems that most of them are way further off than that. Maybe the master hygro in their "humidity chamber" is not accurate. Check it with a Boveda Calibration Kit.
    this is what i was gonna say.

Lots of complaints about the new units

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I got one not too long ago and it was within 1%. Seems to be a crap shoot with them. If your old trusty is spot on, put it in each for a few days to get the reading. You may not be low or your old one could be wrong.
    "If you don't know, now you know,......." -Biggie Smalls

TJB

remember 1% at their RH which is probably 75% will not necessarily be 1% at say 65% which is what your beads may be. As a matter a fact I just calibrated two caliber IV and they were identically off by -3 at 65% meaning they were reading 62%. Now that shows consistency which means it probably wasn't a fault of the calibers but they were calibrated at a different RH than I was using.

See what the xikar is at the RH you desire so throw a boveda pack at your desired RH in a ziplock bag and see what it says and then you will know for sure.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    remember 1% at their RH which is probably 75% will not necessarily be 1% at say 65% which is what your beads may be. As a matter a fact I just calibrated two caliber IV and they were identically off by -3 at 65% meaning they were reading 62%. Now that shows consistency which means it probably wasn't a fault of the calibers but they were calibrated at a different RH than I was using.

See what the xikar is at the RH you desire so throw a boveda pack at your desired RH in a ziplock bag and see what it says and then you will know for sure.
    So I had 2 of the older Xikar digital hygrometer in my Newair 281 and I had initially calibrated them using the salt method and used them in my wineador for about a year. I got a new wineador (Vinotemp 28 bottle) and had to buy a new hygrometer and the new model doesn't have the calibrate button, they all come pre-calibrated from the factory. So I placed the new one next to my old ones and noticed that the readings was about 10% off so I assumed it was probably the new one. I sent it back to have them check it. In the meantime, I pulled out the factory pre-calibrated hygrometer that came in my Daniel Marshall humidor and placed it in the wineador and the readings matched with that I saw on the new Xikar hygrometer which means that my initial calibration of the two older models were way off. My sticks have been sitting in 60% all along.

Both drain holes are plugged and I've sprayed a good amount of distilled water on all of my beads.
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

So I had 2 of the older Xikar digital hygrometer in my Newair 281 and I had initially calibrated them using the salt method and used them in my wineador for about a year. I got a new wineador (Vinotemp 28 bottle) and had to buy a new hygrometer and the new model doesn't have the calibrate button, they all come pre-calibrated from the factory. So I placed the new one next to my old ones and noticed that the readings was about 10% off so I assumed it was probably the new one. I sent it back to have them check it. In the meantime, I pulled out the factory pre-calibrated hygrometer that came in my Daniel Marshall humidor and placed it in the wineador and the readings matched with that I saw on the new Xikar hygrometer which means that my initial calibration of the two older models were way off. My sticks have been sitting in 60% all along.

Both drain holes are plugged and I've sprayed a good amount of distilled water on all of my beads.
    Although it's operator error and no fault of the salt, the salt-test leads many down the path of misjudgement. But fear not, as 60% really isn't terrible and if you've been enjoying your smokes.... well then now you KNOW what you preferred RH is
    I <3 Cigars

TJB

At least you know now. I guess you also know what RH you like your smokes at as well.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    At least you know now. I guess you also know what RH you like your smokes at as well.
    Im trying to get my RH up to ~65%. Anyone else have any suggestion of what I can do?

Im trying to get my RH up to ~65%. Anyone else have any suggestion of what I can do?
    Get 70% beads?

Quote Originally Posted by Laynard View Post
    Get 70% beads?
    Not sure if you read my post. I have 2 lbs of 70% beads in each wineador

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Not a whole lot of humidity on the west coast. That's a big player in the equation. Add more hydrating media and spray away.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Not sure if you read my post. I have 2 lbs of 70% beads in each wineador
    Sorry. I was thinking you had 65% the whole time. Do you add new boxes frequently? Mine dips for a few weeks while seasoning the new boxes I add. I don't know besides what Tony said.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast