Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ziplock modification for shipping?

This is a discussion on Ziplock modification for shipping? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; OK, I've seen now a few times on here when someone is posting their received trades often they are coming ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes tjhemp's Avatar

Ziplock modification for shipping?

OK, I've seen now a few times on here when someone is posting their received trades often they are coming in what looks like a gallon size ziplock bag with cigar sized pockets in it. Since I've never seen them for sale so I'm assuming they are homemade. Does anyone know how its done?

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Re: Ziplock modification for shipping?

I just put cigars into smaller ziplock baggies, which then go into the larger ones.

Puffer Fish with some spikes cutpaperglue's Avatar

It seems like there are an innumerable and ever-shifting variety of websites that stock the "finger bags." Here is one: Cigar and Tobacco Plastic Zipper Lock Bags | Wholesale Reclosable Zipper Bags for Cigars and Tobacco

This site is just the first one I came upon after a brief search. You may be able to find a better deal elsewhere. Google is your friend!

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by tjhemp View Post
    OK, I've seen now a few times on here when someone is posting their received trades often they are coming in what looks like a gallon size ziplock bag with cigar sized pockets in it. Since I've never seen them for sale so I'm assuming they are homemade. Does anyone know how its done?
    Order Five Finger Bags

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Wow, I haven't seen those yet, pretty cool!

But too rich for my blood...
    I <3 Cigars

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post

But too rich for my blood...
    $10 for 100 bags (the five pocket) seems pretty reasonable to me considering how much we all spend on this hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by SOHResident View Post
    $10 for 100 bags (the five pocket) seems pretty reasonable to me considering how much we all spend on this hobby.
    No dice! The second link was $17 for 100 bags once you count in shipping, and the $10 doesn't include it either.
    Considering I can get 1,000 bags at BJs for $10, or I can freely re-use any bags I get from incoming orders/trades (a never-ending always growing pile), the prices being asked for these things are ludicrous.
    Take a normal bag and put a soft flame under it and move down rows real quick and you can seal "fingers" into any bag, YMMV. That's all that's happening here, except a machine does it, and then there's a 100% or more markup. If someone wants to use these, like I said, they're neat and kind of fancy-cool, but I'd rather spend the $10 on my next stick, or put it towards my shipping charges when participating in trades/passes.

The enormous volume of money spent on this hobby actually encourages me to be as thrifty as I can on matters that have no bearing on the enjoyment of this hobby. I don't cut corners where it would be detrimental to my smoking experiences, but just because I pay a price to enjoy a sometimes costly hobby, doesn't mean that I want to spend more than I have to. Seriously, the less I spend, the happier I am
    I <3 Cigars

....I don't cut corners where it would be detrimental to my smoking experiences, but just because I pay a price to enjoy a sometimes costly hobby, doesn't mean that I want to spend more than I have to...
    and once again I am smarter for having been here...

I have to agree, with orders I've received from online stores I have plenty of smaller bags and protective wrap. I understand the concept behind individual fingers in the bags, but really...why? Unless you're putting one stick in a gallon size bag you don't need it separated that extensively. Bubble wrap can be gotten cheap (or free if you go to the right places and ask) and will offer far more protection than an individual finger ziplock bag IMO.

Packing the right size bag with enough sticks to be full but still easily closeable, then a safe tuck into a "bubble wrap" bags is what I've sent packages out with. So in the future, if someone receives a shipment from me..I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for reusing those Cigar International bags.

and once again I am smarter for having been here...
    Worry nawt, as it's all preference. I use Don Ronson Jet Lite Torch Lighters as well, but I'd never look down on someone who has a $2,000 AF Special Edition Lighter with Quad-core processing and wifi. That's super-cool, and if I saw that and wanted it, I'd make some rationalization for why it's worth it. I just can't care that much about my shipping presentation... not to say I don't care very much so about shipping preservation and cigar safety (Concern Numero Uno).
    I <3 Cigars

Young Puffer Fish

No dice! The second link was $17 for 100 bags once you count in shipping, and the $10 doesn't include it either.
    Considering I can get 1,000 bags at BJs for $10, or I can freely re-use any bags I get from incoming orders/trades (a never-ending always growing pile), the prices being asked for these things are ludicrous.
    Take a normal bag and put a soft flame under it and move down rows real quick and you can seal "fingers" into any bag, YMMV. That's all that's happening here, except a machine does it, and then there's a 100% or more markup. If someone wants to use these, like I said, they're neat and kind of fancy-cool, but I'd rather spend the $10 on my next stick, or put it towards my shipping charges when participating in trades/passes.

The enormous volume of money spent on this hobby actually encourages me to be as thrifty as I can on matters that have no bearing on the enjoyment of this hobby. I don't cut corners where it would be detrimental to my smoking experiences, but just because I pay a price to enjoy a sometimes costly hobby, doesn't mean that I want to spend more than I have to. Seriously, the less I spend, the happier I am
    I agree. I posted the link to simply show the OP where he could get them. I wouldn't pay that much for those types of bags unless I owned a cigar business, and even then, I think it's too much of a premium. I don't think these bags are any better than old fashioned zip locks or the bags that CI uses.

Worry nawt, as it's all preference. I use Don Ronson Jet Lite Torch Lighters as well, but I'd never look down on someone who has a $2,000 AF Special Edition Lighter with Quad-core processing and wifi. That's super-cool, and if I saw that and wanted it, I'd make some rationalization for why it's worth it. I just can't care that much about my shipping presentation... not to say I don't care very much so about shipping preservation and cigar safety (Concern Numero Uno).

GREAT... now I want quad core processor lighter with wifi!!! I have not actually shipped or received any cigars as of yet. I have bought all of mine from various B&M's but that is getting too spendy. I am looking into the online stores and auctions (not sure who to trust and who to avoid as of yet) and I am very much looking forward to doing some trading.

GREAT... now I want quad core processor lighter with wifi!!! I have not actually shipped or received any cigars as of yet. I have bought all of mine from various B&M's but that is getting too spendy. I am looking into the online stores and auctions (not sure who to trust and who to avoid as of yet) and I am very much looking forward to doing some trading.
    Online store favorites
    Online Retailers

Ask a puffer about an online store, get 15 opinions. Everyone has favorites, the only thing is, beware CBid. It's probably the fastest way to "Save" your bank account empty. Deal, deals, deals...
    I mean, even if I buy at a B&M though, I just keep those bags they give you to keep the cigars fresh for the ride home. Pretty much what you get from online stores, and sometimes a RH packet of some sort if it's a premium set. (Received my first "tiny" boveda this past wednesday. Seriously small.)
    I <3 Cigars

It isn't so much which ones to trust, a lot of it comes down to knowing what you can afford and not going over that. A lot of people have that problem it seems. There's tons of sites..I've only dealt with a couple. Famous Smoke Shop and its family (CigarMonster and CigarAuctioneer) and Cigars International (and CigarBid), both seem to have great customer service when issues do come up, and respond in a timely manner when you do have questions for them. I also visit Cigar.com, to check their daily deals and their cigar sprint sale.

Knowing when to hold back on the auction sites is key. Check around for prices before bidding on what you're interested in, and give yourself a set point to where you'll stop bidding..Say half of the prices that they're currently selling for wherever you can get them cheapest. That's how I do it, at least. I won't go over half of what I could buy it outright for, as the items will come back around..usually only within a day. Also don't go crazy low-bidding on a ton of items thinking you won't win them....because you end up winning them and then spending double what you were expecting to spend to begin with. (Yeah that one happened to me the first time ) Limits and smart shopping can get you some great deals, but as Sean said it's a quick way to drain some money.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the link to the other threads. Now I have lots of sites to do price checking on before falling victim to overbidding. I REALLY appreciate all the insight from the experienced puffers around here!!!
    Tracy- sorry I kind of feel like I accidently hijacked your thread. My apologies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast