Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Best humidifier for a small 30-count humidor?

This is a discussion on Best humidifier for a small 30-count humidor? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have a 30-count Esplenade humidor, with a glass-window top. The bin is only 2 1/4" high. It came with ...

Best humidifier for a small 30-count humidor?

I have a 30-count Esplenade humidor, with a glass-window top. The bin is only 2 1/4" high. It came with a thin long squared humidifier (like a square cigar) that is supposed to be velcro'd to the top of the lid (not onto the glass, of course). When I did attach it the weight of the distilled water promptly caused the humidifier to fall to the bottom of the bin, actually coming apart, with part of it still velro'd to the lid.

I had to put the humidifier back together and just lay it on the bottom of the bin at the front of the humidor. It has actually done a decent job keeping the rH at 65% (the seal on this humidor is dynamite, unlike the large Arch Barrel I also have).

A Gel Jar is almost 2" high, and I don't know if having the top so close to the lid will affect the performance (probably not, but I *am* a compulsive paranoid ^_^ ).

Are there any higher quality humidifiers that are made for these smaller humidors? What *is* nice about the one that came with the Esplenade is that being shaped as it is, about a 1/2" wide, it does not affect filling the humidor to capacity, as the bin is 6 3/4" front to back, and I can still line up 6" sticks right up to the humidifier.

Any help, including "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," is appreciated.

Re: Best humidifier for a small 30-count humidor?

Two Boveda packs. Simple and clean. You will have to replace them every couple of months, but no muss, no fuss.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Thanks. That was one of the options I was looking at. I actually bought a box of 72s for the "Coleman Coolidor" I'm forced to use for the time being after buying too many sticks once I decided to start smoking on the golf course (if it was food, it'd be a case of "my eyes bigger than my stomach." Only the cheaper cigs are in there anyway. Tossed four of the Bovedas in there with about 50 cigars.

When using Bovedas in a real humidor, should you lay the sticks on top of the packs, or put the cigars in first and then lay the Bovedas across the top? The bigger humidors sometimes have permanent dividers for you to place a humidifier, but the smaller humidors only have the bin and moveable dividers.

Boveda does make a cedar holder you could mount, but I'd just throw the packs on top. You can also throw them underneath if you don't want to look at them. Bovedas won't hurt the cigars if they touch, so it's all up to you.

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/holders/
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Thanks again. They look nice.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JoePerez View Post
    Thanks again. They look nice.
    They look nice, but are a waste of money IMO. You can place the packs right next to the cigars without any issue from what I have read.
    I currently keep my packs next to the cigars and I have not noticed any bad effects.