Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cheap chinese humidor fixes

This is a discussion on cheap chinese humidor fixes within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Brother in law bought a cheap china humidor and had a ton of trouble getting it to run. I had ...

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

cheap chinese humidor fixes

Brother in law bought a cheap china humidor and had a ton of trouble getting it to run. I had him drop it off so I could see if I could fix it.

Problem one : not wood. Pressboard construction with micro-thin cedar veneer. Pretty sure the walls leak profusely, especially considering the outer finish isnt a thick laquer job.

Problem two: gaps. The lid seal, glass seal both had up to 1/8" gaps.

Problem three: the bottom of the box was just a 1/8" cedar veneer held in by a piece of felt glued to the bottom.

I took everything apart. Sandwiched the base veneer between two pieces of Plexiglas, routed a joint, and glued in place.

Took the lid apart, siliconed the glass and pinned the lid 'seal' pieces in place with some silicone on the inner gaps.

Siliconed a piece of glass over the front mount hygrometer and glued the dial to 68%.

I think it may still be leaking too much. Its only been two days, but with a saucer plate of dw, its still sitting st 74% At 68F. Trying to season the wood before I go to a half pound of hf beads.

Is 74% indicative of a leaky box? Or is that all I can expect with this method of seasoning? Im not going to wipe any surfaces, given the box construction, pressboard isnt going to be happy with direct moisture contact.

Re: cheap chinese humidor fixes

I often see y'all running these kinda humidors on here and was wondering what the trick is? I've done all I can think of short of building him one like mine, and I'm still not sure it'll work.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

This would be the only worthwhile way to fix it
    Name:  c41.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  79.3 KB
    Going to be brutally honest. I don't think it is worth fixing. Just buy a better cheap humidor and save the hassle unless you got A LOT of spare time.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    This would be the only worthwhile way to fix it
    Name:  c41.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  79.3 KB
    Going to be brutally honest. I don't think it is worth fixing. Just buy a better cheap humidor and save the hassle unless you got A LOT of spare time.
    +1, cause that guy looks hungry- Nom Nom Nom

But seriously, unless there's immense sentimental value, just drop $30 and get a cheap humidor that isn't going to cost you dollar$ and time.
    You have already gone through a lot of work so far, so if it's "winning the project" that matters to you, keep on going! You might win this one still?
    I <3 Cigars

Scotch & Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    I think it may still be leaking too much. Its only been two days, but with a saucer plate of dw, its still sitting st 74% At 68F. Trying to season the wood before I go to a half pound of hf beads.

Is 74% indicative of a leaky box? Or is that all I can expect with this method of seasoning? Im not going to wipe any surfaces, given the box construction, pressboard isnt going to be happy with direct moisture contact.
    74% rh? what rh are you trying to get it to? if it was leaking I would expect the rh to be lower unless that is the humidity in the room where the humidor is stored.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Maybe try soaking it LOL!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

How about where the lid seals up with the base of the humidor?

Put some blue masking tape around the protruding lip until it closes more firmly.

better threads on this somewhere here on puff.

I will agree with the others though, these cheap humidors aren't worth the time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    74% rh? what rh are you trying to get it to? if it was leaking I would expect the rh to be lower unless that is the humidity in the room where the humidor is stored.
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would get higher than that with just DW evaporating from a saucer. Ambient humidity is around 30-35% currently

Edit: Checked now and reading 79%. Think it was just the trays/divider/maybe the walls soaking up the humidity. Now that they're happy the air is more saturated.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    How about where the lid seals up with the base of the humidor?

Put some blue masking tape around the protruding lip until it closes more firmly.

better threads on this somewhere here on puff.

I will agree with the others though, these cheap humidors aren't worth the time or money.
    So... why so many post recommending the China boxes from cheaphumidors?

They're the same thing, no?

Every chinese humidor I've seen has very similar construction. Some have a better laquer finish on the outside but they're all a super thin veneer over pressboard and a thin base.

Granted, I've only seen and handled three up close, but they've all been like this. That was my original thought was to buy him another cheap china humi but after looking at a couple others, I figured I'd be "fixing" those too.
    Last edited by danmdevries; 03-11-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would get higher than that with just DW evaporating from a saucer. Ambient humidity is around 30-35% currently

Edit: Checked now and reading 79%. Think it was just the trays/divider/maybe the walls soaking up the humidity. Now that they're happy the air is more saturated.

So... why so many post recommending the China boxes from cheaphumidors?

They're the same thing, no?

Every chinese humidor I've seen has very similar construction. Some have a better laquer finish on the outside but they're all a super thin veneer over pressboard and a thin base.

Granted, I've only seen and handled three up close, but they've all been like this. That was my original thought was to buy him another cheap china humi but after looking at a couple others, I figured I'd be "fixing" those too.
    I have never handled one of their humidors and I know very little about them so I wouldn't be a good person to speak for the quality of their humidors or where they even come from.

I suppose there are many different places or even countries that we probably import humidors from..........to assume they are all the same quality might be naive.

Full grown Puffer Fish Ricardo-'s Avatar

Brother in law bought a cheap china humidor

Is there any other kind???? I think most humidors sold in the big web sites come from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo- View Post
    Is there any other kind???? I think most humidors sold in the big web sites come from China.
    Yup, and all I've seen are pretty much junk. Sure, they might work with enough beads, but compared to a good humidor, they're junk.

Unless someone can prove otherwise?

There's gotta be someone that can, or at least try, as I see many posts here about cheap humidors.

Seems like these boxes are just jewelry boxes renamed humidor.

This "gasket" around the analog hygrometer doesn't seal anything. Just holds it in place.

Not wood:

How is 1/8" super porous wood veneer covered with felt going to hold humidity?

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Some Chinese products are better than others. It just depends on the company that orders the product built at the plant. Some companies have very strict quality control, while others are less strict. Just think of clothes. Many named brand clothes are made in China now, but I doubt you can compare an expensive Diesel shirt to one of those tourist shirts, such as I heart NY. Although they probably were made in the same plant.
    I assume the same is true for humidor. Some companies may just order better humidors than others.

I'm not sure what you want anymore.

You first wanted some advice but I'm not sure what your after now or what exactly you want to hear.

Sounds like you know what your dealing with.....

Not sure what I want anymore either.

think I got the box fixed, humidity stabilized after two days. Posted OP before that happened and was thinking I was still leaking. Was kinda looking to hear how high humidity should be with a saucer of water in the humi if the box was sealed well because 74 didn't seem right to me.

Now just bashing cheap china humidors and posting pictures. Still not sure why people recommend these, unless there are some good ones out there (haven't yet seen one)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast