Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Using PG in cheap round humidifier?

This is a discussion on Using PG in cheap round humidifier? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I upgraded my humidification in my humidor to the gels that use PG solution. The humidor came with one of ...

Using PG in cheap round humidifier?

I upgraded my humidification in my humidor to the gels that use PG solution. The humidor came with one of those small round humidifiers with the "sponge-like" material. Can I use that humidifier with 50/50 PG instead of distilled water for a 20-cigar sized tupperdor for my cheaper cigars

Hoping PG would balance RH and also cut down on potential mold

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Using PG in cheap round humidifier?

You definitely can, but be vigilant on monitoring RH, especially in a Tupperdor. The PG/water solution ideally produces 70% RH, but there's certainly the potential that it can go much higher. Still, if you have a cheap source of PG, it's cheaper than buying beads.

Really, those sponge-type humidifiers should always be filled with PG solution. Straight up water is practically begging for grossness.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg82 View Post
    I upgraded my humidification in my humidor to the gels that use PG solution. The humidor came with one of those small round humidifiers with the "sponge-like" material. Can I use that humidifier with 50/50 PG instead of distilled water for a 20-cigar sized tupperdor for my cheaper cigars

Hoping PG would balance RH and also cut down on potential mold
    I recommend staying away from gel, crystals, PG, and Foam in general. They all spawn mold. If you want ease and regularity, go with Boveda, HF beads, or HCM beads (or Kitty Litter). I use HF myself, doesn't get any better in my opinion. No mold worries, keeps constant RH, easy. Some might say "beads are expensive", but we're talking <$20 here for the life of your humidor.... If you have a tupperdor, I'd recommend Boveda, you can throw 1 or 2 in there and you'll be fine for up to a year? They can be recharged as well.

IMO, the only question you should really be asking is "what RH should I pick?" in which case the answer is: "Whatever your preference"
    I <3 Cigars

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    I recommend staying away from gel, crystals, PG, and Foam in general. They all spawn mold. If you want ease and regularity, go with Boveda, HF beads, or HCM beads (or Kitty Litter). I use HF myself, doesn't get any better in my opinion. No mold worries, keeps constant RH, easy. Some might say "beads are expensive", but we're talking <$20 here for the life of your humidor.... If you have a tupperdor, I'd recommend Boveda, you can throw 1 or 2 in there and you'll be fine for up to a year? They can be recharged as well.

IMO, the only question you should really be asking is "what RH should I pick?" in which case the answer is: "Whatever your preference"
    I'd also like to throw that Boveda's are rechargeable as well. (That is why I am going to Boveda route) So it is a one time investment for a long period of time. Much less maintenance or hassle then beads IMO. If they begin to feel still put them in tupperware with DW for about 10 days and they will be good as new.

No longer a community member.

you mean this kind of gel that uses PG solution?

Interesting - I thought using PG would avoid mold. Someone told me you can use the silica beads in dessicant packs (I use them for ammo storage) in a humidor with distilled water and they will have same property as HF beads. Is that true? I'm sure the Heartfelt people think otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg82 View Post
    Interesting - I thought using PG would avoid mold. Someone told me you can use the silica beads in dessicant packs (I use them for ammo storage) in a humidor with distilled water and they will have same property as HF beads. Is that true? I'm sure the Heartfelt people think otherwise
    People say lots of things, Your Mileage May Vary...

Some people order silica beads on ebay and say they work as good or better than HF. Others say Silica kitty litter is the same as HF beads. I bought HF beads because I want a product that is tested, trusted, and whom I can contact customer service if I have any issues.

Silica combined with salt creates these beads, there's numerous threads discussing it in-depth, but if they were all the same, wouldn't everyone just agree that they all work?

If you go beads, buy "real" beads, or else you'll be in the same situation as you are in now, looking for a "better" product. HF or HCM as far as beads, Boveda for packs, Kitty Litter for those who feel adventurous and want to save money.

My buddy bought "beads" that were "just like HF" on ebay. They were crystal gel stuff like below when they arrived, definitely not beads. He's still using it. That's fine for him. Everyone makes choices, and we all live with them. But to me, the easy choice is to just pick something that has a proven track record and then you can worry about much more important things in life.

@huskers - love that pic!, thanks for chiming in.
    I <3 Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    People say lots of things, Your Mileage May Vary...

Some people order silica beads on ebay and say they work as good or better than HF. Others say Silica kitty litter is the same as HF beads. I bought HF beads because I want a product that is tested, trusted, and whom I can contact customer service if I have any issues.

Silica combined with salt creates these beads, there's numerous threads discussing it in-depth, but if they were all the same, wouldn't everyone just agree that they all work?

If you go beads, buy "real" beads, or else you'll be in the same situation as you are in now, looking for a "better" product. HF or HCM as far as beads, Boveda for packs, Kitty Litter for those who feel adventurous and want to save money.

My buddy bought "beads" that were "just like HF" on ebay. They were crystal gel stuff like below when they arrived, definitely not beads. He's still using it. That's fine for him. Everyone makes choices, and we all live with them. But to me, the easy choice is to just pick something that has a proven track record and then you can worry about much more important things in life.

@huskers - love that pic!, thanks for chiming in.

Yes.....I dont know why people are so darn cheap when it comes to humidification of your cigars.

You spend all the money on the cigars you like and then people try to get by with the cheapest, internet, he said-she said source of humidification.

Just get something that is tested and is known to work and be done with it!
    Last edited by huskers; 03-11-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    you mean this kind of gel that uses PG solution?
    Dangit @huskers Every time you post this picture it makes me want to run home as fast as I can to check and make sure my crystals are not covered in mold. lol

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Dangit @huskers Every time you post this picture it makes me want to run home as fast as I can to check and make sure my crystals are not covered in mold. lol
    RELAX!

I'm sure your cigars are fine....................

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post

Mine is not as spectacular, but this was after I just left the crystals sitting on my counter, allowing them to dry out- still mold!
    (although I will note that another user of these same crystals has been keeping them in his humi as his media, and has yet to find any...)
    Still, I prefer not having to worry about checking.
    I <3 Cigars

RELAX!

OMG. That's some MIGHTY fine plume!
    I <3 Cigars

RELAX!

Oh that's just "plume" its good for the cigars or at least that is what one of the local B&M employees told me when i was looking at a box of ashton VSG that looked like those

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Blargh! These photos make me want to hurl.

I agree that a simple Boveda pack would be the easiest, and that HF beads (or a similar product) are probably the best; that's what I have in my own humidor. But these are all recent things, and people were using foam humidifiers with water/PG for decades before any of these products hit the market. In fact, even on the internet, it wasn't that long ago when the only proper way to store your cigars was in a cooler or tupperware with a homemade humidifer, made from a plastic soap valet and floral Oasis from the local craft shop. Anyone else remember alt.smokers.cigars?

Heck, I literally used a shot glass of salt slurry in my Tupperdor all through college without a single mold or beetle issue. So these cheaper, inferior methods worked for years and still do work, even though they're not ideal. Then again, I rarely had anything more expensive than a Fuente 8-5-8 in those days. Not sure I'd be happy about spending $15/stick on a T52 and only paying 50 cents for some salt in a shotglass to keep it healthy.

Of course! I've read posts by older puffers here who still use foam and DW to this day, as that's the habit they formed, they know when to add DW, and have become accustomed to their particular setup. The issue with that is the intangible knowledge of "how it's done". People who come on here and have issues (even after all the various stickies/threads have given information 1000X over) are obviously not at the place where they can simply "feel" a cigar and tell if their RH needs to be higher, or where they can not oversaturate a floral foam piece and cause mold.

If you think about it, there are an infinite # of examples of an "older way" of doing things that works in a completely acceptable manner. The fact is, that technology has advanced and made life easier for us all over time, therefore (especially at the price point required in this situation), it makes sense to simply recommend someone use the most foolproof manner of maintaining their collection.

Also remember, along with these "old methods" of humidification, "old methods" were ALSO used to create humidors, etc. Quality was much more common. Things were built to last. There wasn't a 9-year-old child in China making the cheapest possible product that can still be sold and "accepted" as a humidor. So whereas floral foam would work perfectly well in a completely seasoned, quality humidor, it could be a different situation with a more cheaply made, less reliable, modern humidor (the kind that most n00bs start with).

Even considering your shot slurry. It could have spilled if it was bumped or tipped for any of a million reasons. But yours didn't. Correct, it worked for you. But I (and most here) would never recommend that to someone, because they'll be real butt-hurt when theirs gets knocked over for some reason and it ruins all their sticks.

I'm fine with any method that works, sometimes it's even cooler/more interesting to have a more far-out, less-used method, as that adds a "special something" to your setup. But at the same time, when it comes to people asking advice or questions, it usually means they are new, and they need help, and they need that help in a more templated form so that they can understand and apply it to their situation. Hopefully, when they become more advanced in their knowledge and processes, they can choose to go a "more difficult" route if they so please.

I think you really nailed it at the end there too, I mean, what is $20 for more HF beads or Boveda than you'll need when two cigars can easily cost more than that.
    I <3 Cigars