Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Do the cheap foam humidifiers that come with humidors offer two way humidification?

This is a discussion on Do the cheap foam humidifiers that come with humidors offer two way humidification? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I recently got my first humidor, a small 50 ct Whitetail glasstop (which is full and will not in fact, ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Cool Breeze's Avatar

Do the cheap foam humidifiers that come with humidors offer two way humidification?

I recently got my first humidor, a small 50 ct Whitetail glasstop (which is full and will not in fact, hold 50 cigars) and it came with the standard round humidification device with the foam.
    I wet it down with distilled water and it is holding a pretty steady 66%-70% so I'm happy for the time being.

I was just wondering if it offered 2 way humidification. When I go out of town for a few days at a time I don't want to worry about my stash.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Re: Do the cheap foam humidifiers that come with humidors offer two way humidificatio

Nope. That's the real benefit of Boveda or HF beads. They will keep you from going too high.

The rest basically just slowly release RH into the air (Foam, gels, etc) so that they are restoring what is lost when you open/absorbed by wood/absorbed by cigars, etc. They have no way of knowing if they go above a specific RH, so they will just continually add until they are dry. Boveda & HF beads are set to a specific RH, so they will literally absorb excess RH in the air to bring it down if it goes above their specified RH (which is why you should only wet 70% of them, so they have room to absorb more)
    I <3 Cigars

No longer a community member.

Re: Do the cheap foam humidifiers that come with humidors offer two way humidificatio

as already stated.........no.

Junk, throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    as already stated.........no.

Junk, throw it away.
    Heyheyhey! I prefer to keep them, rip out the foam, and refill with more desirable media... recycling is more kind to our planet!
    I <3 Cigars

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTheEvans View Post
    Heyheyhey! I prefer to keep them, rip out the foam, and refill with more desirable media... recycling is more kind to our planet!

Full grown Puffer Fish Cool Breeze's Avatar

Oh cool, so I can just discard the foam and replace it with beads in the same container. Sweet. I'll do that.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I used the foam in the beginning of my cigar smoking, but quickly got away form them. I was using the Black Ice before i got a Cigar Oasis Excel.

Newbie in the ocean

I know lots prefer to ditch the florist foam for other forms, but in my humidor's and coolerdor's. I like the foam as a source of constant adding humidity. My desktop has beads, and foam, with out opening it maintains 70 for about a month. Coolerdor's I run KL and foam, my first haven't had to touch in almost a year, my second one I'm still getting setup.
    If you'll be out of town for a week I doubt you will use much humidity if it has a good seal to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I recently got my first humidor, a small 50 ct Whitetail glasstop (which is full and will not in fact, hold 50 cigars) and it came with the standard round humidification device with the foam.
    I wet it down with distilled water and it is holding a pretty steady 66%-70% so I'm happy for the time being.

I was just wondering if it offered 2 way humidification. When I go out of town for a few days at a time I don't want to worry about my stash.
    I think that if you use propylene glycol solution ("Cigar juice" available from several brands) on your foam humidifier, it essentially gives you 2 way humidification. It just may not be enough because of the size limitations of these foam things.

So I use Humistat tubes(I like them because I can throw them into a portable humidor for a week long trip).. Members here use Boveda packs, Heartfelt beads and others.

Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    I think that if you use propylene glycol solution ("Cigar juice" available from several brands) on your foam humidifier, it essentially gives you 2 way humidification. It just may not be enough because of the size limitations of these foam things.

So I use Humistat tubes(I like them because I can throw them into a portable humidor for a week long trip).. Members here use Boveda packs, Heartfelt beads and others.
    I'm not sure what you consider "essentially", but it does not offer 2-way humidification. Just to keep things on the up and up- wouldn't want anyone thinking it had benefits that it indeed, does not.

While it may theoretically "limit" H20 evaporation to a specific RH (not even sure if it can vary or not? I don't use it), it will not absorb extra moisture if humidity builds up above your desired RH in your humidor. That would be 2-way. This is sometimes needed if cigars are added to the humidor that are wetter than one would like (as they often are when shipped from online sources).
    I <3 Cigars