Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Family heirloom got passed down to me last night

This is a discussion on Family heirloom got passed down to me last night within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by AuTechCoM Wow Glad you said something because of my lack of experience my first thought was "I ...

No longer a community member.

Re: Family heirloom got passed down to me last night

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Wow Glad you said something because of my lack of experience my first thought was "I need to go get some steel wool" but I am looking for any advice

You are Probably right about not restoring them. They do have a lot of history behind them. My Great Grandfather was the assistant to General Omar Bradley. but I was kinda hoping for them to be fully functional and shiny but maybe just keep them in a shadow box or something.
    They aren't functional?

Don't make them shiny man, keep them as is.......they look way cooler old and with history.

A great conversation piece.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    They aren't functional?

Don't make them shiny man, keep them as is.......they look way cooler old and with history.

A great conversation piece.
    Well they are a little loose and have a gap. Tried to trim my stache didn't really work and I don't have any smaller RG sticks to try the V-cutter. and you are right about the conversation starter but I only have one friend that smokes cigars lol

I wish I could find out some history about these type of Scissors. Never seen them before and Google hasn't helped so far.

Well they are a little loose and have a gap. Tried to trim my stache didn't really work and I don't have any smaller RG sticks to try the V-cutter. and you are right about the conversation starter but I only have one friend that smokes cigars lol
    Yea, but someday.........if you pass them down, they will mean more to someone looking like they are now rather than all shiny and new.

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Those are really neat.

I think the thing that really sticks out to me is the stamped country of origen.

I've gotten so accustomed to seeing "china" stamped on things that I did a double take seeing more characters in the stamped name.

Quote Originally Posted by danmdevries View Post
    Those are really neat.

I think the thing that really sticks out to me is the stamped country of origen.

I've gotten so accustomed to seeing "china" stamped on things that I did a double take seeing more characters in the stamped name.
    Yeah they are pretty awesome and made in Germany.

Puffer Fish with some spikes irie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    I would seek professional help and avoid any mishaps.
    I completely agree with this I would either leave them as is and keep them as a very cool family heirloom. Or Pay a professional to do a proper restoration so nothing catastrophic occurs despite your best intentions.

Generally speaking steel wool will do far more harm than good to something like this. This is especially true with antique fire arms. Removing patina and losing value is one thing but honestly generally speaking DYI home restos that are usually a combination of steel wool and elbow grease tend to have a habit of destroying the piece in the process.

I say spend a little bit of money to have it done professionally or leave it alone.

Yeah I think I am just going to leave them as they are. thanks for the feedback guys. Still trying to find anything about these online, any help would be great.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Yeah I think I am just going to leave them as they are. thanks for the feedback guys. Still trying to find anything about these online, any help would be great.
    No problem!
    I tried looking myself, but I can't find anything. I even tried to image search it and I came up with nothing.
    You might need to submit some pictures to a museum curator or some professional who has knowledge in cigar cutters, grooming equipment, et cetera and see what they tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    No problem!
    I tried looking myself, but I can't find anything. I even tried to image search it and I came up with nothing.
    You might need to submit some pictures to a museum curator or some professional who has knowledge in cigar cutters, grooming equipment, et cetera and see what they tell you.

That IS Bad Ass! Not knowing much about this sort of restoration, I did have some metal cleaned up by blasting it with some sort of nut shell. I would imagine that might help with the appearance, but not sure how to go about sharpening the cutter. Sure would be cool to cut a cigar and remembering from where the cutter came.

Are there any markings?
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

What a cool family heirloom. If it were mine I'd be the type to get it restored or at least sharpened and functional. It'd be a hell of a conversation starter at the lounge.

@AuTechCoM . Having them restored is up to you, of course, but I think it would be worth at least getting a few professional opinions on the matter. Either way, it is already a prize possession.

I don't know if your great grandfather was German, but mine was, and hanging next to his framed US Citizenship papers from 1885, I have a picture of him posing proudly in front of some kind of humungous Model-T looking vehicle, one foot hoisted on the running board with cigar in hand, and sporting a huge handlebar moustache. That picture always gives me a chuckle when I view it. Along with the feeling that an appreciation for fine cigars may be "in my blood", as they say.

Now I wonder if he ever used a cool pair of "double-duty" scissors like that. I'll have to ask my mom, who is 92, if she recalls ever seeing one in use. One thing I do have from back then is a gold cigar cutter, shaped much like the kinds we use today. It is on the small and delicate side, made for no more than a 30 rg I'd say, so I never use it, and kind of forgot I have it, until your mention today.
    Enjoy your "new" find. It is something special. T.
    Last edited by TCBSmokes; 03-12-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Those are KICK ASS imagine the family history they have been present for. Births, celebrstions, relaxing conversations. I'd have them restored to functional and add my own history to them. Then each time you use them you will be connected to your past.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Well guys after a long day of drinking and smoking cigars at a social club... I will get to my responses in the morning but I will say they were a hell of a conversation starter today and in their current condition they cut cigars a hell of a lot better than the brass knuckle room 101 scissors I have. Now to crawl to what I believe is my bed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast