Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Family heirloom got passed down to me last night

This is a discussion on Family heirloom got passed down to me last night within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Good morning everyone. I just wanted to share the awesome piece of family history that was passed down to me ...

Family heirloom got passed down to me last night

Good morning everyone. I just wanted to share the awesome piece of family history that was passed down to me last night. I was over at my grandmothers with my daughter helping out around the house when my grandmother said she had a few things for me. so I followed her to her quilting room where she pulled out a little pair of scissors and said I "might like to have these since you smoke cigars now" as soon as they touched my hand I knew that I definitely wanted them. She said that they belonged to my Great Grandfather. now besides the obvious desire to keep something that meant enough to my family to keep around for generations they are a pair of Mustache Scissors with a little V-Cutter on them that she said he used all the time for his Cigars. How cool is that? So i figured it would share the story with you guys.

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Re: Family heirloom got passed down to me last night

That's a really cool heirloom you got there. Did you do any research on it? I'm curious to know a bit more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar-Enthusiast View Post
    That's a really cool heirloom you got there. Did you do any research on it? I'm curious to know a bit more about it.
    Thanks, I thought they were awesome. I just got them last night. so posting on here is my first attempt at researching them. I figure we have enough old timers on here that could probably help out. Now i am just barely googleing them. I am planning to restore them to their original glory soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Thanks, I thought they were awesome. I just got them last night. so posting on here is my first attempt at researching them. I figure we have enough old timers on here that could probably help out. Now i am just barely googleing them. I am planning to restore them to their original glory soon.
    That's good to hear.
    FYI if you remove the patina on the cutter it will pretty much lose its value from what I know about antiques. Maybe you should look into professional restoration so they won't make any mistakes when restoring.

Good luck with the project!

No longer a community member.

That is badass.

I can just imagine waking up in the morning, clipping a cigar and then trimming my stache.

Sounds like a good way to start the morning and a good excuse to have a cigar.

That's good to hear.
    FYI if you remove the patina on the cutter it will pretty much lose its value from what I know about antiques. Maybe you should look into professional restoration so they won't make any mistakes when restoring.

Good luck with the project!
    I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about antiques So thanks for the warning but could care less about the monetary value of these because I am never getting rid of them but i will be asking around for help restoring them because I have never tried to restore anything except for cars.

I will be the first to say that I don't know anything about antiques So thanks for the warning but could care less about the monetary value of these because I am never getting rid of them but i will be asking around for help restoring them because I have never tried to restore anything except for cars.
    I just wanted to give you a heads up before you did anything. Thus you could never say no one didn't warn you!

I just wanted to give you a heads up before you did anything. Thus you could never say no one didn't warn you!
    Lol yeah you are right about that. and sorry after reading my last post i was like "wow I sounded like an ass"

Restore them?!?!?!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

They look BAD ASS as they are and you can tell they have history.

Just a little oil and maybe a touch of steel wool MAYBE would be all that you should do.

Lol yeah you are right about that. and sorry after reading my last post i was like "wow I sounded like an ass"
    Nah you didn't. I knew where you were coming from!

Puffer Fish with some spikes irie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Restore them?!?!?!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

Just a little oil and maybe a touch of steel wool MAYBE would be all that you should do.
    either restore them or dont but for the love of god do not take any steel wool to them.

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    either restore them or dont but for the love of god do not take any steel wool to them.
    No steel wool?

Restore them?!?!?!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

I would not steel wool your object. It causes tiny steel particles to be caught in the object, which then will rust. I know some professionals use them, but since this item has personal value I would not risk it. All steel wool does is scratch your object, even if it is super fine. The scratches are just less noticeable.

I would seek professional help and avoid any mishaps.

No steel wool?
    No. Steel wool is not the preferred medium in cleaning old metal from what my dad tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by irie View Post
    Wow Glad you said something because of my lack of experience my first thought was "I need to go get some steel wool" but I am looking for any advice

Restore them?!?!?!

DON'T DO THAT!!!

You are Probably right about not restoring them. They do have a lot of history behind them. My Great Grandfather was the assistant to General Omar Bradley. but I was kinda hoping for them to be fully functional and shiny but maybe just keep them in a shadow box or something.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast