Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Building my dream. "Humidor"

This is a discussion on Building my dream. "Humidor" within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by Jpickett Attachment 84420 I Have been a carpenter and cabinet builder for over 15 years and that ...

Re: Building my dream. "Humidor"

Quote Originally Posted by Jpickett View Post
    I Have been a carpenter and cabinet builder for over 15 years and that came out very nice. great work.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    I know you said your not a Carpenter. I am a master Carpenter and i think you did a great job!
    R/G for you sir!
    I agree with Tony it does not look like a novice build! I wish I had an ounce of the talent you guys have I would certainly build an exotic cabinet.

Thanks to all for the kind compliments. I can assure you that I'm not a professional. Just a perfectionist. One who loves to use his hands. Dan it is an ongoing thread to say. Tj yes it is going to be lined with 1/8 Spanish cedar. I found a great supplier who custom cut each piece for this project. Non seam where I didn't want one.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    I agree with Tony it does not look like a novice build! I wish I had an ounce of the talent you guys have I would certainly build an exotic cabinet.
    This may be true but you are the most interesting man in the world!
    "Stay thirsty my friend"
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Thirsty I am. Thirsty for a new bottle of bourbon. Moving on. Glass was the next chapter. I ordered a 3/16 tempered piece of glass for the door. In the door frame I milled out a 1/2 mortise on the inside of the frame. This allowed me to run a bead of silicone around the frame to seal the glass. Once that had sat I installed a oak nail strip to the back side of the glass. Thus hiding the silicone and adding a finished edge. While I was doing the glass work I had my cedar resting in a cooler. Why a cooler you ask. Well I was bringing it up to the proper RH. I wanted to fit all the pieces into place with them swollen. This would eliminate and bucking of the wood when it was humidified. Man this is alot of work. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jpickett; 03-13-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Pic of the joinery Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Damn! What else is there to say about that.

That belongs in a museum! ProjectSunfire's Avatar

you went from a desktop to this? well played sir
    Last edited by ProjectSunfire; 03-13-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Haha. I dunno. Because this is around the time my wife stepped out into the garage and said. "Damn Joshua. Do you really think you need on that big?" I grinned and lit up a cigar. She rolled her eyes and went back inside. She hates cigar smoke.

I began to think. How am I going to humidify this behemoth? I just knew that the Oasis XL Plus I had was out of the question. The few qualifications that this system had to have was....electronic..set it and know its exactly on what it's set on and capicity to humidify a room if need be. Well luck be a lady I actually found a digital humidity controller on ebay. Get this for a whole $20. Roll the dice. Next. What's this controller going to control. Plastic bucket with a fan on it was the first idea. But I couldn't just do that. Time to call back on my acrylic build skills. Okay I own an custom acrylic company. So this is a small black fish tank with a fan on it. No need for a humidifier wick. They grow nasties on them. Out of respect I am not gonna show completed pics of the humidifier. It's a lot like a mass produced unit. Trust me enough is changed to not cause patent infringement issues. Pic of acrylic on strip bender. Not to code n any way. So don't make one. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jpickett View Post
    Pic of the joinery Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	84435
    The last time a saw a joint that nice was in a Cheech & Chong movie!

Full grown Puffer Fish Ricardo-'s Avatar

Very nice work. What are you planning for the door seal?

I'm going to use 1/2 x 1/4" brown foam weather strip for the door seal

Okay. So the doors constructed and sealed with foam. Security was the next task. Last thing I wanted to find was my two yr old eating cigars or stuck inside this box. A lock is in order. Just a regular cabinet lock was set. Boring isn't it. Now onto what these cigars are gonna be sleeping on. I know what your thinking. A shelf stupid. I was thinking the same thing. BUT...I'm still wanting that wow factor. I decided to work on two sliding shelves. These shelves would have bins built in them to hold loose cigars. Above these shelves I wanted one solid shelf to place cutters lighters, and other cool tobacco related swag. This was the end result. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg
    Last edited by Jpickett; 03-15-2014 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Stupid photos won't load

Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Puffer Fish with some spikes tjhemp's Avatar

Amazing build. I'm jealous of the humidor and the talent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast