Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Building my dream. "Humidor"

This is a discussion on Building my dream. "Humidor" within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Are you sure you're not a carpenter? I will not covet Joshua's humidor. I will not covet Joshua's humidor. I ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes gtechva's Avatar

Re: Building my dream. "Humidor"

Are you sure you're not a carpenter?

I will not covet Joshua's humidor. I will not covet Joshua's humidor. I will not covet Joshua's humidor.

That's better.

Kidding a side, very nice.

Not a carpenter my ass! That thing is majestic. Very well done sir.

Thanks for all the kind words. I just wanted to document this to see what others thought of it. As well as show the process I went through to make the humidor. I can assure you I am not a carpenter. The only tools I used on this build is a table saw, miter saw, and a router table...drills p, caulk guns etc. I have to admit I am a protectionist. On my deck I measured the spacing of the flooring screws.... The last woodworking project I did I used Popsicle sticks and Elmer's glue. I just love using my hands. Anyone know why the pics are not showing up on my iPad. They show up on my phone. FYI if they r not showing up let me know. My last two post had pics in them pls tell me.

Oh and if you want to know. I own and operate a grounds keeping company. Nothing like carpentry

Quote Originally Posted by Jpickett View Post
    My last two post had pics in them pls tell me.
    Yes your last two post had photos and they are very beautiful! Very well thought out. Thanks for sharing!!

Newbie in the ocean

That is one slick piece sir. You should enter it in the KYstate fair they have a woodworking section with a few humidor's every year and that would blow away the entries I've seen lately.

Of course the downside is you wouldn't have it to store sticks for a few weeks.

Thank you James. I've never looked at that part of the fair. Do they have any larger humidors? or are they all smaller desktop size? With the number of cigars in it combigned with the weight of this piece there's no way I'm moving it. Would be cool to show it off a bit. But this forum is a lot safer than moving it.

Well I finally got the top three shelves installed to a spec that I liked. Now I needed a classy way to store boxes of cigars. I was presented with a unique problem. I was out of wood. Out of the 1/8" cedar. Out of the ply. That didn't bother me much because I didn't want thick shelves anyway. Looking around the garage I had a single piece of 1" oak. Then it hit me. I accidentally ordered 1/4" cedar in the beginning of this project. It wasn't enough to line the humidor. Problem solved. I decided to make two slat shelves. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Newbie in the ocean

Desktops, and chest mainly.

Finished product looks awesome, can't wait to see it all filled up. What was your total cost for materials?

She ain't done David. I know what your thinking. What else is there?

Ill tell you the total. But later. I'd like to hear some cost guess from y'all. I will tell you I have close to 150 hrs in this build. But that's a few cigars and ALOT of bourbon. Smoke in my eyes slowed me down.

Just an amazing build, period.

Congratulations on having an entirely personal and one of a kind humidor for your sticks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpickett View Post
    She ain't done David. I know what your thinking. What else is there?

Ill tell you the total. But later. I'd like to hear some cost guess from y'all. I will tell you I have close to 150 hrs in this build. But that's a few cigars and ALOT of bourbon. Smoke in my eyes slowed me down.
    I did not even ask about labor, cause I know if you had to add that to the total it would have been cheaper to have one of the big guys build you a custom unit. But regardless of the time investment you have something you built with your own two hands and can be proud of for the rest of your life, and you have a lot of leftover cash to fill it! I'll take a stab at a cost for the wood, cedar, glass, stain, metal at $325.

Thomas nthanks for informing me on the status of the photos. Wow. You got really close. I have right at $450 in the entire build project. Your absolutely correct about the leftover funds. I looked at aristrocrat humidors. None felt like me and the price hurt real bad. They have amazing products that for sure. Way better than anything I can build.

Well back to the fun part. I hooked up the electronics in the humidor and got the thing seasoned. That wasn't a real concern. Crazy statement isn't that. But I felt that with such a huge humidifier in this thing it wouldn't take long. I have a moisture meter and had been watching the wood along the build process. Our outside humidity was now avg in the 60's. KY is humid this time of yr. Resting the humidor was at the mid 50's. I installed two 60mm fans on the rear blowing up. This was away from the moisture and temp sensors in the rear. In the pics following don't pay attention to the LED read outs values. Either the door had just been shut. The RH stays at a what ever degree you set it at. I did have a hard time adjusting the sensor to neutral. The instructions for the controller were translated rather oddly. I finally found some REAL English instructions and had it adjusted within a minute. Along the verticle parts of the inside door frame I installed warm white LED strips. These are wired to a door switch so that your not blinded when you open the door. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpgBuilding my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

As you can see the humidor didn't have that old tobacco shop feel. So with some help from a friend who just so happens to own a graphics company. Well we added that feel. So with great appreciation to all your kind compliments and encouraging words. Here is my little tobacco shop. The P logo on the bottom is the logo for my company. Just felt right. I mean. The top of that P is a leaf.

Puffer Fish with many spikes gtechva's Avatar

Wow...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast