Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Building my dream. "Humidor"

This is a discussion on Building my dream. "Humidor" within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Lets face it. We all have came upon a time when we needed more space for our stuff. Stuff being ...

Building my dream. "Humidor"

Lets face it. We all have came upon a time when we needed more space for our stuff. Stuff being just plane ole stuff, all the way up to our family needing more space. Well that time has came for my cigars. I made sure all the wife and kiddos stuff had a brand new house to play in. We were moving anyway. New baby on the horizon meant we needed a much larger house. That said .....the wife could not have anything to say about my building a humidor. Now I was currently using a desktop humidor and it sucked. Good lesson. Price is NOT always indicative of quality when it comes to humidors.

The quest...I wanted my dream. Sit back and think of your dream humidor. Well that ones out of the question. I cannot have a walk in humidor with a smoking area. New baby in the house remember. Moving on. What did I need. Space. Some classy space at that. I didn't want just a box. I wanted one to resemble a store front. You know. Fill it up get a chair and have a conversation with fellow BOTL around it.

So it began. I had no plan just an idea of the size. Don't all good things begin this way. I knew one thing. It was either gonna turn out one of two ways. Great or my wife saying something like this "I told you that WE didn't need a new humidor!" Why do they always say WE? I digress.

Lowes trip and a few hrs later I have thisBuilding my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Re: Building my dream. "Humidor"

Looks like a good start

Having a hard time uploading photos

Thank I'm not gonna lie. Three kids in my house. That actually took me a week to build. I built the bulk of the box out of 3/4" furniture grade birch plywood. The base trim is white oak and the crown is run of the mill crown. I am not a carpenter and crown is hard enough to do. Im not gonna waste funds on expensive trim. Now looking at this monster my son got inside of it, i thought hey I have a walk in! A very leaky one at that. So the hardest part of the build. A door! Like I said. I want this to look like a store front. I decided to build a solid pane glass door. This door was gonna be incredibly heavy. I used three euro hinges to attach the frame to the body of the humidor. The frame of the door is made of white oak for linear strength.
    Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg
    Last edited by Jpickett; 03-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.

I can't wait to see how this comes out.
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Looks like you're well on your way to a beautiful/functional piece of furniture there!

And the fact that you're building it yourself will be extremely gratifying once done!
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Alpha Puffer Fish Cigar-Enthusiast's Avatar

Good luck with the build! It's coming out great so far.

Thanks for all the compliments. It very satisfying to do a project like this with your own hands. Especially a humidor. They almost take on a life of their own. The next part was the only part that I asked my wife's input on. Not that I was rude but she really didn't care about the construction of it. I wanted her to pick the shade of stain. If this things is going in the dining room then it better match the rest of the furniture. My friends that's not a decision I wanted to hear about for the rest of my days if it was the wrong color. The exterior of the cabinet was finished in red mahogany minwax stain. I applied 5 coats of stain sanding with 12000 grit between each application. Both sides of the door frame were stained. I didn't feel that this small amount of stain on the inside would affect the humidor in any way. Once the stain had cured I applied 6 coats of arm r seal. Sanding between each coat as well. Building my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpgBuilding my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpgBuilding my dream. "Humidor"-image.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images  

Not actually a fish. danmdevries's Avatar

Oh wow. First post I thought this was going to be an ongoing thread.

That cabinet looks amazing!

Excellent job!

Young Fish

looks great

TJB

Going to line that thing with spanish cedar right? It looks really nice so far good job.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpickett View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	84420
    I know you said your not a Carpenter. I am a master Carpenter and i think you did a great job!
    R/G for you sir!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Off to Cigar bum. com jhedrick83's Avatar

Looks awesome!
    Head over to cigar bum . com for a good non profit cigar forum!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast