Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Tupperdor question, Iris watertight?

This is a discussion on Tupperdor question, Iris watertight? within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So I've been thinking of building a Tupperdor because my humidor is toast, and I've found the Iris 46.6qt watertight ...

Newbie in the ocean

Tupperdor question, Iris watertight?

So I've been thinking of building a Tupperdor because my humidor is toast, and I've found the Iris 46.6qt watertight container. It uses one of those rubber gasket seals, and seems like it'd be a pretty good tupperdor.

Anybody use one of these? I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Tupperdor question, Iris watertight?

well anything that's water tight is also air tight so i guess its okay.
    What's up with the pricing gotta be a typo Ace wants over $100 everyone else is around $15.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Iris...-a&channel=rcs
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish

I have a 20qt gasket seal tupperdor that works like a champ. im sure that would do well also. that gasket seal helps a lot IMO. just get some wood boxes from your local b&m to help hold the rH until u fill it up.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    What's up with the pricing gotta be a typo Ace wants over $100 everyone else is around $15.
    The one at Ace is a 6-pack of the 46.6qt containers.

Quote Originally Posted by teckneekz View Post
    I have a 20qt gasket seal tupperdor that works like a champ. im sure that would do well also. that gasket seal helps a lot IMO. just get some wood boxes from your local b&m to help hold the rH until u fill it up.
    I already have cedar trays from my 'humidor and some dividers that I can use to hold humidity.

Anything with the built in seal (be it foam or rubber) will work perfectly I think. Just make sure of the size, don't want to go too small.Don't want to end up having to get multiple. They can fill up pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Iris...-a&channel=rcs
    The ones at Ace are listed as a 6 pack of the totes.

Newbie in the ocean

Alright sounds good, I'll go ahead and order one. It's not the biggest container.. just enough for a few cedar trays and some boxes, but they're cheap enough that I could stand to have multiple.

Full grown Puffer Fish

would you rather invest in a coolidor vs the tupperdor of that size? might be more beneficial to you later down the road maybe?

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by teckneekz View Post
    would you rather invest in a coolidor vs the tupperdor of that size? might be more beneficial to you later down the road maybe?
    If they're really the same size, what difference would it make?

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Being from Minnesota I have large temperature swings daily (up to 13 degrees mid winter). The coolidor would keep the temp much more stable than the tupperdor does. If your home stays a constant temperature I would not see that this would be a particularly important issue for you.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by SOHResident View Post
    Being from Minnesota I have large temperature swings daily (up to 13 degrees mid winter). The coolidor would keep the temp much more stable than the tupperdor does. If your home stays a constant temperature I would not see that this would be a particularly important issue for you.
    My house pretty much stays at 72*F all year round, whether it's being heated or it's being cooled.

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Then providing the seal on the Iris truly is airtight I am not sure why you would pay more for the same amount of storage space. Someone more experienced might be able to provide you some reasons to go with the coolidor.

Removed per request

I use a Sterilite with snap-handle seals, place a little cedar wood in the bottom, and drop in a Boveda pack 69%. It works for 25 to 50 cigars and cost less than $20.