Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cabinet to Humidor Project Reboot(New Cabinet)

This is a discussion on Cabinet to Humidor Project Reboot(New Cabinet) within the Cigar Accessory Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So I decided to scrap the plans on converting the old cabinet. It was going to be to hard to ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Whiskey's Avatar

Cabinet to Humidor Project Reboot(New Cabinet)

So I decided to scrap the plans on converting the old cabinet. It was going to be to hard to seal up the doors with the way the cabinet was designed. I figured I would make a clean thread instead of continuing the old one. Found the new one on Craigs List and got it for $150.

Interior dimensions are 23"W x 14"D x 57"T . 18,354 cubic inches or 10.6 cubic feet of space.

Questions:
    • For a cabinet this size do I have to go active? Avallo or Hydra-LG from Heartfelt? Or can I use beads, I currently have 2lbs and according to the calculator 3lbs would do it. Then maybe add a computer fan for circulation?
    • With a cabinet this size could does the entire inside need to be lined in spanish cedar? Could I do the walls in something like a veneered plywood(Baltic Birch or do I need to attempt to veneer something with spanish cedar since I can't find it already done?) Then trim everything with 3/8" cedar and do the shelves in cedar? I just am worried about too much cedar and everything I smoke smelling like I am smoking a plank of sc.
    • If I did the walls in something other than cedar I would assume there would still be plenty of cedar in the cabinet with the shelves and trim?
    • GE kitchen and bath 100% silicon good to go?
    • If I am freezing all of my cigars before they enter the humidor, and keep the humidity at 65% how important is it to keep the temp below 70 degrees? My current cooler is stable and stays between 73-75 during the summer, and 69-71 during the winter but without going to a cooling option there is really no way for me to keep them under 70 degrees during the summer due to the Texas heat.

I have sourced my cedar from Woodcraft and am currently just waiting for it to ship(3/8" x 3 x 36") is back ordered at the moment. The cabinet is from craigs list. I plan on installing a 3-4 strips of LED lights after I remove the current light at the top of the cabinet. I will post which one I go with. The cabinet had 6 wine bottle shelves(not counting the one on the bottom) and a rack for glasses at the top. I am going to go for 7 shelves I think with plenty of room on the top and bottom for boxes.

I will update as I move forward. Just a waiting game on the cedar right now.

wine racks removed.
    Last edited by Whiskey; 06-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Re: Cabinet to Humidor Project Reboot(New Cabinet)

Don't have the answers to your questions, just wanted to say that is a nice looking cabinet to start with and I'm interested to see how this goes. Are you going to leave the finish the way it is?

On the outside yes. I don't see any reason in changing the finish on the inside since it will be lined anyway so you won't be able to see any of it.

I think it looks good as is. With the inside being natural wood should be a nice contrast

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Brad...what a sweet find & deal! That looks sharp! I can see how this cabinet will be better than the previous one...in all sorts of ways! Congrats on the deal!

On to some of your questions...

Knowing the specific area you are in...I'd say that beads are all that you need. I think with this size and our humidity...you'll be just fine. However do circulate the air, a few small PC fans is about all you'll need.

As far as lining the inside, really...if you're building shelves and such out of SC, then you should be able to "finish" it any way you want. All SC would be nice...and possibly best, but at what cost? And, you can never have too much SC in there...the cigar will only take in so much. It's no different than one that wrapped in a thin slice of cedar.

If you're keeping this in the house (climate controlled)...you should be just fine on temp. I'd just watch it over time...but with good airflow (from the PC fans) and the beads...you'll be fine where you live.

All that, JMHO!

Looking forward to following your project!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Puffer Fish with some spikes baust55's Avatar

do some searches on kitty litter beads . thrifty work good .

Since you are going to have moisture and cigars in there, I know it will be a pain, but I highly recommend stripping the finish off the inside. Your cedar won't be airtight and there's a likelihood that once humidity is introduced you'll get odor seepage from the paint/stain into your cigars.

I was planning on lining the interior with some reflective insulation and attempting to seal it as best as possible with foil tape and silicone. Do you think it would still be wise to sand down the finish on the interior?

Here is an example of what I was planning on using.

If that creates a vapor barrier (and doesn't have its own odor...) you'll be fine.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Well I think I'd put 1 of those bottle racks back in near the top and use it as a gun case.
    The drawer at the bottom is for bullets and magazines.

Failing that, I'd hole saw a pattern in the floor of the cabinet and fill the drawer below with Kitty Litter for your humidification.... maybe with one bigger hole strategically placed for a muffin fan to move the air around... you could even connect the fan to a duct of some sort so as to direct the airflow to the top of the cabinet, making a nice loop for the air to circulate.
    there is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of men

Haha, don't think I will be using it as a gun case, that's what gun safes are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor_Perfecto View Post
    Since you are going to have moisture and cigars in there, I know it will be a pain, but I highly recommend stripping the finish off the inside. Your cedar won't be airtight and there's a likelihood that once humidity is introduced you'll get odor seepage from the paint/stain into your cigars.
    Just went out into the garage and test sanded a spot on the inside and what I thought was paint is actually a black laminate of some sort as far as I can tell. Oh well, I am going to line it all anyway with the foil insulation and then line it with sc.

Small update(waiting on $80 of more spanish cedar )

I ended up sanding the interior to get rid of the finish that was there. I then lined it was a thin layer of foil type insulation and sealed everything with silicon and foil tape. I have also lined the interior with a layer of baltic birch as I think I am going to go with a paneled look inside(if that doesn't look good I will just line the entire thing). It looks like I am going to be able to have 6 decent sized shelves which will all be made out of 3/8" cedar planks. All of the trim and raised portion of the panels will be 3/8" spanish cedar. It already smells amazing with just part of it in spanish cedar and no shelves. The frame/seal part was made out of 3/4" spanish cedar ripped into strips to make a seal with screws counter sunk which will be covered by a spanish cedar strip. It already has a decent seal but I am going to put a small strip weather stripping around the seal on the door(black door and black seal so it won't be very noticeable) to make sure I have minimal leaks, especially on the hinge side.

I was short a few pieces of cedar so I am waiting on that to arrive and I should be able to finish the trim pieces and the rest of the cedar as well as install all the shelves. I will post the hopefully completed and seasoning in progress pictures once the rest of my cedar arrives. All of my shelf pieces are cut and ready to go so it shouldn't take that long.

Additional information:

I insulated it in case I want to add a TEC at some point. I already have the spot ready for it and cut out at the top of the cabinet(where a light used to be), so all I will have to do is cut through the birch plywood and install. For now I am going to see how it works with 4 pounds of beads(since I already have 2) and a couple of 120mm case fans on low speed. Lighting is going to be a couple of LED strips I think mounted on the under side of a couple of the shelves. I will make the final decision on that once the shelves are installed.

Once all the cedar is installed I will do the final sanding of rough areas, etc. I am sanding everything before install.

Finally just about finished. Now I only need to install my fans and led strip which I hope to get done this week. It's in the seasoning process now.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Very Nice!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast