Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smoke-proof a room

This is a discussion on Smoke-proof a room within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; Anyone ever smoke proofed a room before? I'm not talking about a walk-in humidor, just a room in which to ...

Young Puffer Fish

Smoke-proof a room

Anyone ever smoke proofed a room before? I'm not talking about a walk-in humidor, just a room in which to smoke. I have a home office I'd like to smoke in. I've heard of people putting up plastic behind the drywall to keep the smoke from getting to the rest of the house. If there was an easier way, a way that didn't involve tearing up my office, I'd be pretty happy. Anyone have any experience?

Leading Puffer Fish BeerAdvocate-cl's Avatar

Good post. Im curious about this too. Cant wait for some replies.....

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

this will be an interesting thread

Other Other White Meat Rowdymon's Avatar

I think the biggest problem is actually the AC system. The duct work will carry the smoke everywhere in the house...

I don't think it's possible to smoke proof a room without taking it off the central AC grid and replacing it with a window unit...

My plan is to do just that and install a exterior vent fan on a timer to evacuate the room when I leave...

Then again, that was before I spent renovation money on spinal surgery for a cocker spaniel...lol
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

I'm thinking about adding a smoke room in the garage so would be interested in the feedback also. Mine will have lots of ventilation because the love shack is right above the garage.

Young Puffer Fish

I have a window, so taking the room of the ac grid would not be a problem. However, the smoke could still get out since the room is not air tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdymon View Post
    I think the biggest problem is actually the AC system. The duct work will carry the smoke everywhere in the house...

I don't think it's possible to smoke proof a room without taking it off the central AC grid and replacing it with a window unit...

My plan is to do just that and install a exterior vent fan on a timer to evacuate the room when I leave...

Then again, that was before I spent renovation money on spinal surgery for a cocker spaniel...lol

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I'd have to agree that the AC system is probably the biggest problem. Classyndry is right though, the room is not airtight. However, I think if you had some exterior ventilation going when you were smoking (i.e., open window), the "leakage" would be minimal. I'd think the biggest loss of smoke would be around the door and I really don't think it would be significant if the door was fairly snug to begin with.

Maybe add an ionizer/ozone based air cleaner to combat any loss?

No longer a community member.

Here is my 2 cents. Take out anything that is porous, i.e. no carpet, not cloth seating, no rugs. Then paint the walls with a heavy latex paint to prevent the smoke from entering into the walls. If a bathroom paint can prevent water damage, it should work for smoke as well. I don't agree with the AC system unless you have a cold air return pipe in the room. To seal of the door, try one of those door stoppers to prevent cold air from getting into a house. I have never done this because my wife would kill me, but I have thought about it.

I have tile,leather furniture and bamboo curtains, ive had numerouse herfs in my house, over 20 people at one time all smoking, the next day a few came over to hang out and were flippen out that there was no smoke smell at all in the house...for an office I would try a few ionic breezes and a couple smoke eater candles.
    The only rights you have are the rights to the Jaw..

Leading Puffer Fish BeerAdvocate-cl's Avatar

Bully, you should post a pic. I would like to see what it looks like

Other Other White Meat Rowdymon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Classyndry View Post
    I have a window, so taking the room of the ac grid would not be a problem. However, the smoke could still get out since the room is not air tight.
    well without some serious work no room is 100% air tight, but you can do things to make it mostly so...

As a note on the AC system, when the AC is blowing into the room the air has to go somewhere, even without a return the air will find ways to escape into the house...thus pissing off the Significant other...when the AC is NOT blowing, it's a straight shot to other rooms in the house.

The smoke will take the easiest exit from the room, so provide it one. You can use a combination of air filters, sprays and candles to help keep the smoke down, or vent it straight outside, at the same time you have to do what you can to prevent leakage between sheetrock and the door...

I would paint the room with exterior killz, then paint the room with exterior paint...this will quite literally seal the walls against elements...

Then the door, you need a door that fits tight to the frame, weather stripping and floor seals to create a barrier between the house and the smoking room...

At the same time, you are going to want tile, laminate or wood flooring and leather or genuine Naugahyde pleathers to avoid giving the smoke a place to seep into.

That's all without tearing out the walls and creating a complete barrier between your smoking room and the rest of the house...but it won't be perfect...you will get some leakage..
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes azpostal's Avatar

Man this is very interesting..I'd like to do this too, always to hot here in the summer

this is the new house, its still a little barren but the smoke room is tile and leather chairs and wood curtains, the rest of the house is all tile,wood and leather
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoke-proof a room-s6300418.jpg   Smoke-proof a room-s6300417.jpg   Smoke-proof a room-s6300419.jpg   Smoke-proof a room-s6300420.jpg   Smoke-proof a room-s6300421.jpg  

Very very nice Joe,Someone is envious over here!good looking pad! is there a pool in the back?
    Thats just how it is now deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by paint View Post
    Very very nice Joe,Someone is envious over here!good looking pad! is there a pool in the back?
    thx Mike, no pool at this house, my other house has a pool..http://www.cigarlive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6922, it sits on a corner has lots of yard space, the new house is all house and no yard, wich is fine by me, less work to maintane it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast