Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Gel vs. Beads for Humidification

This is a discussion on Gel vs. Beads for Humidification within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; I recently purchased a jar of the "Humi-Gel" at my local B&M to use in my humidor. Based on other ...

Gel vs. Beads for Humidification

I recently purchased a jar of the "Humi-Gel" at my local B&M to use in my humidor. Based on other posts it appears the Heartfelt beads are preferred by almost everyone. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Advice?

Re: Gel vs. Beads for Humidification

Quote Originally Posted by TN22 View Post
    I recently purchased a jar of the "Humi-Gel" at my local B&M to use in my humidor. Based on other posts it appears the Heartfelt beads are preferred by almost everyone. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? Advice?
    I'm using this in my tupperdor right now and it seems to be holding okay at about 68%. I've also heard that beads are the way to go but the gel works for now.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Plato

Thanks Trev. Glad to know it works for others too.

www.teamslowpitch.com RobustBrad's Avatar

You'll want bead eventually, in my opinion and experience. They are very low maintenance and control the humidity dead on.
    TEAM Slow Pitch - Softball Forums
    www.teamslowpitch.com

Been there,,,,done that

Save yourself time and agrivation,,,get the beads

You may get away with the Gel in the winter,,,,but get the beads
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

JGD

I've used the gel, and now I'm using the beads. The gel works well. I like the beads more because, they don;t need to be recharged as much, and in bulk they cost less. When you start to get more and more cigars and a bigger humi, or multiple humis, you'll see that getting enough gel tubes that are necessary will get costly. However, you can get 2 lbs of beads for 30ish bucks.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish pitbulljimmy's Avatar

I use Gel in one of my Humis, and have never had a problem with it. My other Humi I use the sponge puck that came with it, and have never had a problem with that either. I have beads in the coolerdor, also never had a problem with them either. The gel and the beads both require less attention than the sponge, but maintaining my system is sorta fun for me anyways.

Disinterested

I have one gel container in one location in one humi. It's surrounded by armed beads. If it doesn't perform, they will blow it to smithereens.

Geez, I need a haircut scottwpreston's Avatar

I just switched 3 Humidors, 5 Pelican Cases and my Coolidor over to Heartfelt Beads. I have been checking them multiple times (like about 8!) everyday, they are holding perfect...so now I need to start smoking and/or drinking more to use up all the free time on my hands! They might just work way too well!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes SureShot81's Avatar

I only have experience with the gel humidifiers Xikar makes. Never really had a problem with them, but now that I have a larger humidor, I am considering trying some beeds.

Time to pony up and start a Coolidor with some beads!

Full grown Puffer Fish Wild 7EVEN's Avatar

I have seen a gel jar get mold in it, like straight from the B&M before it was even used. Scary to me.

I personally have never had a problem with the couple drymistat tubes I have, but they are in a humi that also has beads in it. I keep em to give away when I gift someone a small humi. The one I gave my dad also no problems, it does his 20 ct fine.

For my money its the beads, I get an empty 2oz tube for like three bucks, put some of my extra beads in it and i got a tube that will humidify twice as many sticks and last 10+ years or forever, so its like a one time cost.

I do think that the pre-filled discs and tubes from heartfelt are overpriced though. When I first got a humi I bought one for 20 bucks, and I could have made something similar myself if I had bought bulk beads.

Puffer Fish with some spikes friz's Avatar

One humidor I have xikar gel and the other heartfelt. Both have worked great

OK, I switched from Gel to RH Beads 65. My digital meter was reading 60% with the Gel, 24 hours later with the Beads and it is reading 75%. Should I be concerned? Or, should I just wait a little longer? Since I am asking NOOB questions....what is the ideal temperature inside the coolerdoor?

It takes some time for the beads to stabilize since the give and receive moisture. Give it time. Remember, the is no such thing as to much beads.
    Make sure you have the proper amount and keep the 60-60 % clear.

I like to keep the temp in my cooler and hummies at 65-70.
    An "oath" has no expiration date......