Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tri vs Single Flame lighters??

This is a discussion on Tri vs Single Flame lighters?? within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; so I am new to the cigar world. I picked up 2 ronson jet lites. They have both worked like ...

Newbie in the ocean

Tri vs Single Flame lighters??

so I am new to the cigar world. I picked up 2 ronson jet lites. They have both worked like a charm for the last few weeks. Anyway, last saturday my brother-in-law saw me using it and said it was a single flame and that I should get a tri flame lighter. I didn't ask him any questions about it.

What is the difference? what is the benefit? etc...

can someone help me out or point me to some links?

thanks!

Re: Tri vs Single Flame lighters??

Good choice with the Ronson. I have to say I have a nice Xikar single flame torch and am extremely happy with it as it is very reliable.

To me, the biggest difference is that a tri flame will light a cigar a lot faster but will also burn through fuel 3 times as fast.

I personally like to take my time when lighting a cigar so that is why I went with the single flame. To me, it is all about personal preference.

Welcome to Puff!!
    Life is like a jar of Jalapeno peppers; What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Good choice with the Ronson. I have to say I have a nice Xikar single flame torch and am extremely happy with it as it is very reliable.

To me, the biggest difference is that a tri flame will light a cigar a lot faster but will also burn through fuel 3 times as fast.

I personally like to take my time when lighting a cigar so that is why I went with the single flame. To me, it is all about personal preference.

Welcome to Puff!!

that's what i thought. I figure I'd be three times as prone to burning the tobacco with the tri flame...

I'll stick with my single flame for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by UCLAJediKnight View Post
    Anyway, last saturday my brother-in-law saw me using it and said it was a single flame and that I should get a tri flame lighter. I didn't ask him any questions about it.

What is the difference? what is the benefit? etc...
    I keep a single flame Colibri. Three flames will light a cigar more quickly but I am concerned that it is easier to scorch the tobacco with a tri-flame, as well. For this reason I use a single flame, turn the flame fairly low, and make sure to never let the flame touch the cigar.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Scardinoz View Post
    I keep a single flame Colibri. Three flames will light a cigar more quickly but I am concerned that it is easier to scorch the tobacco with a tri-flame, as well. For this reason I use a single flame, turn the flame fairly low, and make sure to never let the flame touch the cigar.
    haha that's just what i was thinking

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

Welcome to Puff!!
    Agree with this. Unless you have stock in butane fuel I'd stay with a single flame for sheer savings and not welding your cigar. I rarely use the 5 triple flame lighters I have around. I once almost flamed some poor lady on a cruise ship years ago who needed a light and I forgot I had my triple flame adjustment all the way up. Nearly burned up the entire cigarette she was smoking. Ha ha ha
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Young Puffer Fish

I think multi-flame lighters are more useful for lighting larger cigars quickly, but I like to have a single flame torch for evening up the burn & relighting because they don't burn up as much of the wrapper.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Vic81's Avatar

I use a single flame, but when at the local B&M use a triple. All told I prefer a triple, but haven't purchased one yet

I've been tempted by three flames and five flames, but really one torch flame lights tobacco plenty quickly.

That being said, I definitely am thinking about picking up an Alec Bradley The Burner.
    http://twitter.com/charlieminato
    editor, halfwheel.com

Full grown Puffer Fish GentlemanJester's Avatar

Unless you have a large ring guage... Then three flames is just overkill, and it is a whole lot easier to mess up a cigar with the tri-flames. I'll never buy another tri-flame again, and would only use one again if I had to.
    Be it a Opus X or a Swisher Sweet, if you like it, smoke it. Cause it's all about the ride!

Puffer Fish with some spikes metinemre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thegoldenmackid View Post
    I've been tempted by three flames and five flames, but really one torch flame lights tobacco plenty quickly.

That being said, I definitely am thinking about picking up an Alec Bradley The Burner.
    I had no idea how that lighter looked. Now i know you guys are talking about a portable camping stove

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by metinemre View Post
    I had no idea how that lighter looked. Now i know you guys are talking about a portable camping stove
    LOL it does kinda resemble a Coleman camp stove!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I like a four flame Jetline...never a problem...all I need a lighter to do is fire up a cigar...I don't make a ritual of it, and I don't need to spend dozens or hundreds of dollars on a lighter. The job is simple. The tool is simple too. Spending twenty bucks on a lighter is about the max I'll go...same thing with a cutter... I smoke cigars to relax, not to make yet another structured activity out of it.

Having said that I have no problems with those who consider it a religious experience, but I only fire up two or three times a week at most...

Full grown Puffer Fish

I own a good Xikar single torch and a $10 Vertigo triple. I like the triple for lighting the cigar, much faster, but it is harder to control, and I much prefer the Xikar if I have to touch-up.

Lately I've been wondering if a twin flame might be the best of both.

I strongly prefer a single flame. A triple or quad flame really doesn't save me any time and they are all but useless for touching up. Bottom line, it's all personal preference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast