Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Drymistat vs Heartfelt tubes

This is a discussion on Drymistat vs Heartfelt tubes within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; Bought a used 100 ct. humi half filled with mostly unidentified unbandeds; brought it home and found the rh to ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Barefoot's Avatar

Drymistat vs Heartfelt tubes

Bought a used 100 ct. humi half filled with mostly unidentified unbandeds; brought it home and found the rh to be 53%. Tossed the sponge and added a shot glass of pg & a drymistat tube to try and bring the rh back. Don't know if I can salvage the gars but I need to purchase some new tubes to stabilize and maintain the new box.
    I use the 4 Drymistats in my current 100 ct and find they work fine with a full box but the rh falls as depleted. Very easy to maintain vs maybe a pita with the heartfelts?
    What is the benefit of the heartfelt tubes over the drymistats? I know the heartfelts are highly touted on this forum but I need to make a choice asap.
    Thanks for your opinions,

Puffer Fish with some spikes UGA07's Avatar

Re: Drymistat vs Heartfelt tubes

Depending on the room you have, the heartfelt beads are highly suggested by the BOTL's on this site. I use Drymistat tubes in my tupperdor's and they seem to work well with around 25 cigars. Every suggestion I have seen is to try and get more than is needed to make sure it can do the job. Hope this helps and I am sure those more knowledgeable will provide good advice.

Young Puffer Fish ScoobyLovesJazz's Avatar

From what I understand about the drymistat tubes (and I may be wrong because I have never used them, so feel free to correct me), they only put out mosture where Heartfelt beads will both absorb and release mosture as needed to maintain a desired RH%. From my own (short) experience with the Heartfelt beads and from what other BOTLs have said, the beads are pretty much idiot proof. You charge them (I misted mine) with distilled water and you are good to go (they just need an occasional recharge from time to time). There are many brothers on here that have been using beads for years with out issue (some are even confident enough in the beads not to use a hygrometer). I went with them be use they seemed like the lowest maintenance option for my humi. Just my .02

Elder Puffer Fish Leader jeepthing's Avatar

I used Drymist tubes for a long time. Went to Heartfelts this summer, best thing I could have done. The Drymist fluctuate to much. The Heartfelts stay a steady 65%. Nothing like a stick that has been sitting in the right atmosphere ready to be smoked
    Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!

Drymist tubes use crystals that are plastic polymer. The polymer absorbs water and releases, Drymist puts PG solution in the tubes to help contain it below 70RH. Beads are treated silica.

We can go into the science but... beads are more accurate. Beads are cured for a specific RH and the belief is that they are fairly accurate within that. Drymist is made to release as much water as it can up to 70%RH.

When Jeff says they fluctuate, he's referring to the fact that until 70, there is really no control, whereas beads are made to put out a specific RH.
    http://twitter.com/charlieminato
    editor, halfwheel.com

Well, I think I will try the Heartfelt tubes. Do I need the syringe to add dw to the tubes?
    2 or 3 med. tubes for 100 ct box - 825 cu in?
    I will be filling this humidor...
    2 5 Vegas Miami that need to be resurrected....
    Thanks,

Young Puffer Fish ScoobyLovesJazz's Avatar

When I charged my tubes I just used a spray bottle I picked up at walmart (they have empty ones in the cleaning aisle). I just made sure to wash it out thoroughly with dw before filling it with the dw I was going to use on the beads.

Heartfelt beads, beads and more beads.....can't go wrong!

Young Puffer Fish ChazHollywood's Avatar

Drymistat tubes only have ~2 year lifespan. Beads are said to last a lot longer (or not wear out at all).

-Charles

I use the Drymista tubes and have had no problems , but when they crap out Im defiantly going to the beads!!!!!!
    Support our troops.... Sgt. Smoke USMC....Semper Fi

I have a follow up question about the HF tubes...

When you order them, do they come with beads in them already? And can the beads be replaced/refilled?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Benaj85's Avatar

You can order them with or without beads.
    If you order them empty just order the beads in bulk.
    The caps are removable so you could replace them if you wanted to at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    I have a follow up question about the HF tubes...

When you order them, do they come with beads in them already? And can the beads be replaced/refilled?

Quote Originally Posted by Benaj85 View Post
    You can order them with or without beads.
    If you order them empty just order the beads in bulk.
    The caps are removable so you could replace them if you wanted to at some point.

Thanks. After reading your response, I went back to the site and found the link for empty tubes. Didn't see it before.

I bought 2 70% heartfelt tubes and sprayed them with distilled water - very hard to tell with the tubes when they are 75 % clear due to the casing. 6 hours later and the box is running 75%. Pulled them and will let the tubes dry a bit.........
    A bit of a learning curve to start I guess.

Puffer Fish with some spikes shotokun16's Avatar

ya. i think the 1/2lb 65% beads are a better buy than the tubes. The tubes are kinda overpriced due to its container. And the beads tend to break in the tubes causing a flaky mess.

In the future, buy 1/2lb beads and go to your local drugstore/99cents store and order a pair of nylon (i prefer light brown since it blends in with your cedar interior) stocking. The stocking contain the flaky mess and viewing your beads improve signficantly (since you can roll it around and spread it on your desk to see if there is a good number thats clear and white).

Anyways, like everyone said: "when you go beads you'll never go back!" I agree w/that statement. And: "they use beads to conserve mona lisa, van goh, and other priceless paintings" I can see why. These things are fanatically consistent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast