Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is this Mold?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Mold on Cigars and in the Humidor

5 41.67%
  • Yes Mold on Cigars but not in the Humidor

6 50.00%
  • There's no mold on the Cigar but in the Humidor

0 0%
  • No, there's no Mold on the Cigar nor in the Humidor

1 8.33%

Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?

This is a discussion on Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor? within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; Hi Guys, Sorry that I have to post such horrific photos as my first post on this site. I've recently ...

Young Puffer Fish

Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?

Hi Guys,

Sorry that I have to post such horrific photos as my first post on this site. I've recently moved to Hong Kong and my Aristocrat Mini ran out of space pretty quickly. So I went out and bought two desktops, one 75ct and the other 100ct. The Humies were purchased from the same shop, but one is a cheap house brand and the other is an Adorini. They looked like they've been sitting in a warehouse for quite some time. The instruction manual was a bit sticky and the color was coming off of one. (My common sense did not kick in at that moment so I bought the two Humies) I then moved my beloved OPUSXs that I've been aging for the PAST TEN YEARS!!!!! into the new humi. I went thru all the necessary steps of seasoning (2 weeks), found a nice closet with air conditioning to store them and I now found that a few of my OPUSXs that I've open the end of the cellophane, is growing mold!!!

I just wanted fellow puff veteran to see how bad this mold problem is.

1. I've already cut off an inch off of the end of the sticks (pls see attached photo) and you can still clearly see there's mold in the middle two sticks and the other two in the far right and left hopefully is okay.

Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-opusx-mold.jpg
    Q. Is this mold? What can I do now to save them?

Q. What should I do with the rest of the sticks that were in the same humidor? They are all still in the cellophane wrap. Should I take all the sticks out and clean the cigar and the cellophane wrap? Should I take all the sticks out and not use the cellophane?

2. I should have taken photos before of the humidors, but I've already wiped it down with alcohol. But there were no visible mold that I can see growing in the humidor. But as I looked closer, I see white material in the grain of the wood.

Q. Is that mold that are in the grain (please see photos)

Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-75ct-hinge-mold1.jpg Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-75ct-hinge-mold2.jpg Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-75ct-inside.jpg Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-75ct-outside-frame-mold.jpg

Attachment 54570 Attachment 54571 Attachment 54572 Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-adorini-inside-mold.jpg Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-adorini-left-hinge-mold.jpg

Q. How can I remove them?

Q. I've had these Humies for literally less than 3 weeks, do you guys think the mold was there before? I say that because I have another 150ct humi (I've had this for ten years now) and my Mini Aristocrat are also stored in the same closet. And I carefully examined both my old humi and the Mini, and I can't find any white material in the grain of the wood.

Would like to see what you guys think. I am going to return or exchange these if you guys think its mold that is in the humidors. You help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by stephen_bj; 03-03-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Not Here

Re: Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?

Definite mold on the cigars. You can try using a cutter and cutting off about 1/4 inch from the foot. If you still see mold then try a little further. If you see no mold you should be ok.

As far as the humidor goes, I can't say for certain but I would definitely err on the side of caution. You have said that you have wiped them down with alcohol already. You may want to wipe again and also set them out in the bright sunlight.
    BIA!!!

Young Puffer Fish

More photo of the Casulties...Is this MOLD on my Cigar and Humidor?-opusxmold-plume.jpg

i would say yes to mold on the sticks, never really seen it like that in the foot, uaually see it around the wrapper, i don't see mold in the humidors, but if you want to be safe clean it w/ everclear, you may try to wipe the mold off the cigars w/ alcohol wipe, i would also take em out of the cello and dump the cello, no need for a mold infested cello, hopefully someone w/ more experience will chime in to assist, hope it works out for ya.
    If you F-up, man up, take responsibility for your actions

Young Puffer Fish

Thank you for the pointers Habanolover. Since this is my first time encountering mold. Can mold be developed as short as a few days? Is this kind of white mold just the beginning and as long as it does not turn greenish blue, is it okay to smoke them?

Not Here

Quote Originally Posted by stephen_bj View Post
    Thank you for the pointers Habanolover. Since this is my first time encountering mold. Can mold be developed as short as a few days? Is this kind of white mold just the beginning and as long as it does not turn greenish blue, is it okay to smoke them?
    Stephen, yes mold can grow in a relatively short time. You have to remmber that there are mold spores everywhere by the millions. In the air you breathe, the food you eat, etc. As was pointed out above, it usually starts growing on the wrapper and you can just use a cloth to wipe it off. When it is in the foot like yours is you will need to clip until there is none left. You definitely don't want to take the risk of smoking them as is. I have wiped mold off of plenty of cigars and then smoked them with no ill effects or tastes from it.
    BIA!!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish CopGTP's Avatar

As long as the conditions are right, mold can start to grow in as little as a couple hours. My biggest question is why you are getting the mold? The pictures definitely look suspect, the white in the grain may be mold, but really can't be sure.
    PPD: Cigar Bombing Task Force

Young Puffer Fish

Actually I was already being super careful. After I seasoned the humidor, I took out the humidifier, then I placed the OPUSXs inside. The humidity then was around 67-68 and it dropped down to 65 after one day. The Cigars were in there for maybe 5 days max. The only thing I could think of is the temperature. It was probably in the low 70ís and high 60ís most of the time. The reason why only the foot was infected is because that was the only surface that had direct contact with the air in the Humi. I only opened up the cellophane and left the cigar inside. Probably 30% was opened and I think 4 was badly infected, 5 was mildly infected, but almost all the 30% (but 1) had mold at the foot. The only other reason that I could think of is that the humidor is already filled with Mold spores, thatís why it didnít take much for the mold to grow.

Young Puffer Fish

I think the problem is not contained yet. I just found that some of the cigars that I've migrated from their original box into my old Humidor are also having the same problem. This time is at the foot of my R&J Churchills that are in aluminum tubes. The box was purchased in 2001 and this is the first time for me to open them. What I did was to unscrew the cap and left the cigar in the tube. I will post some photos later.

If you answered this question I do apologize but have you calibrated you RH device? Its weird that you are still having this problem especially when you stored the smokes in another box--unless they were highly infected!
    ViVat Jesus!

Young Puffer Fish

I did salt calibrated all my Hydros. One thing I remember now is that the humidity did spike up to over 75% when I recharged my sponge humidifier.

I've started a new thread on my MOLD issues.

The name of the THread is "Question on MOLD"

I really want to understand how they are formed, how to get rid of them and how to prevent this from happening again.