Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't get a lighter to work

This is a discussion on Can't get a lighter to work within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; I got a Colibri torch lighter with built-in cutter from a seller on Ebay, but I can't get it to ...

Maturing Puffer Fish SanchoAnchovy's Avatar

Can't get a lighter to work

I got a Colibri torch lighter with built-in cutter from a seller on Ebay, but I can't get it to work.

I've filled it from empty, given it a blast of butane down the nozzle, held it at all angles and tried every other trick I can find on the net.

Any last-ditch suggestions to get it working before I return it?

Re: Can't get a lighter to work

Try blowing a shot of compressed air at the jet.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I've NEVER had a Colibri that worked correctly. If you can, get your money back..
    I'm just a cigar and coffee WHORE..

Quote Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
    Try blowing a shot of compressed air at the jet.
    Actually down the nozzle? I gave that a go already, with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    I've NEVER had a Colibri that worked correctly. If you can, get your money back..
    Yeah, I haggled pretty hard with the seller because they're notoriously unreliable, but I got a decent price.

Still no good if it doesn't work.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Evonnida's Avatar

Can you tell what the problem is? Is it not sparking? Did you try lighting it with another lighter to make sure the butane was coming out properly?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Return it and get a Ronson.

If you can't find a Ronson let me know and I'll check the store to see if they're in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Evonnida View Post
    Can you tell what the problem is? Is it not sparking? Did you try lighting it with another lighter to make sure the butane was coming out properly?
    That's a great tip, but it's sparking fine and won't light off another flame.

Can't hear any gas flow, though. There's no fuel gauge but as far as I can tell it's full. That seems more like the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Return it and get a Ronson.

If you can't find a Ronson let me know and I'll check the store to see if they're in stock.
    I'd love to, but importing them to Australia is a nightmare.

I've actually got enough lighters. It's the lighter-cutter combo that prompted me to buy the Colibri.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader taltos's Avatar

Try bleeding the lighter again and refill until you get blowback from the filler. It is very possible that there is an airlock in the fuel line and a rebleed might cure the problem. Had this problem with my Blazer and my suggested fix cured the problem. Sometimes warming the lighter on a heating pad will also help clear blockages and make the lighter work. Hope this helps.

Paul
    Til the end like a friend stands by you again,
    And I wouldn't change a thing.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taltos View Post
    Try bleeding the lighter again and refill until you get blowback from the filler. It is very possible that there is an airlock in the fuel line and a rebleed might cure the problem. Had this problem with my Blazer and my suggested fix cured the problem. Sometimes warming the lighter on a heating pad will also help clear blockages and make the lighter work. Hope this helps.
    X2.... Purge the tank.

If your not sure what we are talking about, not insulting your intelligence at all, you do this. Take a pen or other type of blunt headed instrument and push down the filler neck until nothing else comes out. After you do that wait a few with it in your warm hands and do it again. Do this multiple times until nothing else comes out. Refill and giver her a try.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    X2.... Purge the tank.

If your not sure what we are talking about, not insulting your intelligence at all, you do this. Take a pen or other type of blunt headed instrument and push down the filler neck until nothing else comes out. After you do that wait a few with it in your warm hands and do it again. Do this multiple times until nothing else comes out. Refill and giver her a try.
    X3....
    This worked for me also. I had a lighter where the small wire (technical jargon) That delivers the spark was pushed to to side. I just bent it back to the middle.
    Hope these newb ideas help!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader taltos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    X2.... Purge the tank.

I neglected to mention this; you can tell when the purge is done because you will not hear any gas escaping and when you push on the fill tube, you will not feel any resistance.

Paul
    Til the end like a friend stands by you again,
    And I wouldn't change a thing.

Well, now I can get a tiny bud of flame on full bore, but nothing capable of lighting a cigar.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen, but it looks like I'll be returning this. I should just get that Xikar Ultra combo I wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by SanchoAnchovy View Post
    Well, now I can get a tiny bud of flame on full bore, but nothing capable of lighting a cigar.

Thanks for the help, gentlemen, but it looks like I'll be returning this. I should just get that Xikar Ultra combo I wanted...
    That seems to be an issue with Colibri lighters. Remove the flame adjustment stop so that you can turn it up.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Had my fair share of Colibris and just don't like em. I could probably get it to work but it requires getting inside of it and doing some work...but they just keep doing the same thing and they are very temperamental. If you don't charge them almost perfectly and purge them at least 3 times they are a PIA. I think exchanging it for a better quality lighter is your best bet. Even with a Ronson you can half ass charge it and it will work...go figger!
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish iMarc's Avatar

Seems like I have to purge any and all of my lighters every 3rd fill or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast