Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questionable Dupont authenticity...

This is a discussion on Questionable Dupont authenticity... within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; Hey all. I wanted to see if there are any S.T. Dupont enthusiasts out there that can maybe help me ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes aphexacid's Avatar

Questionable Dupont authenticity...

Hey all. I wanted to see if there are any S.T. Dupont enthusiasts out there that can maybe help me with indentifying wether or not this lighter i'm looking at is the real deal, or a fugazi.

Its at my local B&M, and although theyre an authorised Dupont dealer, they also buy used lighters sometimes.

I have own 5 Dupont & Davidoff Prestige lighters myself, and have been a Dupont fan for years. I have seen fakes up close, and have identified a few key features to fingering the fugazi's.

A) they dont have the color of dupongaz that lighter takes underneath the fill valve screw.

B) almost all say 'Laque De Chine' on the bottom, even when the lighter is obviosuly not.

C) The dead giveaway is the actual valve itself. All the fakes have a very skinny/cheap stem valve. not like the authentic fatter dupont one.

Now, this lighter is tricky becuase my buddy that manages the place wouldnt sell it to me becaudse he "doesnt have a good feeling about it".

I on the other hand cant decide. Its a gold dust gatsby. it has the proper green paint under the fill valve screw. the actual fill valve stem looks like a dupont. it definitely feels real.

The thing thats messing me up is it has a cigar burner...i have never seen a fake with a cigar burner.

I know the details are slim, but just by what i have described, what do you guys think?

all opinions are welcome.

i did convince him to sell it to me finally. he said if i really wanted it, i could have it for what they paid. which is 200. i said i'd think about it.

thanks all!
    We are the new generation of smokers ~ open minded with enormous hunger for knowledge... We look to the future with fervent eyes and fingers crossed, hoping to educate the one or two on the way. What an adventure! - Pepito

Re: Questionable Dupont authenticity...

PM RJT.

He has some knowledge on lighters.
    Smoke-em if you got em

RJT
    Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes RJT's Avatar

RJT here.... I will say this, some of the fakes are hard to tell. From what you are describing it sounds real to me. I have never seen a fake with a "cigar burner" I have seen some fakes with the paint under the fill valve screw though. Here is your delima a good fake will run you around $100 to $150.00 depending on where you can get one. They are cheaper ones out there but not as good of quality. A real Gold Dust Gatsby around $800.00 to 1K so if it is a fake you are paying only a little too much if it is real then you are getting a real good deal. I hope this helps. RJT
    Last edited by RJT; 09-14-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid

A) they dont have the color of dupongaz that lighter takes underneath the fill valve screw.

B) almost all say 'Laque De Chine' on the bottom, even when the lighter is obviosuly not.

C) The dead giveaway is the actual valve itself. All the fakes have a very skinny/cheap stem valve. not like the authentic fatter dupont one.
    I have seen fakes WITH the fill cap painted. They seem to all be painted yellow/gold. Also look at the square on the lid. The square could be milled/engraved slightly crooked.
    ---->Bill

Quote Originally Posted by RJT
    RJT here.... I will say this, some of the fakes are hard to tell. From what you are describing it sounds real to me. I have never seen a fake with a "cigar burner" I have seen some fakes with the paint under the fill valve screw though. Here is your delima a good fake will run you around $100 to $150.00 depending on where you can get one. They are cheaper ones out there but not as good of quality. A real Gold Dust Gatsby around $800.00 to 1K so if it is a fake you are paying only a little too much if it is real then you are getting a real good deal. I hope this helps. RJT

I told yah !
    Smoke-em if you got em

RJT

Quote Originally Posted by MrBill
    I have seen fakes WITH the fill cap painted. They seem to all be painted yellow/gold. Also look at the square on the lid. The square could be milled/engraved slightly crooked.
    You are correct most I have seen have been yellow/gold paint. RJT

By the way...does it come with the box and any of the paper work?
    Last edited by RJT; 09-14-2006 at 09:13 PM.

RJT

If it is a Gatsby model it should have green paint under the valve screw cover. RJT
    Last edited by RJT; 03-24-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Very nice! thanks so much for all the feedback! The price is listed for 595 because its used. I think my buddy thinks it could be a fake because of the guy that sold it, so he assumes since the guy seemed a bit shady the lighter could be fake?? i dont know, just speculation. the thing really seems legit to me. I think i'm gonna grab it. its a gorgeous lighter either way.

any more feedback is WELL appreciated!

thanks again fellas!
    We are the new generation of smokers ~ open minded with enormous hunger for knowledge... We look to the future with fervent eyes and fingers crossed, hoping to educate the one or two on the way. What an adventure! - Pepito

Quote Originally Posted by RJT
    You are correct most I have seen have been yellow/gold paint. RJT

By the way...does it come with the box and any of the paper work?
    Yeah, the boxes look good. So do the booklets.....but the warranty card misspellings are HORRENDOUS!!! These cards are total joke!!!

Now, there is a guy.....on eBay who I would put money on is selling knock offs as the real thing!!!! Its one thing to see a Dupont on eBay for $50 from China...you know its a fake. But for someone here in the US to ask $200-$400 for the same knock off is bad!!! I would report the guy, BUT since I actually haven't been robbed by him, I wouldn't want to start a possible libel suit!

**ARG!!!! Just browsed eBay!!! That guy has two lighters for sale!!!** This time he's selling a Line 1, and a Line 2!!!!
    Last edited by MrBill; 09-15-2006 at 08:14 PM.
    ---->Bill

actually all of the fugazi's i've seen have had equally horrible manuals.

the front and back cover are cheap paper and dull, not glossy and hard paper stock like the real deal. and on the inside, the fakes have recycled paper, thats a dead giveaway because its PINK! actually more salmon colored. and the thing is filled with misspellings!

be warned all! spend the extra dough, and get them from and authorized dealer!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mosesbotbol's Avatar

That's a tough one. I did not know the valves were colored and had to unscrew mine to see; and luckily it matches the picture in thread... I bought new from a dealer and then had the cigar burner put on a year later.

I would say "go for it" on the lighter if you are getting it that cheap. Worst case is you sell if for a little cheaper and take a hit? Getting it serviced sounds like the only way to tell at this point, and that is $60.00
    Do you speak Campagnolo - F1- Alfa Romeo - IWC - Robiola?

Young Puffer Fish Beekman Poole's Avatar

be warned all! spend the extra dough, and get them from and authorized dealer!
    I've got a couple of fakes.. I kinda like them.. seeing that I don't mind not giving any extra money to the french, I pick them up in china for about $30, I give them out to friends.. Since Duponts in general seem to have a margin which is not equal to their brand status, some healthy "compitition" should strighten them out

Coleman.

Heres an example. notice how the fake manuals cover is dull cheap looking paper (it might look a bit shiney in this shot, but its nothing like the real deal), and the from the top you can see the inside pages are salmon colored?

Last edited by aphexacid; 09-17-2006 at 03:31 AM.

And then look at the difference with the authentic manual. glossy, top quality paper, WHITE inside pages.

...spend the extra dough, and get them from and authorized dealer!
    You don't always have to spend extra $, it depends on the dealer

But I agree, for something like this, it is definitely best to buy authorized. It's like buy a box of Cohibas from someone on the street.

~Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast