Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Humidor and a quality Cutter that wont break the bank?

This is a discussion on First Humidor and a quality Cutter that wont break the bank? within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; Hey everyone, This is actually my first post on the forum, I have read the forum many times for quality ...

Newbie in the ocean

First Humidor and a quality Cutter that wont break the bank?

Hey everyone,

This is actually my first post on the forum, I have read the forum many times for quality advice about my new hobby and such and you have all always been tremendously helpful, so much so that this is the first forum that I have ever actually signed up for and used.

Now to my question(s). I am in the market for a new humidor(my first). I am currently using a tupperdor and it works fine, however, part of the hobby for me is the elegance and the beauty both in the cigars, and in the accessories. I will continue to use a tupperdor to hold any "overflow" that i have but would really like a nice, quality desktop humidor for the majority of my collection. I have decided on getting a desktop that has a rating of 65-100. This is far more then i expect to accrue, however if i do start buying more an more over the years I will likely store the rest in a tupperdor or when the time come buy a new humidor. I am actually a college student so I cannot manage to have anything much bigger than a 100 count.

I previously bought a mountaineer by craftsman's bench and it was CRAP. the outside look was appealing, but at the end of the day it was over priced for the POS that it was. Now heres the kicker, I cannot spend over 150 dollars and more preferably i would only spend 100 or so. The brands that have really caught my attention are Savoy and Diamond Crown, although I read the Diamond Crown is now owned by J.C. Newman, the same owners of craftman's bench and that they are now made in China. It seems impossible to get on in my price range anyway.

So with that said I am open to ANYTHING that is not a coolidor/tupperdor, I am dead set on an actual humidor. Also if you have any advice on reputable dealers that have great prices for the items you recommend that would be very helpful.

As far as cutters go, I am really only interested in a double guillotine. I cant spend an arm and a leg for this either (surprise), really would like something for less than 30, and I care more that it works and that it will last long and cut correctly than anything else. Aestectics is a plus but not one Im willing to pay graciously for.

I know that many of the posters on this forum will say that you get what you pay for. I just want to say that i completley agree, Im just hoping to get the most for my money because the fact is that I dont have loads of disposable income, I am a college student so Im trying to get the best of both worlds, with that, thanks again for all the past help that the members of this forum have provided me and probably millions of other smokers.

I greatly appreciate any and all input.

-Mark

Re: First Humidor and a quality Cutter that wont break the bank?

For around ten bucks you just can not go wrong with a Cuban Crafters Perfecto cutter and they seem to have a decent humidor, but I do not know or have experience with the CC boxes.

I realize the want/need of a great looking wood humidor but, on a budget, about the only humidor you will find in that price/size, you will probably have to settle for a Chinese box. Not that they are all bad, just hit or miss on decent sealing. Make sure of the return policy where ever you buy.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

If you are on a budget I would just check out humidors on Cbid. You can get something that looks nice for well under the price you stated. It will not be a Union made in the U.S.A. box but it should be serviceable and attractive. I have heard nothing but good reviews about the Cuban Crafters perfect cutter that Fuzzy mentioned also. I use a utility knife better than half the time anyway so I'm sure it is a step up from that
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Full grown Puffer Fish liquidicem's Avatar

Another vote for the Cuban Crafters cutter. No input on the humidor, I went with a cooler off the bat.

Newbie in the ocean

Just checked out the cuban crafters cutter, that is exactly what I was looking for, already ordered! Thanks for the quick response Fuzzy. On the Humidor front, let me amend my question slightly, in all of your opinons is the Ashton savoy line going to be the best quality I can get in the price range that I am suggesting/is a quality humi. I was specifically interested in the bubinga and the rosewood,but like all of them. Humidification is not an issue because I have a 4oz xikar beads. Also for diamond crown, if I could fund one for less than 150-180 I would be happy because I believe that they include a digital hygro.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Keep'em coming!

Puffer Fish with many spikes A.McSmoke's Avatar

I have a Cuban Crafter desktop and it holds really well, and has been doing so for years now. I also have a relative that has one and haven't heard him complain about it. I think they make a good first humidor for the price.

I remember one of the moderators Herf N Turf recommending Savoy to someone with the same question. His advice is pretty solid around here, so if he says they're well made for the price range, chances are they're decent.

Ditto on the Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter. Used mine last night.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

In regards to the cutter if you want to purchase one cutter that will last you a decade, check out the Xikar Xi/Xi2. From my experience they are the best cutters made today. Very smooth cutting action and the blade is stays sharp! At only $40-50 you're talking about purchasing one item for ten years.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

Puffer Fish with some spikes wctaylor89's Avatar

Look on cigarbid. I just bought the adirondack humidor (100ct) and it was $48, a great deal. I really like the box. I have a thread in cigar accessories that shows you some pics.

As far as cutters go, In have a $2 punch, a xikar v cut, and a cuban crafters pefect cutter. I would recommend all 3, just depends on what you prefer.

Newbie in the ocean

I checked out cigar bid and saw some nice ones, I also found a large, 100 ct, Savoy Bubinga New for 112 on smoking pipes dot com, I cant post links yet, it seems like a good deal to me. Is this a reputable retailer? and is this a good deal?

Puffer Fish with some spikes wctaylor89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoGiuseppe View Post
    I checked out cigar bid and saw some nice ones, I also found a large, 100 ct, Savoy Bubinga New for 112 on smoking pipes dot com, I cant post links yet, it seems like a good deal to me. Is this a reputable retailer? and is this a good deal?
    I wouldn't pay $112. You can find something much cheaper on cigarbid

Newbie in the ocean

If you go to 1st class humidors (cigarhumidors-online dot com) you'll see several humidors. I think I saw a 100ct for 48bux. Excellent customer service and fast shipping...I bought my 300ct there...good luck!

A Very Prickly Puffer MrMayorga's Avatar

I bought this humidor 15 years ago. I have never had a problem with it. It holds humidity very well. I like the looks of it also. You may not. With it priced at $100.00 that would leave you extra money to buy a nice Zikar cutter. Be aware that humidors set there count numbers with smaller cigars so if you stuffing it with Churchills or 60 RG monsters you will never get advertized capacity.

HUMIDOR LUCKY 7 - Thompson Cigar
    Nothing goes better with a magically delicious stogie than a ice cold bottle of home brew!

Full grown Puffer Fish jfeva0049's Avatar

i have this one as a desk top humi ;

5 Vegas Tradition Humidor - 100 Capacity (#1518784) - CigarBid.com

it works great. they have different cover art but the quality is not bad. i have never had any problems and i also use beads inside. if this is your first humi, i would advise to not spend alot of money on your first humi, chances are that you will end up buying a bigger one down the road anyways. good luck.

Puffer Fish with many spikes seegarfan's Avatar

Ditto on the Cuban Crafters cutter. Have several and they work great. They also replaced one that had dulled for no charge.

I understand your position as far as price, but as someone has already mentioned buy as big as you can afford. You will be glad you did, as cigars tend to "grow" into the size of their environment.

One other suggestion is if it comes with an analog hygrometer: Throw it as far as you can and go pick it up and throw it again. They are junk. I prefer the digital ones the have a calibration button.

Welcome to the slope!
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you believe criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because the neighbors have too many kids.

I agree with other comments on Cuban Crafters Perfect cutter. They are on Amazon, are easy to use and from the comments, the company backs up the lifetime warranty.

Re humidor, I received a Yukon one from CI as a gift. It will hold about 35-40 cigars of assorted sizes. Most importantly, I spent the time to season it properly. It got through the winter at 66-68% RH, and went to 70-71% this summer. In winter, gave ti a little more humidification (a Drymistat tube) and in summer backed off on humidification. Overall, a good experience with a humi that did not cost a fortune.

I also echo what I saw re deals on Cbid on humis. Some very good pricing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast