Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Humidor @ 80% ??

This is a discussion on Humidor @ 80% ?? within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; I have one of those rectangle gel humidifiers in my 50ct humidor. I have maybe 25 sticks in it. I ...

Young Fish

Humidor @ 80% ??

I have one of those rectangle gel humidifiers in my 50ct humidor. I have maybe 25 sticks in it. I just bought a hygroset II digital hygro. Salt bag calibrated it. Its reading 80% in my humidor. Should I be worried about mold or anything at this humidity. Why is it so high? What should I do to lower it?

Thanks in advance fellas

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Re: Humidor @ 80% ??

Mold, mold. Mold... And your sticks will taste like bitter wet logs...

Gel humidifiers give off excessive amounts of moisture... But the do no absorb any.. In many peoples opinion they are junk.

Put your sticks in a sealed Tupperware and then open your humidor to bring RH down.

Get some 65rh boveda packs.... Once your humidor stabilizes at 65 you can add the sticks back.
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

+1 on the gels being garbage. I had a similar situation but caught it before It got that far out. I was doing good at 70% after I filled the humi with fresh sticks. Two weeks later I go back and peep and the hygo is up to 75%. I pulled the gel out immediately and chunked in uncharged HF beads that brought it down in a couple of days. The gel found its way into the local landfill.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post

Gel humidifiers give off excessive amounts of moisture... But the do no absorb any.. In many peoples opinion they are junk.

Put your sticks in a sealed Tupperware and then open your humidor to bring RH down.

Get some 65rh boveda packs.... Once your humidor stabilizes at 65 you can add the sticks back.
    Yes to this ^

With a desktop humidor you can't beat the ease of Boveda packs. I go with KL and Bovedas is my freezer-dor too.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Young Fish

Took that gel thing out. Put my smokes in a gallon size zip lock and put em on the top shelf of our cedar closet. When I was leaving for work tonight the humidor was reading 71%. I have only been using that gel pack for a week or so. Should I be concerned about mold at all? Eveything looked/smelled ok.

Also- Is there a android app for this forum?

Thanks again gents

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by KcJason1 View Post

How long do those packs last? Whats a good price on em?

No longer a community member.

You can get a a 12 pack for >$40 on Amazon. In a sealed environment they last for a few months, but they can be "recharged" by placing them in an airtight container with distilled water (in a separate compartment). You use some while the other recharge and then you swap them.

Young Fish

Is it just personal preference between the 65rh and the 69rh?

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Pretty much personal pref, yes. I was keeping them at or near 70% at first and had numerous burn problems.
    Brought them down to 65% or even a bit lower and things are working out much better for me. Sticks taste better too IMO.
    It also seems to take a wet cigar far longer to dry out when the ambient is 70% as opposed to 65%

Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    Is it just personal preference between the 65rh and the 69rh?
    Yes, but it seems that most experienced puffers promote the 65/65 combo rather than the 70/70. Wet smokes have been an issue for me. Bringing my RH down to 65 has helped immensely. But it is all personal preference.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    In a sealed environment they last for a few months, but they can be "recharged" by placing them in an airtight container with distilled water (in a separate compartment). You use some while the other recharge and then you swap them.
    in a sealed environment (i mean, airtight) they last forever.
    i've got packs in use for two years, and they got fuller, absorbing exess moisture released by wet cigars

in a typical wooden humidor, it depends on how stable it is, and how much air leaks in or out.
    could be a week or 2, or 4, or a few months

J.

Disinterested

What this is telling me is that, not only does your humidor have too much moisture, but more importantly, so do the cigars. I'd get them out of the bag and just let them sit out, exposed to the hopefully drier air in the house. I know parts of OH can be pretty humid and we've had the highest humidity this summer I've ever seen. If it's above 60% inside, you'll have to use a hair dryer to get the humidor down and then let the humidor dehumidify the sticks.

While I'm a fan of Boveda, beads would work better for this.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    While I'm a fan of Boveda, beads would work better for this.
    i hate to disagree with you but...

in a high humidity environment, i believe that a dry boveda pack will be able to absorb way more moisture without any maintenance than a few tubes of beads. the amount of water a single pack can absorb is gigantic, compared to beads. you're going to have to dry out the beads every few weeks.

ps: i use and like both beads and boveda packs.
    but the boveda packs will win every time when it comes to buffer capacity.

J.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenph View Post
    i hate to disagree with you but...

in a high humidity environment, i believe that a dry boveda pack will be able to absorb way more moisture without any maintenance than a few tubes of beads. the amount of water a single pack can absorb is gigantic, compared to beads. you're going to have to dry out the beads every few weeks.

ps: i use and like both beads and boveda packs.
    but the boveda packs will win every time when it comes to buffer capacity.

J.
    Very glad you brought this up, J. I knew I should have expounded on it.

You are correct that a Boveda can absorb more. However, they do not absorb as quickly. Boveda release moisture far better than they absorb. Using and charging both as I can tell you have, I'm sure you know this. That's the only reason my preference falls to beads in this case. Either will work.

You are also correct regarding the need to dry beads more often.

Feel free to disagree with me any time. It only makes for better discussion.