Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How Long Does Your Butane Lighter Last Between Fills?

This is a discussion on How Long Does Your Butane Lighter Last Between Fills? within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; I've got a couple Xikar butane lighters and seem to have trouble lighting more than 2 cigars (usually 50 RG ...

Newbie in the ocean

How Long Does Your Butane Lighter Last Between Fills?

I've got a couple Xikar butane lighters and seem to have trouble lighting more than 2 cigars (usually 50 RG or so) with them on a full tank of butane. I follow the instructions that came with them, and am using Lotus butane, which seems to have good reviews online. But by the time I start to light a 3rd cigar, it runs out before I can get the foot toasted. They're 2 different models, and both have the same problem.

Should I be expecting more from the lighter, or is 2 cigars all they will do? Any tips on what may be the problem here?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Re: How Long Does Your Butane Lighter Last Between Fills?

I generally get 8-10 sticks out of a fill.
    Dont know which model you have but my bet is its on the fill method. This is perhaps the largest contributor to short fill times.
    When filling the lighter invert it and hold down the button as if burning a flame. You don't want it lit but you do want the valve to be open to expel gas so liquid can fill the space.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Is it a soft flame, single/double/triple/quad torch?
    Because I just bought a triple flame & experienced that I could only light two sticks before I had to refill. My single torch gives me about 6-8 sticks between refills.

Young Puffer Fish

The following is from the Xikar website. This method has never failed for me and I can say that doing a purge has greatly increased the number of cigars that can be lit before a refill.

FILLING AND RE-FILLING LIGHTER
    1. Release all tank pressure by pressing on the inlet valve with a small screwdriver or a XIKAR MTX Multi Tool bleeder. Hold the lighter vertical while bleeding valve. Repeat this several times until all fuel/ gas pressure is released.
    2. Set flame adjustment to lowest setting (-).
    3. Turn lighter in upside down position and insert butane tank tip directly on the fuel valve.?Do not shake the can of butane! This increases the amount of propellent in the mixture that goes into the lighter, and should not be done. Press down firmly for about 5 seconds.
    4. Before igniting lighter, wait 3-4 minutes.? This allows excess butane to evaporate and gas inside lighter to reach room temperature.
    5. Set flame level to desired height by turning flame adjuster wheel.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I get 4 or 5 out of each fill on my xicar single torch, but I touch up a lot too.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Maturing Puffer Fish .cigardude.'s Avatar

Try the instructions Tim posted and maybe buy a butane that's been 5 times refined.
    I use the Vector (5x refined) butane and never had a problem lighting at least 5 cigars before I had to refill again.

All the above advice seems to work for me. Though not a direct answer to your question and having had so many lighters that seemed problematic, I finally got a cheapo torch from Harbor Freight and never looked back. This torch seems to light more cigars than I can smoke in a month (one to four a day) and works with the cheapest drug store variety of butane.

If I decide to smoke somewhere other than at home I take my trusty Ronson Jet Light that seems to light enough cigars for a weekend.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

All fighters have different size fuel tanks... Some small all the way up to extra large... Then it all depends on now many flames lighter has... Single torch, double torch, triple torch, soft flame.. Etc.. To determine how long that fuel will last.. Also how high the flame is turned up can play a factor.

I had a Xikar triple it would only last 3-4 cigars... Then I got a DuPont Maxijet single torch and it probably last 10+ cigars including touch ups!
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Maturing Puffer Fish .cigardude.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    All the above advice seems to work for me. Though not a direct answer to your question and having had so many lighters that seemed problematic, I finally got a cheapo torch from Harbor Freight and never looked back. This torch seems to light more cigars than I can smoke in a month (one to four a day) and works with the cheapest drug store variety of butane.

If I decide to smoke somewhere other than at home I take my trusty Ronson Jet Light that seems to light enough cigars for a weekend.

I've got the same one, great torch.

Quote Originally Posted by .cigardude. View Post
    I've got the same one, great torch.
    One of the best eight buck purchases I have made! Well over a year outside and it still fires right up. When new it was a bright orange.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the info. Although the instructions don't say to do it, it does seem to help if I press the button to vent the lighter as I fill, as mentioned above. I'm getting 5-6 now from a fill.

All of my lighters are single torch, with the gas setting at about 1/2 during use.

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    Thanks for the info. Although the instructions don't say to do it, it does seem to help if I press the button to vent the lighter as I fill, as mentioned above. I'm getting 5-6 now from a fill.

All of my lighters are single torch, with the gas setting at about 1/2 during use.
    drain you lighter completly by pressing the fill valve on the bottom prior to filling... if not the pressure/fuel ratio will get all jacked up and your lighter will run out of fuel/pressure faster..
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Depends on the lighter fuel capacity, lighter flame height and your lighting style. I'm heavy on fuel as I typically fully light the cigar with the flame without puffing. Here are stats on my most used lighters.

Xikar XTX double flame lights about 8-10

Lotus 3800 series lights 5-7 cigars

My Blazer CG-001 lit 26 cigars on a single tank.
    Last edited by Ky70; 09-02-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes waltah's Avatar

I only get about 5 smokes out of my Xikar Ultra, but I've switched to using the Alec Bradley burner for toasting and lighting and only using the Xikar for touchups. The burner will last approx 500 yrs between fill ups
    The Xikar is super thin and I was only expecting to light a few smokes with it.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish FireRunner's Avatar

My favorite and most used lighter is the Xikar Flash. It's very flat, slim and easy to carry. I get about 6-7 cigars lite before it runs out. It's perfect for me since I always carry it with me and whenever I'm at my desk I just fill it up.
    20 years of smoking and still going strong *cough* *cough*...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast