Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

fan or no fan beads bottom or top or both

This is a discussion on fan or no fan beads bottom or top or both within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; I'm building a wineador and I was wondering if anyone needed an additional fan for circulation. My take is the ...

TJB

fan or no fan beads bottom or top or both

I'm building a wineador and I was wondering if anyone needed an additional fan for circulation. My take is the fan inside constantly runs so it wouldn't be an issue. Also I plan on putting 2 lbs of HF beads on the bottom only. Anyone else think this is okay? Its a 28 bottle whynter model by the way.
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

Puffer Fish with some spikes cutpaperglue's Avatar

Re: fan or no fan beads bottom or top or both

I've got a newair and use litter for humidification, but so far my experience had been that the unit's own fan is plenty to circulate the air. I split my litter up into three portions: a big bag at the bottom, a small bag in the middle, and a drilled pint takeout tub on the top shelf. It holds very steady if I can stop myself from constantly opening the door (very dry here the winter). I keep a sponge in another cut down takeout tub on the top shelf to spray with distilled water if I see rh start to drop.

It's not the prettiest setup, but it works. What I find made the biggest difference was putting my humidification media in bags (homemade, but you can buy the aquarium bags) rather than non-porous containers. It's all about exposing as much surface area as possible.

TJB

Quote Originally Posted by cutpaperglue View Post
    I've got a newair and use litter for humidification, but so far my experience had been that the unit's own fan is plenty to circulate the air. I split my litter up into three portions: a big bag at the bottom, a small bag in the middle, and a drilled pint takeout tub on the top shelf. It holds very steady if I can stop myself from constantly opening the door (very dry here the winter). I keep a sponge in another cut down takeout tub on the top shelf to spray with distilled water if I see rh start to drop.

It's not the prettiest setup, but it works. What I find made the biggest difference was putting my humidification media in bags (homemade, but you can buy the aquarium bags) rather than non-porous containers. It's all about exposing as much surface area as possible.
    Did you experiment with this or was this your method from the beginning?
    "Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." George Burns

No longer a community member.

FAN.

Put most beads on bottom and some on top.

The wetter beads should be on the bottom as humidity rises.

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Did you experiment with this or was this your method from the beginning?
    I experimented a little. Started with just the big bag at the bottom, with about 1.5 lbs of KL. When I found that my humidity wasn't recovering as quickly as I'd like I added the extra at the top and middle. Those probably have another pound between them.

I started using the sponge tray when I got afraid that spraying directly was splashing my sticks. Now I spray the sponge outside and put it back in. I figure the one fan is giving me plenty of circulation because the wineador sucks the added moisture out of that sponge in just a few hours.

I keep two hygros in there: an accurite in the middle shelf and a hygroset 2 at the bottom. They are pretty much always within 1% of each other.

TJB

I experimented a little. Started with just the big bag at the bottom, with about 1.5 lbs of KL. When I found that my humidity wasn't recovering as quickly as I'd like I added the extra at the top and middle. Those probably have another pound between them.

I started using the sponge tray when I got afraid that spraying directly was splashing my sticks. Now I spray the sponge outside and put it back in. I figure the one fan is giving me plenty of circulation because the wineador sucks the added moisture out of that sponge in just a few hours.

I keep two hygros in there: an accurite in the middle shelf and a hygroset 2 at the bottom. They are pretty much always within 1% of each other.
    Okay I understand it was a recovery thing and not so much not spreading the humidity around. I wonder if HF beads will be different.

No, I think it helps keep rh more even around the fridge too. All zones recover more quickly rather than a recovery that starts at the bottom and must be circulated to equalize the whole space.

I've never used HF beads, but everything I've read suggests that they are more efficient than KL pound for pound. But with both the prevailing wisdom seems to be that you can't use too much-- it's a matter of how much space you're willing to lose for cigars.

TJB

No, I think it helps keep rh more even around the fridge too. All zones recover more quickly rather than a recovery that starts at the bottom and must be circulated to equalize the whole space.

I've never used HF beads, but everything I've read suggests that they are more efficient than KL pound for pound. But with both the prevailing wisdom seems to be that you can't use too much-- it's a matter of how much space you're willing to lose for cigars.
    Ah ha! That makes very much sense about recover all over. That is what I was missing thank you. I will be spreading the beads around.

Glad I could clear up what I meant

A lot of this depends on how the wineador is set up. You're almost always going to have lots of room at the bottom for media. How much room you have upstairs is going to depend on if you've got shelves or drawers and how creative get with packaging additional media.

Off the top of my head, I can imagine a setup where you have a long skinny tube or "sock" of media at the very back of each shelf or drawer. By having more individual units, each could be smaller and less obtrusive not to mention increasing the evenness of humidity regulation. Naturally, these could be smaller still if you use beads rather than KL. The only limits are your budgets of money and time!