Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Attaching Hygrometers and Humidification devices

This is a discussion on Attaching Hygrometers and Humidification devices within the Cigar Accessory Questions forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; So, how does everyone attach their hygrometers and humidification devices? Some humidors come with a metal plate in the lid ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Strangg1's Avatar

Attaching Hygrometers and Humidification devices

So, how does everyone attach their hygrometers and humidification devices? Some humidors come with a metal plate in the lid and you can use magnets to attach them, some do not. Right now, in my older humidor I just have the hygrometer and humdifier just laying across the top of the dividers. I'm wanting to attach them to the lid and clean it up a bit. I was considering velcro or magnets with adhesive backing but got to thinking, is it possible that the adhesive used to attach the velcro or magnets to the box and the devices could alter the flavor? Is there really any other option other than velcro, or magnets with adhesive backing? Thank you for any advice.

~S
    The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
    Samuel Adams, During the Massachusetts U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Attaching Hygrometers and Humidification devices

to piggyback off this topic, what is the rationale behind sticking these to your humidor lids? is it just a matter of convenience, or is it actually a more accurate place to measure humidity?

I've used both methods, dending on the item being attached.

I find that the heavy-duty "industrial strength" velcro works best. The glue on the back of this type also seems to stick much better, since it's designed with a greater holding power to go along with the greater holding power of the velcro istself.

I've never experienced any taste imparted on the cigars.

The strips of this velcro are available at Homeless Depot, Lowe's, etc. I would imagine that fabric/sewing shops probably have it as well.

INSERT CLEVER, COMICAL WITTICISM HERE

[SIZE="2"].[/SIZE]

Puffer Fish with some spikes Strangg1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gegtik View Post
    to piggyback off this topic, what is the rationale behind sticking these to your humidor lids? is it just a matter of convenience, or is it actually a more accurate place to measure humidity?

I just want them out of the way, instead of laying across the dividers. If they were attached to the lid i wouldn't have to move them everytime I want to grab a cigar from the center section of my humi. I don't htink it is anymore accurate, but I'm lazy, and tired of having to move things out of the way to get at my cigars.

~S
    The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
    Samuel Adams, During the Massachusetts U.S. Constitution ratification convention, 1788

Quote Originally Posted by gegtik View Post
    You may get a percent or two fluctuation from top to bottom of the humi, depending on airflow. Humid air tends to rise, as it is in the process of releasing moisture, making it less dense than dry air that is in the process of absorbing moisture from the air. Hence, you will probably get a percentage point (give or take) higher reading from the top of the humi than you would if you placed it in the bottom. I guess then ideally a hygro is best stuck to the side somewhere in the middle of a cooler or cabinet.

This all depends on the size of you humi as well. For a desktop with very little room from top to bottom, I would place mine on the top simply for convenience sake. I just have my sensor for the weather station rested in the middle of the humi (a cooler).

Hope that helps.
    You couldn't pay me enough to post here...Just sayin'

Full grown Puffer Fish johnnybot3000's Avatar

My humi has a humidification device that is under the lid. There is also a magnet under the lid where I put my hygrometer. It's a small humi so I don't lose space in the box, and it is convenient to read when I open it.

I've used velcro. I don't like the way it makes the hygrometer stick out more. It takes up cigar space. I've tried flush mount magnets. That's better. But the best option for me is to use the cigar shaped hygrometers. I just set them in with the cigars. And no, a lid mount isn't any better that any other place. It's just usually the best out of the way spot.